PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Keurig owners!

spikerS
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
So decided to get the filthy Keurig machine and put my beloved tassimo to rest. Thing looks pretty, like that I can select from 5 cup sizes, truly hot water, large reservoir.

But I found a problem.

I am getting a strong metallic / plastic taste in anything I brew now. I have run through a ton of vinegar and water and it has gotten a bit better, but the taste is still there.

Anyone have some tips to help get rid of the taste?

schocker
12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Are you using filtered water? I just got one also and ran it through with hot water only one time and it tasted fine for the coffees I made after that. Maybe you should exchange it.

2.2vtec
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes first time I ran the hot water clean out thing in the instructions. Always use filtered water. Never had a problem

blitz
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Are you using the re-usable filter cartridge? Taste could be coming from that.

Smartiepants
12-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Mine resolved itself, lasted about a week and I was ready to write it off as terrible.

ZEDGE
12-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Thinking of ditching the Tassimo for this too. Being able to use your own coffee is a big plus with these things.

Sugarphreak
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM

spikerS
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
Thinking of ditching the Tassimo for this too. Being able to use your own coffee is a big plus with these things.

100% of the reason I switched to Keurig. I love my Tassimo, great and easy machine, but the ability to use my own coffee won me over.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Certain brands have a funny taste to them, you have to find a type you like.

Try "Green Mountain" blends, the Nantucket and Magic Dark are pretty good. I also like the Starbucks "House" blend.

It's not the coffee of the cup, as it happens with any blend i use, even with teas. Having said that, it was not that bad this morning, and was less noticeable. I was actually able to drink this last cup.

baygirl
12-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know where we can buy the individual cups so I can try different ones without buying a whole box? I was told this was an option, but haven't seen them around.

topsecret
12-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Try going to a place like van houtte coffee they might have single cup samples to sell/giveaway!

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Van-Houtte-Coffee-Services/1852011.html

Thaco
12-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
Does anyone know where we can buy the individual cups so I can try different ones without buying a whole box? I was told this was an option, but haven't seen them around. i cant remember the name of the place (it might be coffee connection, but i could be wrong), but there is a store in the NE where you just buy a box, it holds 2 dozen cups, then you walk around the store and put whatever flavours you want in it.

sr20s14zenki
12-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Timothys I think does that

jwslam
12-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Timothys I think does that
The cross iron one does for sure

dino_martini
12-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
Does anyone know where we can buy the individual cups so I can try different ones without buying a whole box? I was told this was an option, but haven't seen them around.

I believe you want to go to the Coffee Connection. If I remember correctly my girlfriend bought individual k cups there.

The Coffee Connection
Phone: 403-269-5977
Fax: 403-276-9963
1047 - 26 Street N.E.
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
T2A 6K8

Probably best to give them a call to confirm though.

TrU-PaK
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by spikers
So decided to get the filthy Keurig machine and put my beloved tassimo to rest. Thing looks pretty, like that I can select from 5 cup sizes, truly hot water, large reservoir.

But I found a problem.

I am getting a strong metallic / plastic taste in anything I brew now. I have run through a ton of vinegar and water and it has gotten a bit better, but the taste is still there.

I actually switched from Keurig 60 to Tassimo because of this plastic type taste. I thought maybe it was the brand of coffee I was using, but I did try several different coffees, tea's and hot chocolates and still couldnt get rid of that taste. After a year I finally switched and couldn't be happier.

My 2 cents.

schocker
12-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by TrU-PaK

I actually switched from Keurig 60 to Tassimo because of this plastic type taste. I thought maybe it was the brand of coffee I was using, but I did try several different coffees, tea's and hot chocolates and still couldnt get rid of that taste. After a year I finally switched and couldn't be happier.

My 2 cents.
Did you try a different machine :confused:

I got my two ekobrews from amazon so I will give those a try this weekend and see how they work. :burnout:

thetransporter
12-15-2012, 01:34 AM
same thing happen to me - office just orders a new one - we send them back .

reijo
12-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by spikers

But I found a problem.

Had the same plasticy taste and ran 2 or 3 reservoirs of hot water and the taste was gone ... probably residue or whatever left from the factory I thought.

Mine is good now.

R

nzwasp
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know where to buy "my k-cups" in calgary - so you can use your own grounds in a reusable container?

Neil4Speed
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Does anyone know where to buy "my k-cups" in calgary - so you can use your own grounds in a reusable container?

You should be able to get them in most places around town (ie. Home outfitters etc), but I didn't find it worked very well, but seems to have good review online

nzwasp
12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I found a hack online to make them work better - after telling the wife about them she told me we have one but due to my selective listening skills I don't remember her telling me.

suntan
12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Does anyone know where to buy "my k-cups" in calgary - so you can use your own grounds in a reusable container? Do not buy it. It is a useless piece of crap. Order the ekobrew filter from amazon.ca instead. Or if you insist on getting something locally go to BBB and get the Solofill.

schocker
12-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Do not buy it. It is a useless piece of crap. Order the ekobrew filter from amazon.ca instead. Or if you insist on getting something locally go to BBB and get the Solofill.
I tried my ekobrew out on the weekend with some ground coffee I bought. Worked great and was super easy to clean. :thumbsup:

clem24
12-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I just bought a Tassimo and if I had known the water was faked boiled, I might've reconsidered. Not sure what they use to instantly heat the water but when it comes out, it's not that hot and as a result, drink gets cold pretty quickly... Also doesn't help that I make mocha by spooning in powered hot chocolate into the cup beforehand. Because it's not hot enough, the hot chocolate doesn't appear to fully dissolve. Maybe I should try using pre-boiled water next time LOL.

sr20s14zenki
12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
For the myK if you have one, you use a rubber faucet gasket that you can get for like 1$ at canadian tire.

suntan
12-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Thing with the My K-Cup is that you need to take out the whole lower assembly. With the others you just put in like a regular one use K-Cup.

nzwasp
12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I thought it would be as easy as fill the "reusable k cup type thing with grounds" insert in machine then brew - and after rinse / dishwasher the reususable kcup

also

I have one of these keurigs:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/product.asp?SKU=17189115&RN=4069&

and it really bugs me that I have to keep refilling the water reservoir. I can only use it until half way and then water stops coming out. Does anyone else have this issue?

suntan
12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Your water pump is probably broken. Keurigs have a lot of trouble with our super-hard water.

No, the My K-Cup is an atrocious mess. Trust me, get the Ekobrew. You will not regret it.

ZenOps
12-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Calgary is a must use filtered water. The calcium buildup is supposed to be taken care of, but the Keurigs automatic descaler cannot keep up with our rock hard water.

nzwasp
12-19-2012, 10:27 PM
We use filtered water in ours

suntan
12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
You need softened water, or get water from the grocery store.

CokerRat
12-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I just bought a Tassimo and if I had known the water was faked boiled, I might've reconsidered. Not sure what they use to instantly heat the water but when it comes out, it's not that hot and as a result, drink gets cold pretty quickly... Relatives of mine have two Tassimo's and they both make lattes scaldingly hot. I have to let it sit to cool down or it will burn my tongue. Maybe your unit's dorked? Or maybe it controls temperature based on the drink and the hot chocolate is calling for a cooler temp?