PDA

View Full Version : Replaced tire from pothole

slohc
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Ran over a pothole earlier this morning, it punctured two holes on the side wall. Had to replace my tire. Can I report this to the city?

Kloubek
12-05-2012, 10:27 PM
You can. They pay out exceptionally low amounts of such claims though.

Take pictures and provide proof if you want any chance whatsoever.

revelations
12-05-2012, 10:34 PM
From my recollection, you will have to send pics of the offending pot hole as well.

G-ZUS
12-05-2012, 11:12 PM
They will tell you to get bent pretty much. Happened to me a couple years back

artieg30
12-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
They will tell you to get bent pretty much. Happened to me a couple years back

werd, had a similar issue where i hit a milled section of the road from deerfoot nb up to airport trail and basically city + carmacks (the contractor managing the roads) told me to get bent.

DEATH2000
12-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by artieg30

werd, had a similar issue where i hit a milled section of the road from deerfoot nb up to airport trail and basically city + carmacks (the contractor managing the roads) told me to get bent.
Gotta love the acountability in this city eh.

TheStigz
12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Werd,

I drove over a uncovered sewer manhole, and bent a rim.

No one was working in the hole, so get bent was basically the anwser. :dunno:

FraserB
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by TheStigz
Werd,

I drove over a uncovered sewer manhole, and bent a rim.

No one was working in the hole, so get bent was basically the anwser. :dunno:

So you managed to drive over a 24"+ hole in the road without getting stuck and only bent a rim?

austic
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
City is terrible, hit a chunk of missing pavement with no sign. took pictures sent to city. They told me get bent in a nice letter.

DeleriousZ
12-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Yup, sucks balls. BUT, look at it this way:

If they DID replace wheels/tires, I'm sure people would probably try and use that to get replacement wheels/tires by seeking out roads in poor condition and repeatedly running them to break something and get free handouts.

"I busted an oil pan in my lowered car on the road crown on barlow and 50th se, the city owes me a new engine"

artieg30
12-06-2012, 02:22 PM
don't mean to hijack this thread, but do you guys think there is a possibility to damage the unibody or subframe if you hit those potholes/milled roads hard/fast enough?

Maxx Mazda
12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
I had two bent rims once, and the contractor (BRT Construction) ended up buying me two new rims. Had it been the city itself, I'm sure I'd have been fucked.

Kloubek
12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
don't mean to hijack this thread, but do you guys think there is a possibility to damage the unibody or subframe if you hit those potholes/milled roads hard/fast enough?

Doubt it. Your suspension/tire/rim would absorb the vast majority of the impact. Most likely the first thing past that would be putting the tire through part of the fender before it messed with your frame.

FraserB
12-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd say that in cases of damage, the owner bears part of the responsibility as well. Not just the city/contractor.

TheStigz
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

So you managed to drive over a 24"+ hole in the road without getting stuck and only bent a rim?

Nope.. skipped right over it.

Masked Bandit
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Here's some "insult to injury", try and report this shit to your insurance company and it's clasified as an at-fault claim = rate increase!

Redlyne_mr2
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I can hook beyonders up with a tire and rim warranty program if anyone is ever interested. It's cheap and covers any type of wheel/tires. I have both my modded cars covered.

90_Shelby
12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Another option would be to call 311, report it and have it filled. The city is great at responding to pot holes when they are reported. With that being said, there are no potholes within a 3 mile radius of my house. :D

HO2S
12-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Yes it can happen,
I've had cars come in that have hit curbs, holes, milled ridges that will have bent rims, control arm's, knuckles, and sub frames. Every now and then you will get a weird one when everything will be straight except the sub frame.
Every tire manufacture has a road hazard warranty that you can buy when you purchase the tires. Don't quote me on this but I think it's about the cost of one tire.

Cos
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM

benz_890
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Cos
City garbage truck backed into my car. Said it wasnt their problem. Told me to get bent and/or see them in court. Took it to our corporate lawyer for an opinion and that is what he told me.

:dunno:

JZS_147
12-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I hit a big one on Blackfoot one night with my old JP Celsior.. those cocksuckers also turned off the street lights in that section of blackfoot so I couldn't see the stupid thing. Ended up bending 2 wheels and popping one of my front air struts. Tried to get something out of them for a good month, got nothing.

Doubt you'll get anything out of them, but I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you get compensated somehow.

Cos
12-08-2012, 12:48 AM

jdmakkord
12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Had a cop car back into my old car when it was parked. File a claim with the city and my insurance, the city's insurance covered all of the damage. Not sure if they have a different policy than roadworks but that may be a solution.

Chantastic
12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I can hook beyonders up with a tire and rim warranty program if anyone is ever interested. It's cheap and covers any type of wheel/tires. I have both my modded cars covered.

Details!

DEATH2000
12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Cos
City garbage truck backed into my car. Said it wasnt their problem. Told me to get bent and/or see them in court. Took it to our corporate lawyer for an opinion and that is what he told me.
What a douche. Its the drivers fault your car got hit, and they want to say their not responsible? Bullshit.

That just happened to a co-worker of mine too. He lives in Chestermere though. A garbage truck hit the fender of his car. The driver was nice enough to leave a note for him. Current damage estimate is $4,000.

benz_890
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Is your head up where you are from?

No, just wondering what your corporate lawyer told you. Did he/she also tell you to get bent and/or see them in court?:confused:

That's :bullshit: though. One of their employees hits your car but it's not their probelm :whipped:

Cos
12-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Masked Bandit
12-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Sorry Benz, I thought you were saying what is the problem? Lol

My parking spot was right next to the garbage shed in my apartment building. I have seen them cut it close many times and always worried about getting hit.

I watched them hit my car one day, called the city, they said to send it picutres, estimates, etc. I did. Got a letter back saying sorry about your car, you are responsible to park it in a safe place not near the garbage shed. If I have futher concerns I am welcome to take legal action. They also sited the bylaw that I supposedly broke by parking too close to a garbage enclosure, even though that was my assigned spot.

Corporate lawyer told me I could take it to small claims but chances of me winning were very low so I just gave.

How long ago was that? You were straight up bullied by the COC and your lawyer doesn't know what he's talking about. File a claim through your insurance, they would get the COC to pay. Done.

Ham Samich
02-02-2013, 02:22 AM
We nee moar lemon pledge ..

Cos
02-02-2013, 10:18 AM