PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Leather and Top Grain Leather & Leatherette

JSAB
12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Why do people think Genuine Leather means it is real leather? I saw my partner's broken belt which is used for only couple of months, and noticed that it was genuine leather. On the other hand, there is another leather belt bought from a local store, which is used for last 15 years and it is still good for the fact that it is not genuine leather.
While reading about it I found that Genuine Leather is not really leather it is just a name used by sellers.
I bought some Bar Chairs really cool one from a Furniture Store in SE for just 79 each. Everywhere the stitches are there, I can see the big stretches and its ripping apart :(

Lex350
12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
They also use phases as top grain leather and people confuse it for the real deal.

You should always look for a "Full grain" leather. So often in furniture you get a "split grain" leather. This is where they cut the leather in half. The top grain has the look of any other full grain leather but is half as thick and ususally is treated with a sealer. That is why is is usually cold to sit on compared to a full grain quality (not sealed) leather that is room tempurature.

The "bottom grain" which is left over is then sanded and textured to look like the top grain. This is the shit you usually get at Ikea, The Brick and so on.

The process is the same for leather clothing as well.

Always look for a full grain leather and one that doesn't have the pours filled with sealer.