PDA

View Full Version : Foam Cutting?

KRyn
11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I just bought a new Pelican case (1720 to be exact) that doesn't come with the pluck foam. Instead it has large sheets that need to be custom cut. Just curious if anyone has any experience cutting foam or the tools needed to do it (hot knife or electric carving knife)? If so would you be interested in cutting the foam in my case? I will provide beer and/or cash for your time.

Cheers!

kvg
11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Use a straight edge and a really really sharp razor.

KRyn
11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Use a straight edge and a really really sharp razor.

I think this is what I am going to end up doing. I will go buy a package or two of disposable razors from Home Depot and take my time. Hopefully I can make some half decent cuts.

Hmm online community seems to think a hot wire cutter is the best and an electric knife second best. May go buy the knife and give it a whirl this weekend.

Chantastic
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
From what I've seen, most of those electric foam cutters look like jeweler saws, which means they are agile but you can't just line them up with a ruler for cutting straight. If you feel brave and are cheap (like me), just get a really sharp blade and a metal ruler. Mark the lines first (you might need a China marker, pastel, or piece of chalk for this, depending on what kind of foam it is), press the ruler down as firmly as you can, and then make a first light pass with the blade. Keep holding the ruler there, make another pass. Keep doing this, pressing harder with the knife each time. If it get's difficult, change the blade out.

Czar
12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I was told to do the following (if you want a really clean cut):

- Soak the foam in water and wring it out (so that it's still moist)
- Freeze it (pretty simple, now that it's winter)
- Cut it with a serated blade.
- After your done, wait for the foam to dry out.

The foam should harden enough so that you can cut it without tearing.

KRyn
12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Czar
I was told to do the following (if you want a really clean cut):

- Soak the foam in water and wring it out (so that it's still moist)
- Freeze it (pretty simple, now that it's winter)
- Cut it with a serated blade.
- After your done, wait for the foam to dry out.

The foam should harden enough so that you can cut it without tearing.

This has been mentioned on the internet. I may give this a try this weekend. Either that or I will attempt to make a hot wire cutter.

4runneron36s
12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Or you can buy one from PM Hobbycraft, $35

http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/HOT-WIRE-FOAM-CUTTER-WOOST1435/

KRyn
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 4runneron36s
Or you can buy one from PM Hobbycraft, $35

http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/HOT-WIRE-FOAM-CUTTER-WOOST1435/

Called a few hobby stores, I found a table hot wire cutter. Going to give it a shot this weekend.

4runneron36s
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
after you're done you could post it up for sale on a hobby site, might recoup some $, but im not sure it'd be worth your time.

KRyn
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 4runneron36s
after you're done you could post it up for sale on a hobby site, might recoup some $, but im not sure it'd be worth your time.

Good call, but I plan to add some more pieces to my Pelican case as time goes on. I was told the unit was $50.00, for that price I will keep it forever. I am sure as my collections grows I will need another case to store even more firepower.

Chantastic
12-05-2012, 10:29 PM
let us know how it goes!

KRyn
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Ugh couldn't find what I was looking for this weekend despite a hobby shop tell me they had a hot wire cutting board in stock.
Going to get an electric knife and give it a shot this weekend.