PDA

View Full Version : How to get my fat friend to workout?

The BMW Guy
11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
My buddies and I have been trying to get our big friend to start losing some weight and living a healthier lifestyle altogether. One of his closest friends, who is equally as big as him, just started working out and is loving it.

However, even with one of his closest friends getting healthier he refuses to go to the gym/be more active or eat healthier in general.

Here is his current situation:
-About 5'6 at about 210-220lbs.
-eats out EVERY DAY at mac hall. Greasy chinese food, bubble tea, bottles of pepsi and energy drinks are like his water
-No physical activity at all, hell he is too lazy to even walk up two flights of stairs to hand in an assignment.

We are pretty concerned for his health. He has NO energy during the day. Sleeps during class, sleeps when doing homework (currently failing a lot of courses) and stays up late playing video games.
Hell, his mom even offered him $1000 to lose 10 lbs. He didn't even give it a shot.

Any ideas on how to get him motivated?
After several months of trying, I'm about ready to give up.

A790
11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately there probably isn't much you can do to make him want to lose weight. He has to decide on his own that he wants to do it.

Have you asked him why he chooses to live that way? What is it about that lifestyle that he enjoys? Etc. etc.

Marsh
11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Tough situation. Some people just need to realize they need change on their own, no matter how much people around them try to convince them that they have to change.

On the other hand though, I know people who just simply enjoy being fat. Not obese, but they couldnt give less of a shit about exercising and eating healthy, and just enjoy eating whatever they want. Maybe your buddy is one of these people?

flipstah
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Damn. I wish my mom offered me $1000 to lose 10 lbs.

But when that happens, that's bad.

JfuckinC
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Damn. I wish my mom offered me $1000 to lose 10 lbs.

But when that happens, that's bad.

lol me too, i can do that in a week :barf:

Disoblige
11-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Does he have any other interests other than video games? Maybe get him to play some sports with you. If he enjoys it, then he will be being more active and having fun at the same time.

Other than that, seriously, sit down with him and ask him what he wants out of life. Surely, not to live alone, die early, and just play video games?

As mentioned, old habits die hard. The only person who can help is himself. You guys can only guide him in the right direction.

If it's getting so bad that his health is at risk, then I'd personally threaten to not be his friend until he tries to live healthier. This may or may not work, so you would have to know what kind of person he is. If doing this is going to make it worse, then this might not be the best idea.

I hate people who are addicted to video games. I have certain friends who are, and I don't hang out with them at all because they're poison to me. In my eyes, they're lazy slackers and I can't stand it. There is a difference between people who play video games and those who are addicted.

Mitsu3000gt
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
If he's as stubborn as you describe, my guess is it will take a health problem of some kind to open his eyes. It's sad but I think that's true for a lot of big people. Until they hear a doctor tell them "lose weight or else...." there may not be a lot you can do if friends and large quantities of money don't even motivate him.

If his doctor is telling him he needs to lose weight or else something terrible will happen (which should be obvious, but anyways...), then perhaps something more drastic would be necessary. Not sure what you could do though other than call "friends off" or something haha.

msommers
11-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Tough situation. Some people just need to realize they need change on their own, no matter how much people around them try to convince them that they have to change.

On the other hand though, I know people who just simply enjoy being fat. Not obese, but they couldnt give less of a shit about exercising and eating healthy, and just enjoy eating whatever they want. Maybe your buddy is one of these people?

Yeah I'll agree with some of this.

The unfortunate wake-up call is going to be from a doctor (if he even goes) or he ends up in the hospital from a heart attack.

The problem with helping someone with any sort of self improvement is that you can't force them into doing the better option. You honestly need to educate the individual enough to make them self aware of what they're doing or not doing, and also how it affects people around them.

If they want to be a fat fucking piece of shit and they're happy, well, so be it. But one excuse comes out of their mouth about their state of health and you call them out in the worst way possible.

EK69
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Does he have a gf?

Instead of his parents throwing more money at him (which seems to be the case right now..) maybe they should cut him off ?:dunno:

[Yu]
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I mean this in the most sincere way.

Tell him to man the fuck up. He's so damn young, but doesn't mean one day some illness will creep up and shit on his world.

