PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Looking to purchase a new (USED) RV or trailer.

spikerS
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Alright. Figure now is probably a great time to be shopping for a new travel / holiday / camping trailer. They gotta be dead as fuck, and offering some bitching deals, right?

Any ways, any places out there to avoid, places to definitely check out? What to watch out for in purchasing? and brands to steer clear of, or drive right into?

Any information you all can bestow upon us would be fantastic!

ExtraSlow
11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
From what I hear, don't count on any of the dealerships:
- Knowing anything about tow vehciles.
- getting anything fixed/added/modified before the sale.
- honouring any warranty

I haven't bought a new RV in Calgary, but based on discussions with those who have, I'd rate RV dealerships about three notches below used car dealerships like Automaxx.

Also, on a related note, depreciation on RV's is huge, have you considered a used one from a private sale?

Also, slides are always a point of concern, common places for water leaks, and mechanical wear and damage. Inspect it.

Cos
11-27-2012, 08:34 AM

corsvette
11-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I'd steer clear of the Crossroads brand. They have a few name divisons such as Zinger, Slingshot, and Sunset Trail. From my experence they are rather poorly built (we have a Zinger model) and I see lots of complaints also on the Crossroads forums.

cycosis
11-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Inspect the roof with a magnifying glass! You dont want leaks!!

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2012, 10:10 AM
My parents have a nice 5th wheel, maybe 6 years old, used 4 times that they may sell if you're interested.

spikerS
11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
we are kinda steering away from a 5th wheel, we would like to keep the box of the truck open.

We also need bunks for the girls. However, if the price is right...

SR54RNR
11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
If you are interested in a fixer upper, go to a few of the storage auctions. I watched a motorhome sell for $100 last year. It was parked for 10 years and needed an OOP, but it would be worth it to someone with a place to park it and work on it.

This season I'm hoping to find a small trailer at auction

4WARNED
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by SR54RNR
If you are interested in a fixer upper, go to a few of the storage auctions. I watched a motorhome sell for $100 last year. It was parked for 10 years and needed an OOP, but it would be worth it to someone with a place to park it and work on it.

This season I'm hoping to find a small trailer at auction

Speaks the truth...hell, even some of the local repo places and even the salvage auctions have decent stuff.....

spikerS
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
^^ well let me know where these places are, and I will happily check them out

DEATH2000
11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Regal has occasionaly had em. The one up by CrossIron Mills has RVs as well. A friend of mine in edmonton saw a 2011 28' trailer sell at auction for $1,800 because of hail damage. The their was nothing wrong with the trailer exexpt the golf ball effect to the outside.

Masked Bandit
11-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I just went through this process in the past year. The biggest advice I can give you is keep the weight of your trailer at no more than 75% of your vehicle's rated tow capacity.

You got that new EcoBoost so I think you're supposed to be good for up to 11,000 lbs or something like that if you have the right tow package? Don't even consider anything with a loaded weight of greater than about 7500 lbs. Those "max tow" ratings must be for perfectly flat ground, no wind, no faster than 45 MPH.

As for the trailer itself, private sale is the way to go. Anything "used" at a dealer is WAYYYYYY overpriced compared to the what you can find on Kijiji. I would do your research as to what you want for features and then just keep an eye on Kijiji and be patient. The deals that can come up from time to time can be crazy. You have to wait for the guy that is just sick of looking at the trailer in his back yard or paying for monthly storage somewhere and just wants the damn thing gone.

Also look to buy from someone who does all of their own repairs if possible. The guy we bought our rig from showed me all kinds of things he had done to it over the years with respect to maintenance & upgrades.

After the first season under out belt and figuring a few things out, I can see us upgrading to a newer / bigger rig in a few years. The kids had a blast and I don't regret spending the money for a second.

spikerS
11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
well, we are looking at financing it, so a dealer is probably the way we will go, unless someone wants to give us a kijiji loan. Would be nice to have a bit of warranty as well.

Masked Bandit
11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by spikers
well, we are looking at financing it, so a dealer is probably the way we will go, unless someone wants to give us a kijiji loan. Would be nice to have a bit of warranty as well.

Have you talked to your bank? Where do you think the dealers get the loans from? They're just brokers for the banks.

ExtraSlow
11-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I just went through this process in the past year. The biggest advice I can give you is keep the weight of your trailer at no more than 75% of your vehicle's rated tow capacity.

You got that new EcoBoost so I think you're supposed to be good for up to 11,000 lbs or something like that if you have the right tow package? Don't even consider anything with a loaded weight of greater than about 7500 lbs. Those "max tow" ratings must be for perfectly flat ground, no wind, no faster than 45 MPH.
Also keep in mind the tow ratings in the advertisements are for a base 2wd truck. When the truck gets heavier, the trailer needs to get lighter. Actual amount you can tow even within the rating, is lower than many people assume.

For instance, max tow with the ecoboost is 11,300 lbs, but with a 4x4 supercrew and 6.5' box, it can be as low as 9500 lbs.

The Ford Fleet website has lots of good info on actual tow ratings.
Ford Fleet Towing Guide (https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2012/12FLRVTTgdeMar1.pdf)

spikerS
11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Also keep in mind the tow ratings in the advertisements are for a base 2wd truck. When the truck gets heavier, the trailer needs to get lighter. Actual amount you can tow even within the rating, is lower than many people assume.

For instance, max tow with the ecoboost is 11,300 lbs, but with a 4x4 supercrew and 6.5' box, it can be as low as 9500 lbs.

