PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Catfish z28 build

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SkiBum5.0
12-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Nice car! Where in Texas did you get it?

Hallowed_point
12-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Nice car! Where in Texas did you get it?

Texas Hot Rides - Carrollton

btimbit
01-02-2018, 05:04 PM
When do you go get it?

Hallowed_point
01-02-2018, 07:08 PM
When do you go get it? Early April, roads permitting. Or worst case , I’ll bring it to my dads townhouse in Richmond in April if Rogers pass is still a mess.

btimbit
01-02-2018, 11:51 PM
Early April, roads permitting. Or worst case , I’ll bring it to my dads townhouse in Richmond in April if Rogers pass is still a mess.

Awesome. So I'm predicting this will feel like the longest winter ever for you now? lol

Be sure to post about your experience, I checked out the site of that place and they have some interesting stuff I think I'd be interested in. Think it's time to retire the Hyundai and get a real car, lol

Hallowed_point
01-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Awesome. So I'm predicting this will feel like the longest winter ever for you now? lol

Be sure to post about your experience, I checked out the site of that place and they have some interesting stuff I think I'd be interested in. Think it's time to retire the Hyundai and get a real car, lol

Nah, only about 90 days or so...haha it's something to look forward to! Got my cell phone and work desktop the same as my profile pic on beyond.
So glad to finally be able to have a V8 muscle car that doesn't need to be daily driven. It ruins the fun with the rough ride quality and low rpm torque
which you basically cannot use.

Damn!! Hyundai's are great commuter cars though. Especially exclusive models such as the veloster!

For sure I will. The customer service from Texas Hot Rides has been fantastic so far. They've done a complete detail and have changed all fluids on my car without me even having to bug them. They've been extremely
transparent about the whole process. I think I'm the first Canadian to buy a car from them in some time. Had some pretty hilarious text exchanges.

Hallowed_point
01-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Update: Fakebook payed off. Posted my car in an LT1 specific group and who comes out of the woodwork bu the former owner of my 97 SS (owned it for 17 years, 3 months.) He
sold it to THR as he said it was too clean and low mileage to modify heavily engine wise. Turns out that the car comes with much more than just 3 piece Subframe Connectors and
the Strut Tower bar!

It comes with brand new Koni shocks, Strano springs (the king shit of F body Auto X/Handling) , Adjustable Pan Hard Bar, Drive Shaft Loop, Adjustable Lower Control Arms and skip shift (CAGS) eliminator.

Hallowed_point
01-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Is it April yet> 81041

HiTempguy1
01-16-2018, 02:54 PM
So jealous. I'm interested to see where your LT1 engine works goes though, not known for being the easiest motor to get more power out of. And that f'in optispark.

Reason I ask is I've owned a couple. Any reasonable research led me to either going 408 stroker or going home/LSX.

Shlade
01-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Thats gotta be nice and exciting especially finding the original owner as well who has history on it!

Hallowed_point
01-16-2018, 07:35 PM
^Thanks Gents !

As Tom Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part!

So far , I have an air foil for the throttle body. It’s makes 310 hp stock which is f all by today’s standards, but it also doesn’t come close to 4000 lbs! I’m gonna play it by ear. If I’m really unsatisfied , pro charger is a click away for a bolt in kit for 500 hp. This is really just a fun summer car. Not gonna turbo it or LS swap it unless somehow it makes sense.

The suspension is completely gone over and I'll bet it'll pull close to 1 G. Think she'll make a nice weekend track rat

96-97 models have the vented opti which is less problematic. It can’t possibly be more unreliable than my former 95 Mustang gt ..

carson blocks
01-17-2018, 05:39 PM
You can replace the optispark with an MSD as well and never have to worry about it again. My old LT1 C4 'vette (pretty sure it was corsvettes old car) had that mod, seemed to work well.

Hallowed_point
01-18-2018, 08:42 AM
You can replace the optispark with an MSD as well and never have to worry about it again. My old LT1 C4 'vette (pretty sure it was corsvettes old car) had that mod, seemed to work well.

Yeah, I've heard great things about the MSD unit. If I start getting sputtering or any other signs of ignition trouble I'll get it. That said, the car only has 80,000 kms. I think I'll still be ok for awhile provided that I don't do something stupid such
as wash the engine bay or take it through a drive through car wash.

Hallowed_point
10-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Update: haven't done a whole lot to the car post OOP. Really happy with how it handles and drives. Instant steering response. Not being built up as a 1/4 mile car. Added the tb airfoil when I bought it. Doing the tb coolant bypass as it's free and should gain 5-10 crank hp with how heat soaked it gets. Winter plans are 1.6 roller rockers with LT4 valve springs to safely wind it out to 6300 rpm a little smoother. I've put 9600 kms on it since April and it's been quite reliable. Worst MPG has been 18 100% city. Average around 22-24 on shell 91.

Maxx Mazda
10-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Best looking generation of Camaro.

JfuckinC
10-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Best looking generation of Camaro.

After '73 ya... haha

That's a pretty wicked ride though man! so clean.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Really awesome.

never
10-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Update: haven't done a whole lot to the car post OOP.

