PDA

View Full Version : gift ideas for supervisor

believe
11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm about to leave my current job and would like to give a token of my appreciation to my current boss.

He's from the UK, so I'd like to get him something that maybe he reminds him of home? Perhaps if anyone from London knows some particular things an older gentleman would enjoy, that would be great.

toyboy88
11-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Is he a football (ie. soccer) fan?

If so, and if he's from London, there's a few teams to choose from...maybe consider a (custom) soccer jersey for his favourite team?

Just a thought...met quite a few older football hooligans during my travels in London/UK! :D

dj_rice
11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
A jar of Vegemite

AE92_TreunoSC
11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
You have to be super careful of what team you pick...I would rather get him a nice pack of cigars or a bottle of liquor.

believe
11-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
You have to be super careful of what team you pick...I would rather get him a nice pack of cigars or a bottle of liquor.

i was thinking the same thing. wouldn't want to offend him with a chelsea jersey if he was an avid arsenal fan haha

G
11-22-2012, 10:21 PM
I thought gifts only travel down the totem pole?

swak
11-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Take him for a beer

speedog
11-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
A jar of Vegemite
Uh huh, so help us out and inform us what the connection is between the UK and Vegemite.

cancer man
11-23-2012, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Uh huh, so help us out and inform us what the connection is between the UK and Vegemite.

Read some history books.

sl888
11-23-2012, 03:22 AM
You want Marmite not Vegemite.

davidI
11-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Bottle of Whisky.

Palmiros
11-23-2012, 06:24 AM
http://na.wwrd.com/content/ebiz/wwrdus/invt/652383748002/652383748002_lg.jpg

C_Dave45
11-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by cancer man

Originally posted by speedog

Read some history books.

So I went and read some history....

Vegemite is a dark brown Australian food paste made from yeast extract...
Vegemite was invented in 1922 by food technologist Cyril P. Callister when, his employer, the Australian company Fred Walker & Co. gave him the task of developing a spread from the used yeast being dumped by breweries.
Vegemite was included in Australian Army rations and by the late 1940s was used in nine out of ten Australian homes.

Hmm...well I'm stumped. I'm still confused as to the connection between Vegemite and the UK.

thetransporter
11-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by believe
I'm about to leave my current job and would like to give a token of my appreciation to my current boss.

He's from the UK, so I'd like to get him something that maybe he reminds him of home? Perhaps if anyone from London knows some particular things an older gentleman would enjoy, that would be great.

just be-careful giving a Briton something:

watch at 14:00

http://wtso.net/movie/336-619_Lisa039s_Wedding.html

JZA70-TTR
11-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Diahrea in a cup but say its hot chocolate..

dj_rice
11-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Read some history books.

So I went and read some history....

Hmm...well I'm stumped. I'm still confused as to the connection between Vegemite and the UK.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I thought Brit's loved the Vegemite but I am mis-informed.

Caricar
11-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Aussies love the vegemite, British people prefer Bovril :)
I agree with a nice selection of liquers. A unique gift I got once for a research supervisor was an old print of the Spanish Armada - found a really nice frame for it. British people tend to LOVE history. When you grow up in England, you are also taught to write with a fountain pen (kinda like a calligraphy pen). A nice gift would be a nice fountain pen, but I think you'd have to go to a specialty shop to find one.

bleu
11-25-2012, 10:23 AM
My husband is British and he suggests Marmite. I've never tried it though. You could always look at that "Taste of Britain" store in MM.

Tram Common
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
A can of Kestrel.

believe
11-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Caricar
Aussies love the vegemite, British people prefer Bovril :)
I agree with a nice selection of liquers. A unique gift I got once for a research supervisor was an old print of the Spanish Armada - found a really nice frame for it. British people tend to LOVE history. When you grow up in England, you are also taught to write with a fountain pen (kinda like a calligraphy pen). A nice gift would be a nice fountain pen, but I think you'd have to go to a specialty shop to find one.

hmm ya! liking the fountain pen idea actually.

Read a bit more about this marmite thing...does anybody actually eat this? sounds awful

Benny
11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by believe

hmm ya! liking the fountain pen idea actually.

Read a bit more about this marmite thing...does anybody actually eat this? sounds awful

Yeah it's terrible. I'm not sure why people like it.

I dunno about the fountain pen. I lived in the UK for 6 years and I never heard anything about people learning to write with a fountain pen...

I'd just get him a nice bottle of scotch.

bleu
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes...there is a reason why I've never tried Marmite. It looks unappetizing, but he loves it. :dunno: