PDA

View Full Version : CAD/Mech Technologist career advice

DeleriousZ
12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey all, just looking for a bit of direction/advice.

A bit about my background first:

Went to SAIT for mechanical technology, did pretty well i guess. Got about 3.5 years of experience being a CAD Tech now, mostly on the job training vs schooling, the sait course only had about 8 weeks of CAD in the type of work I'm doing now (solidworks). Most of my experience is in oilfield work, but some of it was reverse 'engineering' turbo's, which was cool, but didn't pay the bills. I'm 27 now, and definitely don't feel like I'm getting any younger lol.

I make decent money for what I'm doing nowadays, but it's boring as shit, and I am getting very fed up with sitting at a desk all day, every day. I'm not sure finding a different job in the same field would help the situation much. The work is pretty similar from what I've seen company to company.

I'm good at what I do, I feel pretty capable, especially for my length of experience, but I don't have an amazing work ethic if I don't feel properly motivated. I find I have a hard time engaging myself in what I'm doing unless I find it interesting, but i'd imagine most people are like that. I feel that i'm quite mechanically inclined as well, I love working on the collection of crappy cars and doing hobbyist fabrication.

That being said, I feel that a change is more than overdue for me. I'd love to do something that's a combination of sitting and standing, involves something mechanical (something with smaller parts, no more of this large oilfield shit), but still makes use of my current experience and abilities. I definitely don't mind taking a bit of a pay cut to be happy, the people and the work are more important than the money anyway. I enjoy working with measurement tools as well, I did a lot of work with micrometers and a CMM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate-measuring_machine) at my turbo job. I also don't mind monotonous work, as long as it's busy or engaging to the point where the day passes quickly or the work is at least a little interesting.

Basically, I'm wondering what else is out there for someone with my skill set, or similar to my skill set. I'd LOVE to get into something where I'm doing custom work, R&D, or anything that involves fabrication, automotive or otherwise.

Thanks!

SJW
12-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I've been an R&D Mech. Technologist for 13 years.

I like it. There are tons of jobs out there right now for a mech. designer.

DeleriousZ
12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
How did you first get into R&D SJW? Was there a course you took or just got on with a company that was doing it?

ercchry
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
i love doing R&D... but over here it always gets put on the back burner when we have actual projects to do... which is always :(

you sound similar to how i am feeling too... i think i need something that combines design with sales and site visits...