What the hell...why no power adder yet???

;)

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 09:27 AM
^ Thanks a lot all. I'm enjoying it more than my 98 Z28. I think a lot of that has to do with how much better it sounds with the SLP exhaust and LT1. Plus the Koni struts and lowering springs. The ride quality is firmer but not harsher than my old car. It really likes the corners.

As for power adder, I would need to have money set aside for an S60 or 12 bolt. I know that we live in the day of 5 second 0-60 camry's but 4.9 stock is working pretty well for me :)

never
10-17-2018, 09:36 AM
^ Thanks a lot all. I'm enjoying it more than my 98 Z28. I think a lot of that has to do with how much better it sounds with the SLP exhaust and LT1.

As for power adder, I would need to have money set aside for an S60 or 12 bolt. I know that we live in the day of 5 second 0-60 camry's but 4.9 stock is working pretty well for me :)

Sorry...I have a power problem so I had to ask! ;) But I know where you're coming from...a comfortable and quick car can be very enjoyable. Don't need to be able to blow the tires off at 200+ km/h to have fun in a car!

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Sorry...I have a power problem so I had to ask! ;) But I know where you're coming from...a comfortable and quick car can be very enjoyable. Don't need to be able to blow the tires off at 200+ km/h to have fun in a car! Totally. I want to slowly work away at it and keep it a reliable street car. Don't really want it to be any louder. 88 DB is pretty loud .. Must be getting old. The low end torque is awesome off a stop light. Don't even need to chirp the tires and you're gone.

JRSC00LUDE
10-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Those had a 4.9 0-60 time?

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Those had a 4.9 0-60 time?

https://www.caranddriver.com/archives/chevrolet-camaro-z28-ss-page-7

That's the best stock time I've seen from C&D. High of 5.3 seconds in other mags. 1/4 traps from 101 - 106 mph stock which for 21 years ago is pretty quick.

You have to really feather the launch as anything above 1500 spins the tires. It runs out of steam a little bit above 60 mph vs the LS1 f bodies, but the functional ram air really works good at high speeds. Just coarser feeling than the LS1 power plant, hence LT4 valve springs and 1.6 roller rocker plan.

JRSC00LUDE
10-17-2018, 10:31 AM
I didn't realize they had that much go. I never paid attention to them as I was never a fan of the styling. I like it more now than I did then, which I find to be the case with a lot of cars for some reason. Anyway, it looks good!

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 10:40 AM
I didn't realize they had that much go. I never paid attention to them as I was never a fan of the styling. I like it more now than I did then, which I find to be the case with a lot of cars for some reason. Anyway, it looks good!

Me neither. I think it has a lot to do with the 275 width tires and better suspension vs the Z28 models. I always thought the Lt1 cars were slow after test driving a worn out 95 Z28. Thanks man, I love the car just wish the headlight's weren't stuck in the 80's. Not the greatest at night combined with the tint.

never
10-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Totally. I want to slowly work away at it and keep it a reliable street car. Don't really want it to be any louder. 88 DB is pretty loud .. Must be getting old. The low end torque is awesome off a stop light. Don't even need to chirp the tires and you're gone.

If it's any consolation, the brown car has been super reliable given the amount of power it makes (so you can up yours a bunch!). Have gone out for some pretty long cruises (5 hours) with no issues. But with the 5" exhaust, it isn't quiet cruising on the highway so I'm going to build a more street friendly setup for it. At least I can crank to music to kind of overpower it for now!

- - - Updated - - -

...just wish the headlight's weren't stuck in the 80's. Not the greatest at night combined with the tint.

What type of bulbs does it take?

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 11:09 AM
If it's any consolation, the brown car has been super reliable given the amount of power it makes (so you can up yours a bunch!). Have gone out for some pretty long cruises (5 hours) with no issues. But with the 5" exhaust, it isn't quiet cruising on the highway so I'm going to build a more street friendly setup for it. At least I can crank to music to kind of overpower it for now! I say yes, MasterCard says no. The brown car is a killer street car. I really like that build. And I would believe that it's very reliable with the power plant. I need to get a little high-speed/rpm driveline vibration taken care of. Think it's from DL angle due to lowering springs. Any recommendations in Calgary?

- - - Updated - - -

If it's any consolation, the brown car has been super reliable given the amount of power it makes (so you can up yours a bunch!). Have gone out for some pretty long cruises (5 hours) with no issues. But with the 5" exhaust, it isn't quiet cruising on the highway so I'm going to build a more street friendly setup for it. At least I can crank to music to kind of overpower it for now!

- - - Updated - - -

What type of bulbs does it take?

Not too sure. They are those crappy sealed beam type headlights so the output is pretty weak. I've been running high beams at night when possible and haven't gotten flashed yet likely due to how low it is. Better than someone hitting the car.

never
10-17-2018, 11:19 AM
I say yes, MasterCard says no. The brown car is a killer street car. I really like that build. And I would believe that it's very reliable with the power plant. I need to get a little high-speed/rpm driveline vibration taken care of. Think it's from DL angle due to lowering springs. Any recommendations in Calgary?