You mention Mac Hall so hes not that old, I'm only 24 and been through a fuck and a half, and everyday I go to the gym. I look at my scar everyday and it reminds me that one day cancer may come back and wreck my world all over again. And if it does, I'm going to be hell as sure I am at my fittest ever because nothing will break me down but death itself.

I just came back from the hospital again because over the weekend they thought my body was rejecting my liver. All I did in the hospital was lunges down the hall ways, did flights of stairs, and squats all day.

The way you mention him, I'm assuming he doesn't work? Yet he has money being supplied to him?

I can't imagine a man that is sleeping in class, failing many classes, and too lazy to exercise to have a job that can supply all his food. Is his parents supplying him money to do all this, because $1000 for 10 lbs is no joke of an incentive.

Is it possible his parents might be the one fueling his life style?

max_boost
11-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Hot chicks don't like fat guys (Unless they are super rich).

If slamming hot girls isn't enough motivation, I don't know what is! haha

The BMW Guy
11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
He has no girlfriend, never has unfortunately. I think a girl could be a huge motivation factor for him though.

He doesn't have much interest other than video games and trading card games (I think its called Magic the Gathering?).
Tried to get him to do sports. Only thing he has taken to is paintballing but we don't go often enough (expensive) so he doesn't get much exercise throughout the year from it.

He's a nice guy, just stubborn with his health. I asked him why he refuses to do anything and his answer was "Because I'm lazy". Which kind of enraged me inside because that's not good enough of an answer for me.
We would rather he not get to the point where a doctor has to tell him to change his life, but I think that might be the case at this point in time.

And no, his parents don't give him any money (from what his close friend has told me). He works at a grocery store so he has his own income. They were just hoping it would motivate him.

GS430
11-27-2012, 05:08 PM
The easiest and most effective thing to do is make a poster, sometimes you have to show the facts as obvious as they are..

One side showing pictures of death, being a virgin, health risks, ugly chicks..

The other side showing a healthy guy, hot girls, etc etc.

Tweak the idea obviously, but it might work.

Good luck to you and your friend, that's very thoughtful of you guys looking out for him.

bourge73
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Get him to go for a full check up at the Dr's. Maybe the health results will scare him into doing something about it:dunno:

03ozwhip
11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
go to his house, hide his games and trading cards and replace them with water bottles and a membership to the gym. nothing like getting someone motivated that lost everything he holds dear that is completely useless in the real world.

Shlade
11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
You telling him to work out or trying to get him to go will push him away further.

Quit doing that entirely.

YOU cannot do anything. HE has to do it himself. Be a friend though.

Dont just leave his side, stick by him, continue doing the things you guys are doing. Hell, try and get him to go out to a club or something open his eyes up a little bit that there are some goooorgeous girls out there that he could be with if he lost some weight.

Getting healthy is a battle within ones self. You cant fight that battle for him, he has to do it himself. Give it time... He'll realise it soon enough

[Yu]
11-27-2012, 05:23 PM
03ozwhip's idea is pretty sweet.

To see your friends go through all that trouble to try to help you out, could be great motivation and it may show how serious you guys are at helping him out.

Whatever happens, I hope for the best for this guy.

Seth1968
11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
You've done what you can, and he obviously has no interest in getting healthy.

No offence, but maybe it's time you minded your own business.

bigbadboss101
11-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Do some group things with some women. May be he will get some motivation to get healthy in hope of meeting someone. I have a few friends like that. Not as overweight but still 4-6 months pregnant. You can lead by example, if he doesn't follow then it's his issue.

black13
11-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Your a good friend for caring. Most people don't even give a shit about their friends health status.

The best method while harsh, is to start making fun of him and criticising his lazy ass. Hell even humiliate him in front of others. Yes I know this is harsh but if all else fails, I'd say do this. You have to get him in the mind set of not becoming comfortable in his lifestyle. This is how people rack up so much weight, they become comfortable being fatass's and with today's society, you can't offend anyone that is fat unless your close to them.

This is basically what got me motivated to get fit. I'm still not fit as I want but I sure improved alot. You gotta get someone to feel unhappy for them to change their style. Things only get worse with weight really.

Sometimes you gotta be tough if you wanna make someone better.

ercchry
11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
depending how long he has been fat for. ridiculing him probably wont help. he has probably heard everything under the sun throughout grade school. if it didnt help then, it wont now.

i have come to the conclusion that some people are just fucking losers. but thats okay. we need them in society who else will serve us overpriced coffee?

i had a fat roommate once. he got a diet kit, one of those expensive full package deals... he ate the cookies, all of them. didnt touch the rest of the kit :rofl:

JordanEG6
11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. He has to be willing to lose weight on his own.

Like stated before, maybe it takes a serious health problem to get him to start moving. Has he ever seen a doctor or a health practitioner regarding his weight? Maybe exposing him to serious health risks will get him to start doing something about it.

I used to be about 210-215lbs and I'm 5'7". I wore a tux to a wedding once and looked at myself in the mirror and thought "This is as good as I'm going to look...ever". I also noticed I hated being in pictures, so that triggered it for me. He should start off small, like taking the stairs for going for hour long walks.

scboss
11-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
depending how long he has been fat for. ridiculing him probably wont help. he has probably heard everything under the sun throughout grade school. if it didnt help then, it wont now.

i have come to the conclusion that some people are just fucking losers. but thats okay. we need them in society who else will serve us overpriced coffee?

i had a fat roommate once. he got a diet kit, one of those expensive full package deals... he ate the cookies, all of them. didnt touch the rest of the kit :rofl:

I think calling someone a loser because of his weight or lifestyle (videogames) is ridiculous. To me a loser is someone that beats his wife, drug addict or a drunk. He still has good friends which means he is probably a good person.

Originally posted by JordanEG6
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. He has to be willing to lose weight on his own.

Like stated before, maybe it takes a serious health problem to get him to start moving. Has he ever seen a doctor or a health practitioner regarding his weight? Maybe exposing him to serious health risks will get him to start doing something about it.

I used to be about 210-215lbs and I'm 5'7". I wore a tux to a wedding once and looked at myself in the mirror and thought "This is as good as I'm going to look...ever". I also noticed I hated being in pictures, so that triggered it for me. He should start off small, like taking the stairs for going for hour long walks.

I deal with overweight people everyday and this is usually the case. I had a guy that came in and he was about 50 lbs overweight and I checked his blood pressure. Got a 145/97 and he was 29. That means his max hr is around 191. So without even moving he was less then 50 beats off.

Scared the shit out of him and has been working out ever since. The things that sucks the most about your friend is the longer he keeps it up the longer he will have to train to recover from his habits.

The biggest thing that should scare him is when he is 50 frail, weak as shit and obese. If that dosnt scare you then you got some serious issues

ercchry
11-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

I think calling someone a loser because of his weight or lifestyle (videogames) is ridiculous. To me a loser is someone that beats his wife, drug addict or a drunk. He still has good friends which means he is probably a good person.

some believe addiction is a mental disorder... actually i would say an addiction to food isnt much different than that to drugs (dunno why a drunk is separate here? alcohol is still a drug). they both are stimulating the brain in a similar fashion.

anyways, weight and hobbies aside. my definition of a loser is more so someone with no motivation to do anything constructive with their lives :dunno:

scboss
11-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

some believe addiction is a mental disorder... actually i would say an addiction to food isnt much different than that to drugs (dunno why a drunk is separate here? alcohol is still a drug). they both are stimulating the brain in a similar fashion.

anyways, weight and hobbies aside. my definition of a loser is more so someone with no motivation to do anything constructive with their lives :dunno:

I agree with some of your points but its apples and oranges.

Drugs - physical addiction (body can go into withdrawls)
Alchohol - Social addiction (obviously physical once severe)
Food - In most cases its a matter of getting addicted to the convenience of getting it. In my opinion it is pure mental and more of a habit then anything. Ive never heard of someone going into convulsions because he didnt get a cheeseburger hahahaha.

Plain and simple if he was active and ate like that he would never be in the state he is in. Best thing to do in this situation is keep inviting him to go with you. Insulting him and calling him out will do nothing but make him chill with others and continue his habits.

For all you know he might just be scared for others to see his fitness level.

