PDA

View Full Version : Gym log app?

Mogg
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey does anyone know of any good gym log apps? Im looking for an app that I can not only keep a log of my weights, set, reps... but also set goals for next week workout. I.e if i squated 185 4 times 10 next week i want to make a goal of 185 4 times 12... Also looking to keep track of things such as time each workout took and body weight and so on.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

mo_money2supe
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
You could try logging everything into Fitocracy. They have an app to access their webpage, but it's mostly a web-based forum of sorts. There's a notes section that allows you to set goals for the next week; not sure if there's anything regarding time though. Again, you could enter your time into the notes section of each exercise.

ArjayAquino
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I use All Fitness. It has a ton of exercises or you can add your own. It also allows you to create a workout routine out of those exercises.

brucebanner
11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I've tried a couple apps but I find the most effective thing for me is physically writing into a journal/logbook.

Might be something you could try. :dunno:

swak
11-20-2012, 10:39 PM
On that note, when do you fill it out? After workout (ie lockerroom), or during workout?

I've always written down after but curious what you find works best

Mogg
11-20-2012, 11:25 PM
I currently carry a log book and write it down as i go kinda thing just thought that if i have my phone for music anyways i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

bigbadboss101
11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Jefit may be? Check it out, I did read some good review on it.
I bring a book with me to the gym and log my exercises on Fitocracy.

davidI
11-21-2012, 12:40 AM
I use a small journal that has a pen clip. It's perfect.

I'm now a firm believer of pre-planning a program and sticking to it. I used to just go to the gym and go by feel. It always used to feel like a great workout, but I didn't see the same gains I do now.

Before going to the gym, I write down everything with blanks to fill in and then write down the numbers as I go. Sometimes my hand is shaking it's tough to write, which is the other benefit of just having pre-fillable blanks.

An example of my pre-workout journal today is:

Date: ________________

Weight:

Warm-Up - Skipping

Bench: 5x95, 5x115, 3x140, 5x170, 3x195, 1+x215 = _______

DB Bench:
15x_______
15x_______
15x_______
15x_______
15x_______

DB Row
10x_______
10x_______
10x_______
10x_______
10x_______

When assessing what weight I'm going to use for my accessory movements, I always flip back to see how I did the last week and try to improve upon that. It has worked really well so far.

For calorie counting I used MyFitnessPal. After a couple of weeks of tracking I had a pretty good idea for how much to eat daily, so I no longer track calories / macros on a daily basis. I just try to stick to what feels about right based on my previous experience from tracking.

brucebanner
11-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by swak
On that note, when do you fill it out? After workout (ie lockerroom), or during workout?

I've always written down after but curious what you find works best

I write down the exercises of the day in the locker room and if not just after stretch. I fill in the information as I go, after each exercise.

My book looks something like this:

Exercise Set Rep Weight
Bench 5 10
Incline 5 10

etc etc..

I fill in the weight used after I completed all sets.

I date each exercise day and days I weigh myself are noted as well.

This is the method that works best for me.

scboss
11-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I use a small journal that has a pen clip. It's perfect.

I'm now a firm believer of pre-planning a program and sticking to it. I used to just go to the gym and go by feel. It always used to feel like a great workout, but I didn't see the same gains I do now.

Before going to the gym, I write down everything with blanks to fill in and then write down the numbers as I go. Sometimes my hand is shaking it's tough to write, which is the other benefit of just having pre-fillable blanks.

An example of my pre-workout journal today is:

Date: ________________

Weight:

Warm-Up - Skipping

Bench: 5x95, 5x115, 3x140, 5x170, 3x195, 1+x215 = _______

DB Bench:
15x_______
15x_______
15x_______
15x_______
15x_______

DB Row
10x_______
10x_______
10x_______
10x_______
10x_______

When assessing what weight I'm going to use for my accessory movements, I always flip back to see how I did the last week and try to improve upon that. It has worked really well so far.

Exactly what I do and is the absolute best way. If you dont write every set/rep down you will not know 100% what you need to beat in your next session. This is crucial for seeing any gains no matter the program.

vps
11-21-2012, 06:38 PM
ifitness has what you're looking for, it's not free but it's pretty cheap. I think I remember paying $1.99 for it or something and it allows you log what exercises you do (weight, reps, sets) and also keeps track of your weight, BF%, etc and graphs it for you. You can even export it to excel or a pdf to view on your computer