PDA

View Full Version : Older fuel injection system, struggling to hold idle

Kramerica
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
So I've got a 1984 VW scirocco that I basically bought on a whim. I know problems are bound to happen on a car as old as this one, but I enjoy living my life like its a continuous top gear challenge so I'm good with it, but I'd thought I'd get some feedback before I start going down dead ends swapping parts.

So when I start the car up first thing in the morning its usually fine. The issue comes after its been running for a while then left for a half hour to an hour. The car either idles really low to the point where it's borderline stalling or just won't hold an idle unless you keep the throttle down a little bit. Whenever this happens car hesitates with acceleration (feels uneven) and suffers power loss until you get past around 3000 rpm where it feels normal. I suspect it has something to do with either the fuel system or a valve in the air system getting stuck but I have had a chance to check it yet. Any thoughts or opinion?

natty54
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
few things:

hows the tune up?
have you checked the timing?

didn't really read the after part lol

check this out to go through the cis system

http://www.scirocco.org/tech/16v/ciseidle/flowchart.gif

nobb
12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Check the basics first. Did you try cleaning the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor? Also check for air leaks in the intake system (usually on the rubber/plastic tubes). It might also be wise to take out your spark plugs and check them as they can provide signs of combustion issues.

Fuel related problems are a bit harder to check, but it doesnt hurt to run some Seafoam or fuel injector cleaner through the system first before taking things apart.

Kramerica
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
In terms of stuff done the fuel filter is the only thing I've not done. Vacuum lines could be the culprit as the wiper fluid lines have cracked. And unless I'm mistaken I'm fairly certain k jetronic doesn't have a MAF sensor, that's how archaic this fuel system is. I'm thinking I may just dismantle the whole air system and go through with carb cleaner, don't really have the time till next week though.