"Obesity runs in my family" "Nobody runs in your family"

taemo
11-28-2012, 08:05 AM
yeah you can't really do your self as the health/weight battle is always against yourself.

as a friend, all you can really do is be there for him ready to assist him once he's ready to do it.

for some individuals, the more you push them on doing something, the less they will want to do it.
with you, friends and parents pushing him, I'm not surprised he doesn't want to do it yet, he has to want it himself.

me myself, I didn't decide to get healthy until I was near done graduating from school and saw some free time in between school and work, so that motivated me to go to the gym every day.

revelations
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
OP have your friend tested for depression, inactive thyroid etc.

It sounds more than just a simple case of being over weight, it sounds like a case of not being happy with life at all.

DeleriousZ
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
http://thespecblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Dangle-Carrot-on-a-Stick.png

only replace the carrot with a twinkie :)

But seriously, trying to motivate someone to exercise that's not into it at all is nearly goddamn impossible. In cases like this it usually takes a life changing event to spark the desire to change.

I don't think taking the 'man up' or ridiculing paths will work, it will probably just make him feel bad about himself and have even less desire to do anything about it.

I agree that you should try to get him tested for depression and related things, it's amazing what an affect something like that can have on someone's entire life, and lifestyle.

jaylo
11-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Best way to get a guy working out is to date a girl that is actively working out and is in shape.

2Legit2Quit
11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like he would have to change his entire lifestyle, he's fallen into the fat guy gamer life. He needs a wake up call or a strong reason to want to change, if he's not willing to try to have a better life both physically and socially, then that's his choice. Some times you just gotta step back and watch them crash and burn.

GS430
11-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
Best way to get a guy working out is to date a girl that is actively working out and is in shape.

..your logic is flawed.

revelations
11-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by jaylo

Not if you have emotional health issues (depression) or a chemical imbalance. :rolleyes:

Disoblige
11-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GS430

..your logic is flawed.
Very true. This doesn't work in any situation.
Fit girl who works out would not want to go out with someone unmotivated and doesn't seem to have a zest for life.

A fat girl who started working out would probably be pissed that his fat boyfriend isn't motivated to workout while she is motivated to lose weight to feel better about herself and for her boyfriend. Boyfriend constantly plays video games due to habit.

My question to OP is, how long has he been fat? Did he suddenly gain all this weight within a year or two, or was he always fat his entire life? Did no one care about this problem until recently? Makes me wonder if the parents are supporting his lifestyle up to a certain point.

bjstare
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM

..your logic is flawed.

:rofl: exactly my thoughts

littledan
11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
wow... first helicopter parents... now helicopter friends... for sure this guy is a CBC?

03ozwhip
11-28-2012, 12:05 PM
of course this guy is depressed, hes fat and has never had a girlfriend and is an addict, i would be too. the thing is, its so hard to get motivated when you are like this because you dont want to do anything.

he needs some professional help first of all, secondly what i said earlier is tough love. crack addicts need it and so do food addicts and its definitely something that i would do as a friend.

he might hate you for a while, but it needs to be done and he will thank you for it in the long run, just like any other addict.

Manhattan
11-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Just enjoy having a buddy to pig out with anytime of day and still feel great about yourself after. Plus you know he's down for playing video games at all hours of the night. Another bonus is you can take him on hikes and if a bear attacks you know he's gonna take one for the team. Sounds like the perfect buddy to me. Why mess with a good thing? :dunno:

dirtysamwich
11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Like what others have said, I would just call it like I see it.

I can be a real asshole sometimes though lol.

Maybe don't be so nice about it and just call him out. Tell him what he doesn't want to hear. May or may not work pending on the relationship you two have.

The_1
11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
would he be interested working out at home?
what i notice this that some people gets discourage going to an actual gym

Darkane
11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Seriously,

Get him out in public, preferably some beach type setting where he needs to take off his shirt.

With any luck he'll have some good looking women wince at him, there will be a couple ripped dudes walking around.

Finally try to get some pictures with him in a group setting shirtless.

The shock and embarrassment might give the spark.

No one can change him but himself, I'd know.

Talk about sex and all the shit you guys have done to chicks in an open setting so everyone has a story to tell except him. Embarrassment.

He'll snap one day and kill you, or kill his fat.

max_boost
11-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Are there any sports that he's interested in?

It's hard to just get out and run or even on a cardio machine.

But there are so many sports teams you can join. I know this because I started a badminton and hockey club. Picked up snowboarding, swimming and for awhile there, was doing Ashtanga yoga on a weekly basis. Just mixing shit up.

