PDA

View Full Version : basement light wiring

thager
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
ok im trying to hook up a new light fixture in my basement , someone eltse removed the old fixture and i dont know how it was wired, there are 3 sets of wires in thew box 1 set from breaker box 1 set going to another light and 1 going to a switch, heres a pic
can i hook it up so both lights run off the switch? currently the other light is a pull cord type fixture.

gram
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
What do you need help with exactly? This is commonly called or known as a pigtail. Basically that box was probably there as a junction box. The wires coming in (black and white) (from switch) go in to that box probably to a fixture in that light ie lightbulb and then continue to another receptacle? I'm not sure what the question you are asking is. Are you wondering why the 2 blacks and the 2 whites are tied (pigtaield together)?

If you are it is because they are probably pigtailed using the electrical box in your picture as a junction box.

Hope that helps, if not let me know.

***EDIT***here is a great site I found to help you:

http://www.mauenvios.com/trujillo2001/DIYH/DIY_my-own-house-electrical-wiring.htm

thager
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
sorry , what do i connect the white and black from my new light to make it work with the switch.

gram
12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
is the light in the box pictured or a box further down the line?

thager
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
down the line , its in another area of the basement.

Perfect Dark
12-01-2012, 08:56 PM
The white wire to the switch goes with the 2 black wires, then the black wire to the switch goes to the black on the light. The white on the light goes to the 2 white wires.

Edit: To make the switch work with both lights take the black that goes to the second light and terminate it with the black from the switch and the black from the light.

gram
12-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Okay re-read your 1st post. So this box is basically a junction box. You can add a light to this box-it will run off the switch i.e.: when you turn the switch on the bulb will turn on and vice versa. The other light down the line will also be powered but you have 2 switches for that one in reality (the 1st switch and the pull cord switch)

If you want to kill the second light (pull switch) just disconnect the wires that are pigtailed (wrapped to the wires in this box)

As for if it is safe or not...there are a certain number of devices that you can have per breaker. Don't quote me on this but I think/am pretty sure it is 6? you can easily look up that info.

**Edit*** info on hook up the wires is above from Perfect

thager
12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
ok thanks guys :thumbsup:

Perfect Dark
12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by gram
Okay re-read your 1st post. So this box is basically a junction box. You can add a light to this box-it will run off the switch i.e.: when you turn the switch on the bulb will turn on and vice versa. The other light down the line will also be powered but you have 2 switches for that one in reality (the 1st switch and the pull cord switch)

If you want to kill the second light (pull switch) just disconnect the wires that are pigtailed (wrapped to the wires in this box)

As for if it is safe or not...there are a certain number of devices that you can have per breaker. Don't quote me on this but I think/am pretty sure it is 6? you can easily look up that info.

12 devices per circuit.

Unknown303
12-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark

12 devices per circuit.

:werd:

thager
12-01-2012, 09:22 PM
it works thanks again