PDA

View Full Version : is backyard exposure crucial in a home buying decision?

asp integra
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
hey guys, looking at purchasing my first home, it has great southern exposure in the front yard but north exposure in the backyard. would this be a make or break thing for you? i have heard rules of thumb in calgary that you never buy a home that doesnt have south/swwest exposure. also do you think it would impact resale value? this would be a first home so maybe 5-10 years living in at most. also the house is in west springs if that make a difference

rage2
11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
My backyard faces the opposite way, NE. Never had a problem for 10 years, but my gf is not a fan as it limits her gardening options. I've spent time in the backyard and its nice in the summer because you have a mix of shade and lot areas to enjoy.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Not a huge impact to resale, its more about preference. I have a south facing backyard and I get crazy plants that I had no idea existed during my first summer.

My front is more simple but I still have more weird flowers that the person before me figured out made the best of its environment.

We dont have any freaking sunshine for 6 months anyway, who cares which way it faces haha.

rookie101
11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
As a guy with a triple car attached garage that I have to shovel all winter, you have no idea how much I wished my backyard faced north instead of my driveway..........

My back yard is hot as hell all summer with no shade, and the dam snow never melts off the driveway or sidewalk in the winter. I think the best of both worlds would be the front facing east. Just my opinion though.

rage2
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
haha good point on the driveway in the winters. Our side of the road has a lot more melt than across the street.

So looks like there's advantages both ways, and probably won't impact resale value.

The only thing I cared about was clear view to the south skyline for satellite dish placement, but that's just me, doubt anyone else cares.

lint
11-25-2012, 11:12 PM
depends on where you like to spend your time. we have a SW facing backyard and spend all summer out there with the kids and love it. great for grilling, eating outdoors, wife's garden. our neighbors across the cul de sac end up spending their time on their driveway because their backyard is never warm.

my driveway NEVER melts though, but I wouldn't trade it

JordanLotoski
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
South or west(back yard) if and when possible. Most of my clients don't care providing its the right home.

Xtrema
11-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Doesn't really matter. You just get more sun facing south.

That's why Enmax solar panel lease program recommend installation on the south facing side of the roof to maximize output.

guessboi
11-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Front faces south, Yard faces North FTW for me.

I get to shovel way less! :D

G
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by guessboi
Front faces south, Yard faces North FTW for me.

I get to shovel way less! :D

Asians love this since we don't like the sun anyways. Plusn unless you have AC you will be sweating balls at the dinner table in the summer months.

http://www.sungrubbies.com/Web%20images/SolarHat-UV-Protection-Visor-Detail4.jpg

Tomaz
11-26-2012, 11:57 AM
I would love the rear of my house to be a SW exposure, with my bedroom being SE exposure.

But I am a hopeless romantic that loves sunsets... and long walks on the beach... :nut:

Mibz
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
We bought specifically with south-facing front for the aforementioned snow reasons. We don't spend a whole lot of time in the back yard. Having a nice lawn while the other side of the street has 3 feet of snow puts a smile on my face every time I come home.

a social dsease
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
When i bought my home a south facing backyard was something I was looking for. Not a deal breaker, but definitely a consideration. Ended up getting it and its great, I have a nice patio and it makes for an awesome place to hang out on summer evening.

oz388
10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Just FYI, South Front & North Backyard house has the best FengShui compare to other oriented houses.

CapnCrunch
10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by rookie101
As a guy with a triple car attached garage that I have to shovel all winter, you have no idea how much I wished my backyard faced north instead of my driveway..........

My back yard is hot as hell all summer with no shade, and the dam snow never melts off the driveway or sidewalk in the winter. I think the best of both worlds would be the front facing east. Just my opinion though.

+1. I get ice that doesn't ever melt on my driveway and my backyard is scorching in the summer. I'd rather have it the opposite.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Not a prime concern for me. If I ever buy a hosue with a front driveway, I'll definetly want that on a south exposure to help with the melt.

roll_over
10-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Its nice when you don't even need to shovel because it all melts away by noon.

bignerd
10-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
We bought specifically with south-facing front for the aforementioned snow reasons. We don't spend a whole lot of time in the back yard. Having a nice lawn while the other side of the street has 3 feet of snow puts a smile on my face every time I come home.

Also puts a smile on my face when my deck is nice and dry and full of sun and warm in the winter, same with my backyard, not a lot of snow. Lots of sunshine streaming in our patio doors and back windows which we can leave open since they don't face the front street.

We don't spend a lot of time in the front yard so don't really care how much snow there is out front, plus they are so small these days anyhow.

My husband absolutely would not buy a home with a North facing backyard. I agree the driveway thing would be nice, next time we will just get a heated driveway and won't have to worry about it. Even with the front of our house facing North, the driveway is still 2/3 covered in sun so still melts halfway anyhow.

Cos
10-22-2013, 09:11 PM

89coupe
10-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I prefer south.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by oz388
Just FYI, South Front & North Backyard house has the best FengShui compare to other oriented houses.

Just FYI, you bumped a year old thread with useless information.