PDA

View Full Version : Globefish Closed Due to Cockroaches

Mibz
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
This is a couple weeks old but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere.

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/publichealth/envhealth/inspection_orders/Orders_Food/2012/Active/Globefish_Sushi_Izakaya_332_14_Street_NW_Calgary_November_5_2012_A.pdf

a. Large amount of cockroaches were found in the glue traps. Live cockroaches were found in the facility.
b. No recent pest control records were on site.
I'm a firm believer that, when it comes to Asian restaurants, cleanliness is inversely proportional to deliciousness, but cockroaches? Fuck that.

7thgenvic
11-21-2012, 08:53 PM
hahah NO WAY!!! Errrg. My favorite place to eat :( F*CK

Maxt
11-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Globefish seems to be milf central at lunch hour.

eglove
11-21-2012, 09:10 PM
cockroach sashimi?

Skidro
11-21-2012, 09:43 PM
hahhahaha damn....

lilmira
11-21-2012, 09:58 PM
spider roll!

Nothing bad about their food other than the price.

89s1
11-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
hahah NO WAY!!! Errrg. My favorite place to eat :( F*CK

Will this stop you from going back?

I'm just curious because I was eating at my favorite Mexican place once back home in Winnipeg and saw a mouse/vole run the length of the wall...

I kept eating, and didn't let the people I was with know at the time either. I didn't want them to get closed down, it was great food.

Was that wrong of me? *bites lip*

Kloubek
11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
If we all lived in a 3rd or even 2nd world country I'm pretty sure things like cockroaches and mice are the norm. I'm not sure there is much of any safety inspections or required standards in many places. We're just very pampered here, and expect the highest standard.

Our life longevity is also significantly higher. Maybe there's a link...

flipstah
11-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Cockroaches are nothing. I see a ton of them in Asia and business runs as usual.

Meh.

7thgenvic
11-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Will this stop you from going back?

I'm just curious because I was eating at my favorite Mexican place once back home in Winnipeg and saw a mouse/vole run the length of the wall...

I kept eating, and didn't let the people I was with know at the time either. I didn't want them to get closed down, it was great food.

Was that wrong of me? *bites lip* I'll be back this weekend :)

Mibz
11-22-2012, 08:09 AM
I think the only thing that's ever prevented me from going back to a restaurant was shitty food, but even then it has to be 2-3 bad meals in a row. Oh, and Dixon's. Just cause it's fucking Dixon's.

trevh
11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
http://www12.albertahealthservices.ca/health-inspections/

Have a favorite restaurant, take a peak. See what you can find...

Phl0xed
11-22-2012, 09:14 AM
That's a new one... I didn't even realize we had cockroaches in Calgary. I think I just died a little bit inside. Thankfully, it's the 14th ST location. Keep them away from the other two! ;)

FullFledgedYYC
11-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Another dirty asian restaurant... no surprise here.

CanmoreOrLess
11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
The real phrase from the report causing me concern, and this concern widens to all their locations:

b. No recent pest control records were on site.

This indicates a total FU to maintaining a clean and safe food environment for their customers and employees. One has to ponder this action as not an isolated event and blankets throughout their food preparations. I for one will not be a customer of this business until I read of a clean report. Up until this time I have found the food to be below average, really borderline on mall quality. Been there three times, months apart.

mo_money2supe
11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Anyone know if their sister company, Muku, right next door has/had any issues? I love going there for a cheap lunch if I can get my hands on a car2go from downtown on weekdays.

lilmira
11-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Hot soup will kill the germs. ;)

But I like chili goma at shikiji, I can use a bowl right now.

ga16i
11-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh that's the Kensington Location. The Chinook location is still open.

Good to see that it's run by actual Japanese people and not Chinese pretending to be Japanese haha. I would have expected this from a Chinese owner, Japanese owner not so much.

*I'm Chinese btw.

Choice
11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Made it on the front page of the Calgary Herald:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Globefish+Sushi+location+shut+down+after+cockroaches/7594893/story.html

Ntense_SpecV
11-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Red Ember up the street is my go-to place now for sushi. Better portion sizes and better prices with equal quality as Globefish.

urrforce
11-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
That's a new one... I didn't even realize we had cockroaches in Calgary. I think I just died a little bit inside. Thankfully, it's the 14th ST location. Keep them away from the other two! ;)

what if they do stock transfers between restaurants lol

i would think mostly if not all restaurants have bugs and mice they just need to be on top of things and try to keep the pest numbers down right

shadowz
11-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Reflects the quality of their food the past couple years, used to be a great place I now avoid this place

BigDL
11-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Huh the link is dead now, and its not on the Calgary Herald website anymore.

lilmira
11-22-2012, 03:06 PM
The ninjas got to the editor. ;)

npham
11-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
Red Ember up the street is my go-to place now for sushi. Better portion sizes and better prices with equal quality as Globefish.

This place is just as bad as Globefish. I wouldn't pay to eat there again. Lots of better places in the city.

prosh
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Globefish+reopened+less+than+hours+after+being+shut+down/7596621/story.html

Story's on the front page of Calgary news.

D'z Nutz
11-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by BigDL
Huh the link is dead now, and its not on the Calgary Herald website anymore.

This is why people should be quoting new articles instead of just throwing up links.

Globefish special today: Sushi Surprise!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01121/cockroach_1121479i.jpg

codetrap
11-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Globefish Sushi reopened less than 24 hours after being shut down by health inspectors for cockroaches

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Globefish+Sushi+reopened+less+than+hours+after+being+shut+down+health+inspectors+cockroaches/7596621/story.html#ixzz2CzmrA6FZ

A popular Calgary sushi restaurant was ordered to close its doors by Alberta Health Services after cockroaches were discovered in the eatery.

Health inspectors visited the Kensington location of Globefish Sushi on the afternoon of November 5 and found “large amounts” of the hardy insects in glue traps and in other parts of the facility.

The restaurant was permitted to reopen less than 24 hours later because it took the appropriate steps to get rid of the bugs, said Sarah Nunn, a safe food program supervisor with AHS.

“The management on site were very co-operative. They had immediate treatment from a pest control operator,” she noted.

“In other cases it wouldn’t necessarily be a one day closure. Generally, this is a good clean facility.”

Globefish — which also has locations in Marda Loop and on Macleod Trail — is a popular hangout for sushi buffs.

Owner Tammy Warabino said all of her restaurants are clean and nothing in the kitchens pose a danger to public health. “It sounds a lot worse than it is. We don’t have anything to hide — anyone can go back into our kitchens and have a look if they are curious,” she said.

For Warabino, the timing of the closure is unfortunate because Globefish was preparing to open seven days a week.

“I respect that health authorities have to do their job. Obviously it doesn’t look good for our reputation — but if there were bugs running around, it would be our biggest concern.”

Restaurant patrons may be squeamish at the thought of cockroaches in their favourite eateries, but pest control experts say the problem is more commonplace than people think.

“If the intent is to have every restaurant with zero pests, ninety per cent of them will be forced to shut down,” said John Patton, president of the Pest Management Association of Alberta.

“You can’t stop a pest from entering. What you want to do is stop it from nesting and proliferating.”

flipstah
11-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

This is why people should be quoting new articles instead of just throwing up links.

Globefish special today: Sushi Surprise!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01121/cockroach_1121479i.jpg

That looks crispy good. :drool:

XylathaneGTR
11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Globefish seems to be milf central at lunch hour.
...you don't say

bleu
11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Gross!

...I do love Muku though. Mmm...ramen.