PDA

View Full Version : PMAC/SCMP designation...

dj_patm
11-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Anyone here have any experience with it, or know anything about it?

I'm strongly considering it but it's quite the commitment. Another few years of schooling during nights seems like the last thing I want to do right now and it's not exactly cheap, which sucks for me right now as I'm trying to avoid any big expenditures while saving for a downpayment. Plus you have to travel to Toronto for part of it... I guess I'm just trying to guage it's value.

On the plus side I (basically) finished the supply chain degree at MRU which apparently lets me skip the first two years of the training and obviously a professional designation will always look good on a resume. However, SCM is already pretty in-demand at the moment so once agian is it something that is really needed?

Any advice?

P.S. If you're curious PMAC is the Purchasing Management Association of Canada and SCMP stands for Supply Chain Management Professional

ricosuave
11-23-2012, 01:30 PM
my wife has it, ill get some info for you

11-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Get her to post it here - I also am curious.

I already work in the field as a purchaser, but the professional designation sure would look good on future resumes..

I am more curious if the designation would pay off more so than experiance in employers eyes ?

dj_patm
11-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh I better specify my situation too.

I'm basically done my degree at MRU with only one class left which I will be taking during the evenings in the winter semester while working full time at my current job.

I have roughly two years of SCM experience, one year on the logistics side and the other in my current position in inventory control.

I don't know if that helps or changes anything but hey...

ricosuave
11-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Rico's wife here - CPP and SCMP. I completed the program when it still was CPP, and before it switched over the the module-format and the SCMP.

I found the expensive part was the the seminars, not so much the classes. Lots of CPP's who have come before you complained long and loud and the cost of seminars to students, which is part why the switch was made to the module program.

Its totally worth it. Especially if you already have some supply chain or business education. If you have the chance to apply for advanced standing and skip some of the in-class modules - take it and run with it.

Be aware that once you have your designation, you can "piggy back" other designations from other supply chain organizations on top of it. (Just show your credentials and receive a "free" designation from a number of American and European supply chain organizations)

When your designation is complete, you will also qualify for certificates from the U of C in professional management or strategic planning. Plus or minus a credit or two. You should definitely take advantage of that.

You can leverage your SCMP designation for advanced standing in other programs (MBA program at Athabasca University) if you're so inclined.

Supply chain is a growth industry, and the employment market for supply chain, purchasing, materials, logistics and contracts type people is hot right now. Having the SCMP designation will put your resume to the front of the line, get you more interviews, and net you a higher salary when you're hired.

When I'm interviewing folks for roles - I'm looking for the SCMP for sure, or at the very least, the Certificate in Purchasing. Folks who don't have it go to the bottom of the pile. Yes, you might have real world experience, but if you can't explain the profit leverage effect, or tell me the elements that must exist for a legit contract to exist, you'll be at a disadvantage.

In practical sense, the SCMP designation is worth about $10K to $20K more per year in annual salary. (Depending on experience and industry).

The Toronto thing isn't that bad. In the "old" days the classes were optional and it was just a big networking event. The connections were valuable and the exposure to a bunch of professionals working in a bunch of different industries was eye-opening. I understand now that the classes are mandatory -- which may force you to curtail your late-night "networking" down at the pub. Having to go to Toronto is a bummer - but its not the worst thing that will happen to you, or the worst place you will ever travel in in your professional life.

The final exam IS tough. Start preparing 6 months in advance to do well.

As a student in the CPP program - there were days when I hated it. There were times when I got right grumpy about the expense. In the end though, it was worth it, and would absolutely recommend completing the program.

Supply chain really is a growth segment, professionals are in big demand, and the SCMP designation is gaining recognition. From my personal perspective, there are a lot more jobs for supply chain now then there were even 5 years ago. Rates of pay have risen as demand has.

When I got into this game a little over 8 years ago procurement was seen as something anyone could do (hey, we all know how to "buy", right?). These days, its seen as a strategic, profit-enhancing function, and the designation carries some weight.

Hope this helps.

- Mrs. Suave

dj_patm
11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you for the reply. I did read it before the edit :)

finboy
12-01-2012, 11:18 AM
also graduated MRu to get credit for 4 of the 8 modules. In reality, the program is built around the designation so technically you have learned 7 of the modules (public sector procurement is the only new one). I have friends who went into it, 10 months and they finished it, you get credit for the other American/uk equivalents. Most companies will cover the cost after you have worked with them for a period of time, which basically means you just need to commit the time to pass.

I am still considering it but since I have gotten into consulting I don't really have the time to commit.

How is Brian Fleming doing btw?

dj_patm
12-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Brian is awesome.

Great prof. The best thing about it being a small program is how casual all the classes are. It's the same students and teachers in every class so it's really chill.

