PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Fence, Wired or Wireless, anyone used these?

cidley69
12-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Moving to a community with a no-fences-allowed bylaw, and looking at using an invisible fence.

The idea of not having to dig a trench to bury the wire makes the wireless option sound attractive. Not sure if these are as effective as the other type, where you bury a wire on perimeter of property.

Anyone used either of these types, got any thoughts on them?

03ozwhip
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
what do you want to use it for, your dog?

cidley69
12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
dogs and kids.

jk, just dogs.

sorry fogot to state that in the post.

03ozwhip
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM
ill tell you one thing about the wired, its fucking annoying to your neighbors when its summer out and the dog stays in the front yard close to the perimeter because all it does is beep loudly, i can hear it from 5 houses away.

this is coming from a house that is 2 houses away from me...

codetrap
12-05-2012, 09:46 AM
^Dark night.. pair of wire cutters.. speaker disconnected... problem solved.

chibwack
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I didn't know they had speakers...

My old roommates had two dogs, beagle and lab, and they wanted to keep them off a certain part of the lawn so his wife got one of those systems, no speakers but instead one that shocks the dog periodically when he crosses the line. They learned fast, to say the least. The one dog is kinda bitchy, and she only had to wear the collar for a week or so and to this day she won't cross that line. The lab is to social though so he'll forget about it in favor of coming to visit us on the other side, so the collar has to go back on him every so often to remind him.

So get the system that shocks them silently when they pass the barrier. Works a treat until somebody starts calling them in from the other side potentially.

speedog
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Wired is better - in either case, a system with a time-out correction is better. We know from customers in our shop that some dogs will get past a buried line if there is no time-out correction - they just take the hit and keep on going, these types of dogs are few though.

Problem with wireless is it's kind of like any home based radio transmitter system (wifi for example) - there are so many variables that can affect it's performance and because it's totally a wireless perimeter based system, changes in your environment can affect it's capabilities. Opposed to this, an in-ground system has a very defined perimeter but that comes with a usually higher expense due to more components being involved.

That said, the wireless system is a DIY product while you can get both a DIY in-ground wired system or you can have an in-ground wired system installed for you. Problems that may (and often do) crop up include breaks in the underground wires come spring thaw plus the collar batteries will go dead when it's usually not convenient.

Also, some of the better built brand name systems (Pet Stop Pet Fence Systems or Invisible Fence Brand for example) use proprietary batteries that you just can get off of the shelf at Home Depot, Canadian Tire, pet supply stores or even Battery World and even at that, collar batteries for some of the other brand name systems (PetSafe for example) can be somewhat difficult to obtain - your local grocery or drug store will most likely not carry these specialized batteries.

Recommendation is to go with a wired in-ground system - a little more work and expense at the outset, but more effective results with your pet as the perimeter is much more defined.

speedog
12-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
^Dark night.. pair of wire cutters.. speaker disconnected... problem solved.
Beeper is usually an internal thing on the animal's collar - good luck finding the wire without destroying the collar module itself.

codetrap
12-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Beeper is usually an internal thing on the animal's collar - good luck finding the wire without destroying the collar module itself. Hahaha.. I had no idea. Yeah, I can see your point.. in the dark, trying to manhandle a dog wearing a collar to sever a wire to shut off the speaker on it's property.. lol.. I can't see that ending well..

Seth1968
12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Hahaha.. I had no idea. Yeah, I can see your point.. in the dark, trying to manhandle a dog wearing a collar to sever a wire to shut off the speaker on it's property.. lol.. I can't see that ending well..

Imagine if that somehow pooched the controller and the dog started to get perma shock. lol