PDA

View Full Version : Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy - Scam

Modelexis
11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
This is just a sort of 'heads up' for anyone that comes across this bogus quackery.

I've just been having terrible luck with massage therapists lately and this was just the icing on the cake.

Words cannot describe how blatantly ridiculous this notion is, most religions cannot compete with this level of scam.

This service makes a tranny flush at quicklube seem like the deal of the century.

My massage therapist suggested this 'treatment' for a few minutes at the end of the session, since she wasn't doing anything effective anyway I accepted and was curious to see what this big scientific term meant.

Here is the therapy:
You're laying on your back and she puts her hand palm up under your tailbone and you lay on her hand for about 5 minutes, then she puts her hands on either side of your head for another 5 minutes. Then at the end she suggests you use your health coverage to schedule more 'treatments'

LMFAO, this is basically a fancy term for a paid break where the therapist doesn't even have to move a finger.

A scam of the highest order.

I'll leave you with a wiki excerpt:

Evidence base

A systematic review conducted in 1999 found "insufficient scientific evidence to recommend craniosacral therapy to patients, practitioners or third party payers for any clinical condition."[16] The authors of this review noted: "in accord with a basic tenet of craniosacral therapy, there is evidence for a craniosacral rhythm, impulse or 'primary respiration' independent of other measurable body rhythms (heart rate, or respiration)... However, these and other studies do not provide any valid evidence that such a craniosacral 'rhythm' or 'pulse' can be reliably perceived by an examiner".[16] The reason for this finding, according to these reviewers, was a lack of suitable evidence—such as random controlled trials of its effects on health outcomes—in the literature on craniosacral therapy. The reviewers found available evidence to be weak methodologically, highly variable, lacking consistency and unable to support "logical 'positive' conclusions regarding craniosacral therapy."[16] The reviewers concluded: "The issue is not that craniosacral therapy is a 'non mainstream' entity. Rigorous and scientifically defensible studies are clearly possible on all its aspects. If undertaken, such research would be of great value in providing the necessary direction for administrators, practitioners and patients alike".[16]

However, further preliminary research has been conducted since the 1999 review to investigate hypothesized biological mechanisms (such as possible impact on tone of the autonomic nervous system), assess the impact of craniosacral therapy, and measure interrater reliability.[22][28][29][30] A 2011 systematic review concluded that the evidence base surrounding craniosacral therapy and its efficacy is sparse and composed of studies with heterogeneous design. The authors of this review stated that current evidence is insufficient to use to draw conclusions and further study is needed to better evaluate if craniosacral therapy has therapeutic benefit.[31]