PDA

View Full Version : Nest Thermostat

Wrath
11-27-2012, 03:37 PM
What happens when all the people that developed the iPod leave Apple and form their own company

This

http://www.nest.com/

L8TkhHgkBsg

The Nerd in me loves this thing

Wrath
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I also realize that this has been brought up in some threads here....what are people experiences with it..is it worth $250.00?

sputnik
11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Its good if you have a single phase furnace and A/C.

Once you get into variable speed DC fans and modulating burners the Nest is actually a downgrade from other thermostats.

lint
11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
the nest is awesome. no idea how this is a downgrade from a Honeywell. I have dual high efficiency furnaces, variable speed fans and a/c. first full month running the nests has reduced my enmax bill by $100. dead simple to make adjustments, easy to monitor from my iPhone, even my mom can adjust it when she comes over.

InRich
11-28-2012, 01:06 AM
looks cool, neat idea. alot of this kinda shit gonna be hitting the market... some guy pitched a key lock that unlocks with the iphone instead of a normal key the other day on dragons den.

sputnik
11-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by lint
the nest is awesome. no idea how this is a downgrade from a Honeywell. I have dual high efficiency furnaces, variable speed fans and a/c. first full month running the nests has reduced my enmax bill by $100. dead simple to make adjustments, easy to monitor from my iPhone, even my mom can adjust it when she comes over.

High end furnaces communicate with the thermostats to adjust the fan speeds and flame depending on the temperature and humidity in the house. They also have the ability to log errors, airflow CFM, humidity etc to the thermostat.

The Nest is really just an on/off switch for the furnace fan and burner that has the ability to connect to your phone and learn your heating patterns.

wtf im nameless
11-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by InRich
looks cool, neat idea. alot of this kinda shit gonna be hitting the market... some guy pitched a key lock that unlocks with the iphone instead of a normal key the other day on dragons den.

I wonder if anyone told him they've already been out for a few years?

The nest is by far the nicest looking t-stat on the market but there are better options out there. What I don't like about the Nest is just like Apple they lock it down and won't let automation companies integrate it into their systems, which it's already easily capable of doing if they unlocked it.

D'z Nutz
11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless
The nest is by far the nicest looking t-stat on the market but there are better options out there.

Such as? I want to upgrade my thermostat cause mine's pretty plain and featureless. This is a pretty neat idea, but I don't know if I can justify $250.

seer_claw
11-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Such as? I want to upgrade my thermostat cause mine's pretty plain and featureless. This is a pretty neat idea, but I don't know if I can justify $250.

http://www.ecobee.com/

Is one of the major competitors to the the Nest.

mix123
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I've had a Nest for 6 months or so. I really like it. I would say the auto away feature is the most useful in my home. I come and go often and having it stop heating the home if I'm gone for more than 30 minutes and then start heating (without me touching it) when I get back is definetly cool.

LLLimit
11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Gives a monthly report too.
It's not as comprehensive and detailed as I'd like it to be, especially for the final price of ~$280, but it's a start.

http://i.imgur.com/fgvmw.png

lint
11-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
High end furnaces communicate with the thermostats to adjust the fan speeds and flame depending on the temperature and humidity in the house. They also have the ability to log errors, airflow CFM, humidity etc to the thermostat.

The Nest is really just an on/off switch for the furnace fan and burner that has the ability to connect to your phone and learn your heating patterns.

the nest has humidity sensors, logs energy usage, adjusts based on local weather, learns your patterns and is dead simple to use.

My old honeywell units were the vision pro 8000, I had them programed with the same schedule and the nest has still reduced my monthly bill by > $100.

What value does airflow CFM provide?

sputnik
11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
the nest has humidity sensors, logs energy usage, adjusts based on local weather, learns your patterns and is dead simple to use.

The humidity sensor on the NEST does nothing other than report the humidity. Advanced thermostats adjust the fan speed and flame to find an optimal humidity in your house. It also has no ability to control humidifiers, dehumidifiers, HRVs etc.

The Nest doesn't have the ability to handle mulit-stage setups. My AC has a two-stage compressor allows the AC to work smarter and more efficiently by adjusting the fan speeds and cooling output. The Nest simply turns the AC and furnace fan on and off.

As for the "local temperature" this is really only the temperature for your area based on Internet weather. There is no sensor for your exact location which can result in much different temperatures especially in a city like Calgary where the NW has terrible weather compared to the south.

My old honeywell units were the vision pro 8000, I had them programed with the same schedule and the nest has still reduced my monthly bill by > $100.

What is your average monthly heating bill that the Nest was able to drop it by $100/month?

Don't get me wrong the Nest LOOKS awesome and is excellent for access via a phone or laptop. However it does nothing for actually controlling comfort settings on modern high efficiency furnaces and air conditioners.

LLLimit
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM

The Nest doesn't have the ability to handle mulit-stage setups.

http://support.nest.com/article/What-is-a-multistage-system

mix123
11-28-2012, 11:48 AM

The humidity sensor on the NEST does nothing other than report the humidity. It also has no ability to control humidifiers, dehumidifiers, HRVs etc.

This is wrong... The newest nest thermostat can control your humidifier.

http://support.nest.com/article/2nd-generation-Nest-Learning-Thermostat-technical-specifications

It also appears it works with multistage AC/Heat as well.

eblend
11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Looks neat, but I prefer my Honeywell

http://www.igmanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Honeywell_Prestige_HD_7DayProg-300x182.jpg

Real wireless temperature sensor that shows outside weather and humidity and adjust the thermostat accordingly, as well as a neat remote that I keep in the bedroom to control the thermostat remotely. The remote can also be used as the source temperature sensor, so you can ensure that your bedroom reaches a desired temperature, rather than the central thermostat location.

The nest is a cool idea, but really, I prefer my shit to be warm when I come home...vs it just kicking in when I arrive. I have a fairy regular schedule, so it works great for me. All touchscreen as well and super easy to use. Has a separate module if you want to do the whole online control of the thermostat as well, which I don't find useful but it may be for some.

seer_claw
11-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Looks neat, but I prefer my Honeywell

Real wireless temperature sensor that shows outside weather and humidity and adjust the thermostat accordingly, as well as a neat remote that I keep in the bedroom to control the thermostat remotely. The remote can also be used as the source temperature sensor, so you can ensure that your bedroom reaches a desired temperature, rather than the central thermostat location.

The nest is a cool idea, but really, I prefer my shit to be warm when I come home...vs it just kicking in when I arrive. I have a fairy regular schedule, so it works great for me. All touchscreen as well and super easy to use. Has a separate module if you want to do the whole online control of the thermostat as well, which I don't find useful but it may be for some.

Where did you get yours and how much did it cost?

eblend
11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw

Where did you get yours and how much did it cost?

It was more expensive than the nest from what I remember, but mine was a set with that remote and the outdoor temp sensor. There are a bunch of other sensors you can buy for different things.

I bought mine on eBay, its called Honeywell Prestige HD, paid $270 for the kit + think $20 bucks in shipping.

I installed it myself in place of my existing thermostat. The manual is rather large as there is a ton of things this can do for a bunch of different configurations, mine was an easy one.

wtf im nameless
11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I didn't say they were lesser expensive options. But there are options. This is one of the ones I'm keeping my eye on right now, the CT80:

http://www.radiothermostat.com/control.html

There's also the Aprilaire products:

http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfAction=ProductDetails&category=23&sub=comm&item=8800

I need stuff that works with home automation systems and currently the Nest doesn't. But rumor has it that they are working on a new Nest with Zigbee communications built in, once that happens that happens I'll take another look at it.