PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch or Samsung Galaxy Player

Mitsu3000gt
11-26-2012, 11:47 AM
I have recently learned my Dad wants a large-screen MP3 player for Christmas. I much prefer Android over Apple, however preliminary research suggests the iPod may be the more polished of the two in this case.

Does anyone have experience with both? I am also having a hell of a time finding out what the current Galaxy Players are called, there seems to be a million different versions, some running Android 2.X still.

Any thoughts? Is Apple the hands-down winner here or are the Galaxy Players worth a look?

He wants something he can use on the train for music/TV as well as apps/games.

Thanks!

300zxfairlday
11-26-2012, 11:51 AM
im not an apple fan at all but for an mp3 an ipod can not be beat

spike98
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Id buy this

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/26/cyber-monday-deal-koodo-htc-one-v-for-125-outright-plus-100-gift-card/

It is a full blown smart phone but at the price it cannot be beat. Any reason he doesn't just upgrade his cell phone to something with music/tv capability?

Mitsu3000gt
11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Id buy this

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/26/cyber-monday-deal-koodo-htc-one-v-for-125-outright-plus-100-gift-card/

It is a full blown smart phone but at the price it cannot be beat. Any reason he doesn't just upgrade his cell phone to something with music/tv capability?

He has a work phone paid for providing he uses their shitty BlackBerries so he won't buy a phone (that was the first thing I suggested to him). Otherwise he would be getting a Nexus 4, no question about it.

He wants something primarily for music while riding the bus/train, with the option of watching TV, playing games, and using apps. It won't be going to the gym with him so size isn't really a concern.

The latest iPod touch looks pretty nice, minus the fact that it's Apple, has no expandable storage, and minus everything about iTunes. It's extremely thin, built well, has a retina display, and all the usual features.

I was thinking just the latest 32GB iPod touch for $299 unless there is some compelling reason to get a different type of player.

That phone is cheap indeed, but I think a dedicated media player would be a bit better for his use. He also has an iPad2 however he is in no way attached to the Apple culture.

duaner
11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have recently learned my Dad wants a large-screen MP3 player for Christmas. I much prefer Android over Apple, however preliminary research suggests the iPod may be the more polished of the two in this case.

Does anyone have experience with both? I am also having a hell of a time finding out what the current Galaxy Players are called, there seems to be a million different versions, some running Android 2.X still.

Any thoughts? Is Apple the hands-down winner here or are the Galaxy Players worth a look?

He wants something he can use on the train for music/TV as well as apps/games.

Thanks!
I have no experience with Android but I do have an iPod Touch. If he won't care about sound quality, then an iPod will do.

If sound quality is important, then something from Samsung, Cowon, or a number of other players would probably be better.

spike98
11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

He has a work phone paid for providing he uses their shitty BlackBerries so he won't buy a phone (that was the first thing I suggested to him). Otherwise he would be getting a Nexus 4, no question about it.

He wants something primarily for music while riding the bus/train, with the option of watching TV, playing games, and using apps. It won't be going to the gym with him so size isn't really a concern.

The latest iPod touch looks pretty nice, minus the fact that it's Apple, has no expandable storage, and minus everything about iTunes. It's extremely thin, built well, has a retina display, and all the usual features.

I was thinking just the latest 32GB iPod touch for $299 unless there is some compelling reason to get a different type of player.

That phone is cheap indeed, but I think a dedicated media player would be a bit better for his use. He also has an iPad2 however he is in no way attached to the Apple culture.

Ahh he has an ipad 2. Then the ipod is most likely his best bet....and i say that while gritting my teeth.

He should already be familiar with the iOS ecosystem so the learning curve will be zero. There was a sale on the touch 4 at futureshop last week.

msommers
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Man for 32GB and in that price range, just get a Nexus 7 haha. So much better for watching anything than an iTouch/iPod/mp3 player.

Mitsu3000gt
11-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Ahh he has an ipad 2. Then the ipod is most likely his best bet....and i say that while gritting my teeth.

He should already be familiar with the iOS ecosystem so the learning curve will be zero. There was a sale on the touch 4 at futureshop last week.

I'll have a look at the 4's - thanks. Pretty sure this will be a gift from my brother and I though so cost really isn't an issue.

EDIT: Looks like they're only $40 cheaper for the 32GB so I'd probably stick with the latest & greatest.

Originally posted by msommers
Man for 32GB and in that price range, just get a Nexus 7 haha. So much better for watching anything than an iTouch/iPod/mp3 player.

I was thinking that as well, but he doesn't want a second tablet, even though it is noticeably smaller than an iPad haha. He seems to specifically want something in the phone-size category.

Mitsu3000gt
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know what the best way to get FM radio on the iPod touch is? I just noticed it doesn't have it and that is a deal-breaker. I see they make some devices that plug into the iPod and add FM capability but I'm not sure if there are any good ones.

This would not be for in-car use, but rather to listen to FM radio while on transit because the iPod for some reason I will never understand does not have FM radio (the nano does though).

I found this one that looks pretty good but doesn't support the 5th gen:

http://www.amazon.ca/Griffin-Radio-Apple-iPhone-Touch/dp/B0046QU81U