JDMMAN
12-02-2012, 04:02 AM
The SCMP designation will help you get your foot in the door for many different interviews. When it comes down to job advancement, it'll all be down to your personal performance. The designation however will help you get promoted faster compared to someone without the designation and the same amount of experience.

craigcd
12-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I completed the first segement or module over the summer with the online or at home study. I essentially did this to compliment my degree and try to get into oil in gas. My past 7 years of experience usually fell under "Supply Chain" in larger organizations, it worked well and essentially got me 2 very good offers in a 60 day period after trying for 24 months. It could have been timing, but I do think it helped.

That being said, I wasn't very impressed with the online delivery. It seemed disorganized and sloppy. The material was pretty easy so I wasnt to concerned but even the assignments seemed poorly written. I started out spending alot of time on the assignments and essentially getting 85 - 95% every time. As the summer wore on my assignments went down hill and many were complete BS in my eyes and I still pulled off the exact same mark. I often question if they were even read.

I likely wont continue as I got the job I wanted and it would not benefit me career wise for the time being. I may take it up again when my family life slows down. I would definatley look into taking the class room work over the online and see how that goes. Plus if you arent super motivated and determined you likely wont succeed as there was an assignment due weekly for 12 weeks. This was really challenging in the summer!

Also they spam the shit out of my email daily with random shit. I have tried un-subscribing several times haha.

hampstor
12-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I recently had a conversation with the Manager of our supply chain group about doing my SCMP as some people in my team are doing their SCMP right now. While the company will fund it, the suggestion for me was it would add little value for me to move to the next level and suggested instead an education path more outside of supply chain.

My suggestion: Assuming you're currently in an SCM role, talk your leader about your career options and what his/her thoughts are on the value of SCMP towards the roles you want (ie: you might have enough exp to move up to his role, or you might need to do a few lateral moves first before you can do that) .

On a side note, this talk about designations reminded me of an experience. I shared a cubicle pod with a girl who had her SCMP, CITT, CILTNA, and 1 year of exp in SCM. She talked down on me, and IIRC told my Director she was more qualified than me and deserved a promotion. In her mind, those were greater than 10+ years of exp. I was the same level as her leader (we were in different teams), and she also talked down to him as well (similar exp to me, except he had an MBA). Despite the education, she couldn't even handle her job (she was a buyer/analyst) and with her attitude, didn't end up lasting very long.

ducaudi
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
On a side note, this talk about designations reminded me of an experience. I shared a cubicle pod with a girl who had her SCMP, CITT, CILTNA, and 1 year of exp in SCM. She talked down on me, and IIRC told my Director she was more qualified than me and deserved a promotion. In her mind, those were greater than 10+ years of exp. I was the same level as her leader (we were in different teams), and she also talked down to him as well (similar exp to me, except he had an MBA). Despite the education, she couldn't even handle her job (she was a buyer/analyst) and with her attitude, didn't end up lasting very long.

Wow, that's quite the story. I'm surprised by how some people that are so school/education driven with lack of experience have the audacity to act the way they do. Demading promotions and being condescending? To me, that's just disrespectful and for sure it wouldn't get you very far in any career.

403ep3
03-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Anyone else have any experience with the SCMP?

I'm thinking about doing it after I get my CMA. Worth adding it onto the CMA?

StickyRice
03-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Any suggestions on how someone breaks into this field without experience? Im currently taking some courses for SCM at MRU but my background is in accounting and looking to make the switch.

Thanks!

403ep3
03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by StickyRice
Any suggestions on how someone breaks into this field without experience? Im currently taking some courses for SCM at MRU but my background is in accounting and looking to make the switch.

Thanks!

Networking and friends already working.. Same goes with any profession when you have minimum or zero experience.

I got lucky and was hired for a more simple project controls data entry type position. Within a year I kept applying for internal positions and landed an SCM position that skyrocketed my salary. Luck plays into it too.

finboy
03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by StickyRice

Thanks!

Look into buyer/purchasing or contracts admin/analyst roles, they usually don't require that much experience. I am back on the hunt for another job in the scm field, so if you want any info shoot me some questions.

viff3r
04-17-2014, 12:57 PM
3 year SCMP here.

My advice on obtaining the designation hinges upon who pays for it - you or your company. If your company pays for it while you continue to work & gain practical, real-world experience, then it is certainly a good idea. Especially if you've already earned credit through the MRU program. If you're looking to do it on your own time straight out of school, or even in your spare time or whatever, then I'd say your money is better spent elsewhere. Letters after your name are always great to have but from my experience you don't need an SCMP/CPP designation to further your SCM career - you need to be smart, motivated, and know some people. Like most other jobs in Calgary.

If you're looking to break into the SCM world, networking is your best bet. I met my current boss through the SCMP program. The Alberta chapter of SCMA (Supply Chain Mgmt Associaton, formerly PMAC) holds dinner events one a month, they're not expensive so get out & meet people. Sign up to some groups on LinkedIn. Or, as finboy suggested look for an entry-level position with little to no experience required. You may be surprised how quickly you progress if you show that you are competent & understand basic business skills.