Yea it's all gonna cost some money and the fear of sucking is out there but if I can learn all this shit from scratch, so can your buddy. But it all starts with him. No pain no gain. Fear is just an illusion!

Toma
11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
It's like quitting smoking.

Impossible to do, unless you want to.

Effective weight loss is easy to do if you take the steps.

I could have him down 10 pounds in 10 days EASY. But he would have to eat what I say, and nothing else. After 2 weeks, he would feel better, and see a difference, maybe that would be enough to keep him going.....

I find when people are fat, they don;t want to hit the gym cause they are embarrassed.... so losing some weight maybe needed before he would go.

flipstah
11-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Same thing I got motivated to work out: Girlfriend.

Fuck you, friend zone. :guns:

If a woman doesn't motivate him, I don't know what will.

DeleriousZ
11-28-2012, 04:12 PM
When you're heavy it's very easy to lose a large amount of weight in a fairly quick way. Doing it the healthy way might be more difficult.

example: I did a 'cleanse' where all I ate was vegan, raw organic food for two weeks. Nothing heated above 45c, basically just veggies, fruits, nuts and other 'good for you' stuff. I lost 18lbs in 2 weeks, and aside from the extreme 'food addiction' depression, I felt amazing. At that time I was quite motivated to live a healthy lifestyle, however eating like that is extremely expensive and takes significantly longer to prepare all of the meals. Keep in mind this was with no change in exercise levels, not much exercise at all, and a starting weight around 200lbs (6ft tall).

Kloubek
11-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't also suffer from depression.

$1000 and not feeling like shit would be typically pretty good motivators for most people. My guess is that he just doesn't give a crap about himself, or even life in general.

Toma
11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
When you're heavy it's very easy to lose a large amount of weight in a fairly quick way. Doing it the healthy way might be more difficult.

example: I did a 'cleanse' where all I ate was vegan, raw organic food for two weeks. Nothing heated above 45c, basically just veggies, fruits, nuts and other 'good for you' stuff. I lost 18lbs in 2 weeks, and aside from the extreme 'food addiction' depression, I felt amazing. At that time I was quite motivated to live a healthy lifestyle, however eating like that is extremely expensive and takes significantly longer to prepare all of the meals. Keep in mind this was with no change in exercise levels, not much exercise at all, and a starting weight around 200lbs (6ft tall).
If you were a fatty, Atkins would have done the same, but real fat loss, and it's dirt cheap, and better for you, as you would have been getting the protein and animal fat you need so as to prevent muscle loss.

My buddy Derek just lost 60 pounds in 6 weeks. All measurable blood work improved. But that man was STRICT.

GS430
11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
There's always the rockstar method..

Cocaine, ciggarettes, and gin.

jaylo
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Very true. This doesn't work in any situation.
Fit girl who works out would not want to go out with someone unmotivated and doesn't seem to have a zest for life.

A fat girl who started working out would probably be pissed that his fat boyfriend isn't motivated to workout while she is motivated to lose weight to feel better about herself and for her boyfriend. Boyfriend constantly plays video games due to habit.

My question to OP is, how long has he been fat? Did he suddenly gain all this weight within a year or two, or was he always fat his entire life? Did no one care about this problem until recently? Makes me wonder if the parents are supporting his lifestyle up to a certain point.

I guess what I am trying to say that it IS possible that a person in your life can help you reach your goal - that is if you have a goal and motivation to do so whether if it is a girlfriend or a good friend.

Without motivation of life altering experience there is really nothing anyone can do for a person.

Toma
11-28-2012, 05:14 PM
There's always the rockstar method..

Cocaine, ciggarettes, and gin.
Or the crack whore method.

Crack.

Much cheaper..... but his grades may suffer

bigbadboss101
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Invite him out to hot yoga. Tell him you will all hang out to play games after. It's a good workout and sometimes the scenery is good too :poosie:

revelations
11-29-2012, 12:46 AM
^ I was too busy trying not to fall on my face (while in some wierd position) to notice the spandex bum in my face .... lol

DeleriousZ
11-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Toma

If you were a fatty, Atkins would have done the same, but real fat loss, and it's dirt cheap, and better for you, as you would have been getting the protein and animal fat you need so as to prevent muscle loss.