The Ford Fleet website has lots of good info on actual tow ratings.
Ford Fleet Towing Guide (https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2012/12FLRVTTgdeMar1.pdf)

Yeah, I am pretty sure with mine according to my manual, I can tow 8200lbs

ExtraSlow
11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Also need to look at payload capacity of the truck and tounge weight. Very easy to go over that as well.

aaaand, make sure you get a decent trailer brake controller if your truck isn't equipped with one from the factory. Spend the money on a prodigy P2 or better.

4WARNED
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.repocenter.com/

https://www.repodepo.ca/

http://www.impactauto.ca/ ( need a dealer license to bid on these ones)..

charlie2
11-27-2012, 05:34 PM
My first RV was a bumper pull travel trailer 29' long weighing in around 6500 lbs that I bought in the States (saved $12K). I pulled it with my 2004 F150 5.4L. I hated the set up. Had to use the weight distribution/anti sway bars...what a P.I.T.A. Couldn't go over 115 without the trailer swaying and feeling unstable...bought a F350 diesel and it towed better but still alot of swaying when trucks passed or high winds or grooved highways.

Sold it on Kijiji after a year and bought a used 5th wheel....what a difference, tows like a dream, even at 140km/hr. Easier to get around with and way more storage. Also easier to hook up and unhook.

I would look to 5th wheel, you will never regret it, much nicer to travel with. Put a bike rack on the back bumper of the trailer and you can still fill the box with firewood and junk. The hitches all slide out when your not using them anyways.

AND...look to the USA to buy with a bank loan or LOC from your bank. Savings are huge south of the border on New RV's, its crazy on some models $10K + difference

my $0.02

Supa Dexta
11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Yeah once you go 5th wheel, I don't know anyone who would go back to bumper pull. Theres tons of storage in most trailers anyways, plus you can still put stuff in the box around the hitch.

I leave my hitch hanging from the pin anyways, never any issue with that.

Masked Bandit
11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't want to speak too much on OP's behalf but I don't think it's a secret on the board that he just bought a new truck so I don't think changing vehicles to better handle a fifth wheel is possible.

I know I would much rather go with a fifth wheel but you should at least have a 3/4 ton (diesel preferred) for that and I just can't justify that for daily driving.

craigcd
11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Like everyone else has said- buy used, and dont finance with a dealer. Many of my friends have done this for the low payment and extended finance terms. If you cant afford to pay for it cash, or at worst pay it off over 4 or 5 years its a bad idea. Trailer residual values drop huge in the first 2 years, buying new is like tossing away 50% of the value. So take advantage of that and find some desperate person on Kijiji who has taken the massive loss..... and no GST. Plus with the low payment if you ever wanted or had to sell it you would be upside down for sure.

If you do want to buy new go the US and pull it across, trailers are super easy to clear customs. Take the money you saved and put it aside for any repairs needed down the road as you will likely void your warranty by importing.

spikerS
11-27-2012, 10:25 PM
we considered a new trailer, but unless there was a real good incentive, we just won't be doing it.

The plan is we are looking for something around the 10-15k range used, throw around 5k on it, and finance the rest over a couple years.

TomcoPDR
11-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by spikers
we considered a new trailer, but unless there was a real good incentive, we just won't be doing it.

The plan is we are looking for something around the 10-15k range used, throw around 5k on it, and finance the rest over a couple years.

Go for a hail damaged new unit.

Masked Bandit
11-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Go for a hail damaged new unit.

Are there really that good of deals to be had on hail units?

TomcoPDR
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Are there really that good of deals to be had on hail units?

Yup. I know another contractor (wasn't looking for it) was in a city that he was working in. Then it was both hail damage and year end clear out

A 30' footer. List like $45, he got for $32. So he claims he could refuse a deal like that

legendboy
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
We are on our third travel trailer. First was private, second from western rv in airdrie and last was private.

I would steer clear of dealerships myself, better deals to be had on kijiji. Good for going to look at what you want tho

I take trailers to hobo camper country on edmonton trail for service and pre purchase inspections

sxtasy
11-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I've done quite a bit of trailer camping and towing. Imo, I would opt for a smaller trailer myself. Much easier to get into many more campsites and you probably won't enjoy towing a heavy load through the mountains with a gasser. I haven't towed with the new f-150, but I would imagine a 7000lbs load through the mountains would be working your truck pretty hard.

As mentioned, fifth wheel provides much better handling, smaller fifth wheels can be found every once in a while, but the hitch setups can be expensive. Quality brake controllers make a HUGE difference. Bumper pulls benefit greatly with weight distribution and anti-sway hitch for a half ton.

In my experience, the most problematic areas on a trailer can be the plumbing (cheap plastic fittings break easily in our weather if not well maintained) and batteries, charging systems. There should be a lot of great deals right now on used trailers, perhaps check BC for deals as well.

ExtraSlow
11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I take trailers to hobo camper country on edmonton trail for service and pre purchase inspections
These guys are solid. I'm in there whenever I need something, and they have always been very helpful, and quite reasonable cost.

Supa Dexta
11-28-2012, 07:59 PM
I like reese 5th wheel hitches, a 16k slider can be found on kijiji for like ~350 if you watch for them. The only thing I'd change for is a b&w companion, but I havent landed a deal on one yet.

Look at a few campers and find what you like and hate in them. I have no kids, so I didnt want bunks, I wanted a large slide out kitchen/living room, and hardwood floors were a bonus. I have a great sized bathroom, thats separate from my bedroom, my only complaint would be the bedroom is a bit tight for any 'extra manoeuvring' around the bed - Its a 29 foot trailer, and if it had +2 more feet in the bedroom it would be perfect for me. It stays parked in one spot most of the summer, staring out at this.

http://s8.postimage.org/yfenqufyr/jjj.jpg

If you do go bumper pull, get a weights dist. hitch.. Makes a world of difference for sure.