PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked Phone?

-relk-
12-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I have googled the shit out of this, and looked on the xda forums and whatnot, but I am still confused on the answer. Hoping someone can help me out.

Situation is I bought a new phone (Nexus 4) today, my old phone (Bell HTC Desire Z), I want to give to my GF to use. She is with Telus. I have rooted my phone, in the process changing s-on to s-off. My question is, with s-off enabled, does that mean the phone is unlocked to all carriers? The answers on the interwebz never really seemed to give me a definitive answer. If not, will I have to buy one of those unlock codes, or is there a free way to do it?

Thanks for any help.

Note: I am aware of the need for a SIM card and all that, just wanted to know if my phone is unlocked or not right now...

EK69
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't think s off unlocks the phone...has something to do with boot loader or security I think?
Search specifically for unlock at xda. If there is a free way then they will have it. I can try to search and help later on as well.

revelations
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
OP rooting is not unlocking - you will prob have to buy a code.

BigDL
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
nm, didn't read clearly.

Root != unlock, and rooting won't unlock it. Most likely you will have to fork over some cash to get it unlocked. You can try to call and tell your cell company that you are traveling and need my phone unlocked. if not try http://www.cellunlocker.net