My buddy Derek just lost 60 pounds in 6 weeks. All measurable blood work improved. But that man was STRICT.

You get better, more useable, absorbable protein from eating the proper plant foods than you ever could eating red meat.

Cody D
11-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Send him a link to this thread.

Toma
11-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

You get better, more useable, absorbable protein from eating the proper plant foods than you ever could eating red meat.

Dreaming.

Human's are Omnivores by nature. To get the proper amounts and proportions of essential amino acids, and fatty acids is difficult for a Vegetarian, and requires much larger volumes of food, very careful meal planning and preparation.

Unless you supplement, or meal plan meticulously, you will be low on B12 and Sulfer based amino acids. Women on Vegetarian diets have suffered tremendous hormone imbalance, and both sexes are very prone to heart disease. It's becoming an epidemic among Vegetarians.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21872435

Then there is Doctor Stephanie Seneff, and her research that shows low dietary cholesterol is devastating in many ways, and contributes to neurological disease like Alzheimers.

The mere fact that protein is difficult to break down is one reason why the Atkins diet is so effective. That, and protein has proven appetite suppression qualities, while carbs make you hungry.

Not saying no to veggies, I'm a big fan of greens, and cruciferous Veg. But red meat, butter fat, eggs, Fish are essential for a healthy and strong body to reach it's full potential.

Don't fuck with mother nature has always been my theory, you can't outsmart her.

EK69
11-29-2012, 02:54 AM
I don't think making fun of him will work. Think abt it. Fat, never had a gf, and plays magic te gathering (grown up version of Pokemon?? Lol I had to google wtf it was...). He's probably in the "Its too late, so fuck it why bother" phase which probably means some sort of negative mood (I don't wanna say depression). And if that's the case, he obviously knows he's fat, so maybe he's too embarrassed to go to the gym?

Do u go to the gym ? Do ur friends? Any of them girls that may be interested in helping out by motivating him? I think girls will be the best motivation lol. If so:

Since he plays games... What about xbox360 kinect? Those just dance games are pretty good workouts lol. Set it up at someone's house get him over and bonus points for inviting girls (say they wanted to play and try it out). He will probably be outta breath quick and maybe that will trigger something? And if the girls wanna help too, get them to keep on asking him to play and shit. And maybe u guys can all set up a weekly thing or someshit? Then since I'm guessing going to the gym is an embarrassment issue, he can start working out at home. At least it'll be a start. Once he sees positive progress and starts thinking positively instead of the current negativity he will hopefully be more motivated.

The BMW Guy
12-02-2012, 01:02 AM
No I don't think making fun of him is working either.
I'm trying to encourage him using things he likes (games/playing cards)

At one point in time over the past months I convinced him of all the money he could save and spend on games if he made his own lunches. Worked for about a week, I helped him find some easy but healthy sandwich ingredients (whole wheat bread, veggies) but he soon fell back to being lazy and just buying lunch everyday :(

I'm thinking an easy activity for him to get into might be dodgeball.
Easy enough that he won't get hurt but at least it will get him moving. Any other "fun" sports? Probably not any that have a steep learning curve as he will be too discouraged. (I tried inviting him to snowboarding, hockey, etc.)

flipstah
12-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Floor hockey. :burnout:

Manhattan
12-02-2012, 02:46 AM
You need to break him down to build him back up.

jwslam
12-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
I'm thinking an easy activity for him to get into might be dodgeball.

As a fat person, I object to that. There's too much of me to be good at dodging balls. Just saying.

i hit the gym last june starting with a joke with my best friend that turned the other way.
no clue how this info helps you but seriously, that's the day i decided staying fat is not a solution.
albeit i'm still fat. but a hell of a lot farther closer to abs than i've ever been before.

CanmoreOrLess
12-02-2012, 11:14 AM
You can get "Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead" from the library, video store and I believe Telus and Shaw. It was a good watch for sure. I followed it up with ordering a juicer from the USA (saved $150.00) and in 12 days dropped 21 pounds, back to my university weight. Never felt better, off the coffee tit, white carb, junk food (free day once a week) as well. Been six weeks, planning on doing it again early in 2013 as it felt so good after day five.

Gv3vEXy_EwU