PDA

View Full Version : Heated Garages in Calgary?

tfong
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Whats the avg cost of insulating and setting up a garage to be heated? Im looking to store and dry out hockey gear in it with the car.

Does rust become a factor for the car with the salt and ice from roads of Calgary?

Thanks!

SkiBum5.0
12-05-2012, 10:49 AM
What size garage? Is there drywall put up already or just framed in?

Insulating is the easy part - then you have to drywall (also a DIY if you have some tools and good friends).

The heating portion will depend on how big the garage is. You can get a industrial-type space heater or install a small furnace depending on size of garage and budget.

Your budget will need to include: insulation, drywall, supplies for drywall, heater, electrical for heater and all the labour if you choose to hire someone.

I would get a quote from a reputable contractor or three and go from there. Can't speculate on cost until you list the size.

tfong
12-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Its just framed and concrete. A typical double garage.

Rarasaurus
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
22x24 I paid about 1600 for insulation and drywall but did the labour myself. Also that is for R20 walls and R40 Ceiling.

We did a gas line and reznor heater for about 1600 but I think typical price is about 2500 to 3000.

So doing most of the work yourself probably 1600 + 2000 for heater.
Contractor would probably be around 3000 + 3000

No idea how much a good electrical heater would be.

sillysod
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
you don't need to put up drywall if you don't want on the walls. YOu can just leave the vapour barrier.

Lex350
12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
you don't need to put up drywall if you don't want on the walls. YOu can just leave the vapour barrier.

That's a half-assed job then. Besides the added value for fire spread prevention is worth the cost. You would be amazed at how fast a non-drywalled garage will burn compared to one that has it.

CapnCrunch
12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

That's a half-assed job then. Besides the added value for fire spread prevention is worth the cost. You would be amazed at how fast a non-drywalled garage will burn compared to one that has it.

I personally wouldn't care if there was drywall in my garage. (Assuming it's detached)

It's totally personal taste. That's like calling someone's car half assed because you don't like the color.

SkiBum5.0
12-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Beat me to it.

98type_r
12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Is gas an option or strictly electrical for you?

We have a detached garage but I don't want to deal trenching a gas line so I'd like to know what some good options for electrical heaters are.

tfong
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
So rust from salt and moisture isn't really an issue either for people here?

colinxx235
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6487/garagej.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/garagej.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

pretty new, so no rust comment. as for cost, umm definitely way up there. epoxy floors are fucking awesome tho

prosh
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by tfong
So rust from salt and moisture isn't really an issue either for people here?

Never been an issue for me, not sure if proper venting out has anything to do with it or not?

Rarasaurus
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Moisture can be an issue but can be cleared out with a fan or air circulation.

It has not been too bad and we have lots of snow melting off the cars when we drive in.

Rust on cars due to salt and keeping them warm will definately happen faster if you have bare metal on a car or rust already. That is just the science of it. For me its worth having a warm car every morning. If the paint is good it shoudlnt be an issue. Most people with expensive cars dont keep them outside.

tfong
12-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys this gives me some stuff to think on for sure.

colinxx235
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I probably should have input that the garage above is triple.

In floor heating along with full heating controls. Walking into a 19 degree C garage is a pretty nice feature. And the epoxy coating is supposed to be super great for cleaning. Plus it has a drainage system at the base of each door. oh the joys.

Lex350
12-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I personally wouldn't care if there was drywall in my garage. (Assuming it's detached)

It's totally personal taste. That's like calling someone's car half assed because you don't like the color.

My point is that it isn't a personal taste issue. It is whether or not the OP would care to have a garage that has better protection in case of a fire. :banghead:

CapnCrunch
12-05-2012, 04:48 PM

My point is that it isn't a personal taste issue. It is whether or not the OP would care to have a garage that has better protection in case of a fire. :banghead:

Protection from the garage fire getting outside of the garage? :banghead:

Like I said, assuming it's detached, its personal preference. He'd be better off rigging up a couple of sprinkler heads in the garage, instead of spending that money on drywall.

blitz
12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
I probably should have input that the garage above is triple.

In floor heating along with full heating controls. Walking into a 19 degree C garage is a pretty nice feature. And the epoxy coating is supposed to be super great for cleaning. Plus it has a drainage system at the base of each door. oh the joys.

Come on man. That's 2 post bragging about your garage without helping out the Op at all. :rofl:

colinxx235
12-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by blitz

Come on man. That's 2 post bragging about your garage without helping out the Op at all. :rofl:

I helped... I gave him a visual idea of what he should do and how amazing it is :rofl:

Zorac
12-05-2012, 07:48 PM
instead of drywall, using 3/8th sheeting is an option. a little more durable, and easier to work with over drywall.

sillysod
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Only reason I suggested not boarding is for some reason I got the impression that "Tee-Fong" :D is trying to save money.

I went the infloor, nice boarded route too with mine, but a lot of my detached neighbours just wanted something as cheap as possible.

tfong
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Money saving isn't really an issue, im more looking to see what my expected costs would be. So I can work it into my budgets. I'd prefer getting things done right vs el cheapo route.

Tik-Tok
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
Moisture can be an issue but can be cleared out with a fan or air circulation.

It has not been too bad and we have lots of snow melting off the cars when we drive in.

Rust on cars due to salt and keeping them warm will definately happen faster if you have bare metal on a car or rust already. That is just the science of it. For me its worth having a warm car every morning. If the paint is good it shoudlnt be an issue. Most people with expensive cars dont keep them outside.

:werd:

My garage used to be SUPER humid, every time I worked on my cars I'd sweat my bag off. It wasn't until this year that I realized the problem... the idiots who re-shingled the roof last put a vent on, but never cut a hole for it in the sheating :banghead: . Ahh well, all fixed now and you can feel the difference.

I also like having my cars warm in the winter. As said, it definitely does cause rust quicker, but if you take care of your cars, it should be a problem. Also I have a LOT of fluids/chemicals/paint in the garage that I would have to keep in the house if I didn't want them to freeze in an unheated garage.

codetrap
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I guess I'm lucky, my garage came drywalled and insulated. All I did to keep it "warm" is put a radiant heater on the wall. Costs about $6/month to run it and it keeps the garage at 10C.. I don't worry about the moisture buildup because my wife is in and out of there twice a day changing the air when she opens up the big door.