PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated left turn question...

e.widling
12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I was approaching Elbow Drive from Anderson west (coming down from 14th street) and wanted to turn left onto Elbow Drive. As I approach the intersection I get into the dedicated left turn lane and as I get closer the green flashing arrow to turn left turns yellow. So I slow down and assume that it goes to a solid green (hence the "yield on solid green" sign posted above). I'm now in the middle of the intersection expecting this solid green as opposing traffic starts to move. But no... I get a double red light. WTF. Having never taken this exit I thought maybe it's an exception and there is no solid green. So I move back out of the intersection, wait 15 seconds, then I get the solid green. Who the hell designed this? Am I crazy or does that make no sense at all.

TL;DR Why are there dedicated turn signals that go from flashing green arrow -> red -> then solid green again.

Khyron
12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
There was one like this at Ogden road and Glenmore. The south and north would both get advance, then the southbound traffic would get a red light on the turn while the other side got to go, then it would go solid/yield. They have removed it in the last month or so.

But if you want one side to have a longer turn time than the other side, you have no choice but to put the short side back to red. Solid green means go forward - can't risk the straight forward drivers seeing a solid green and moving out of reflex. We know not to move forward on flashing green arrows so that's ok. There is no safe signal to say "Left guys can yield if it's safe but forward traffic cannot go at all".

e.widling
12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Yah I get what you mean but it seems like it causes more confusion. At least for those turning it does.

phil98z24
12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
It is designed this way bcause by law you aren't supposed to enter the intersection until it's safe to proceed. Traffic controls are designed based on legal and technical requirements, because while it would make sense to design them based on what everyone does, it can't be designed in a way that encourages people to break a law.

ExtraSlow
12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Once you are in the intersection, you should proceed through it as soon as it's safe. Should've completed your turn.

SOAB
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
actually, i believe this happens anywhere there is a dedicated light for the turning lane(s). i rarely see it turn back to a solid green though.

if the advance arrow is incorporated with the lights that control straight through traffic, it would turn to the solid green.

firebane
12-07-2012, 12:18 AM
You want to see a goofy stop? I almost damn near rear ended someone here until I saw the sign! And even then it made no sense till I realized you have to stop for a transit left hand in front of you..

Thinking it should be a "Yield to oncoming Transit" sign there.

http://goo.gl/maps/ORHES