Not too sure. They are those crappy sealed beam type headlights so the output is pretty weak. I've been running high beams at night when possible and haven't gotten flashed yet likely due to how low it is. Better than someone hitting the car.

I'm not sure of a shop to recommend a diagnosis but I wouldn't think the lowering springs and resulting minor change in pinion angle is causing it. Maybe lost a weight off the driveshaft or wheels? Is it a 1-piece or 2-piece driveshaft?

If the lights are sealed, you should confirm the housing size. I went to aftermarket housings with replaceable bulbs on the brown car and put in some higher quality bulbs...huge difference!

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure of a shop to recommend a diagnosis but I wouldn't think the lowering springs and resulting minor change in pinion angle is causing it. Maybe lost a weight off the driveshaft or wheels? Is it a 1-piece or 2-piece driveshaft?

If the lights are sealed, you should confirm the housing size. I went to aftermarket housings with replaceable bulbs on the brown car and put in some higher quality bulbs...huge difference!

1 piece steel stock D/S. Car was aligned with OOP and doesn't wander or do anything else weird. Could be a weight off the ds.

Just found an HID conversion kit. Might do that!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Good for you for not worrying about power levels. I’m extremely bored of the power level of my car after one season. If only I hadn’t been fighting reliability issues all year we could have gone for a drive and compared cars.

Hallowed_point
10-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Good for you for not worrying about power levels. I’m extremely bored of the power level of my car after one season. If only I hadn’t been fighting reliability issues all year we could have gone for a drive and compared cars.

For sure! Your Z06 makes good power it would be neat to see how different they feel. Hopefully next season is better.

Hallowed_point
10-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Dropping it off at Pat's Driveline next week. Centre console is shaking pretty good at high speeds. Want to get it checked out before driveshaft exits stage left. It has a loop, but I'd rather not experience that possibility.

Hallowed_point
10-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Turns out the driveshaft loop was lightly contacting the driveshaft over bumps and full throttle as it had bent upwards on one side of the underbody tunnel brace mounting due to a large speed bump. Cut the loop off and retained the flat bar to maintain tunnel stiffness. Vibration is now 80-90% better, but I still need some pinion angle adjustment made. Thinking Dale Adam's. My buddy that helped cut the loop has a C7 Z06 which is absolutely insane. 650 hp is plenty!

never
10-23-2018, 09:42 AM
That's good. Is your rear suspension adjustable to tweak the pinion angle?

Hallowed_point
10-23-2018, 10:21 AM
I do have double adjustable poly/poly rear lower control arms. I've been talking to UMI and they're given me an eyelet to eyelet measurement to hopefully correct this. I don't have an adjustable torque arm unfortunately.

I think a loop is overkill unless you're running slicks/nitrous or well over 400 hp. Not sure why prior owner installed one.

Hallowed_point
11-01-2018, 01:43 PM

mikestypes was kind enough to pass along some rear lower control arm relocation brackets. These help the rear tires "bite" better post lowering due to the change in drivetrain angle. Apparently good for .1 to .2 off the ET. I will be installing them this weekend.

Hallowed_point
11-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Follow up. Rear LCA brackets sure help the car dig in. Nice black stripes when you lean on it. Also thanks to Evan @ Rev'd Performance for installing them. Great shop!

Hallowed_point
02-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Still enjoying the Camaro SS. It currently has 70,000 miles on it from the original 54,000 upon driving it home from Texas in April 2018. Vibration ended up being the crank harmonic balancer as the rubber had separated ever so slightly. Haven't done much to it lately, adjusted the lower control arm relocation brackets to the lowest position as it was spinning a lot off the line. Intake elbow was torn so replaced that with a 1LE (no sound resonator tube) elbow. Pulled the intake manifold and resealed it as the rtv was compromised at the back china wall. Have all accessories (spark plug boots, gaskets etc) ready for long tube headers, just need to purchase them. Going with Speed Engineering stainless and matching 3" off-road y pipe although high flow cats will be added. Also added a 3.5" aluminum Lingenfelter driveshaft to replace the oem steel unit. It's going to need a new clutch soon so still figuring that out.

Hallowed_point
02-19-2021, 10:29 AM
During a recent discussion on the Camaro SS Mailing list it was discovered that some Camaro SS's built during 1996 and 1997 had been "quieted."
After some research it was reported to the list that early in the 1997 model production year the Camaro SS failed a drive by test which required the cars to "quieted" down.
Now as many of you know April 1st 1997 SLP redid the "Performance Exhaust" option. The newer exhaust had to meet more stringent noise limits. This was done by splitting the exhaust so that it now had exhaust tips on either side of the vehicle.

However, before this new exhaust went into effect in April it seems that SLP (At Chevrolet's behest) inserted a restrictor into the exhaust pipe to quiet the cars down even more. This device which we have been jokingly calling the "Cone of Silence" after the old "Get Smart" television show further restricted the exhaust.

Removing this restrictor improved the tone of the exhaust slightly as well as provided a little bump in power. The optional SLP performance catback with powerflo muffler option is a 3" stainless setup which now breaths properly without the cone of silence.

"975759757697577