PDA

View Full Version : Reversible lanes

speedog
12-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Reversible lanes - they're in a variety of locations in the city with the oldest probably being on Centre Street North.

The question I have is how do people use them and more specifically, if you are SB on Centre Street in the PM rush hour, should you make a left hand turn at 20th Avenue from the left (2nd) lane. The Alberta Driver's handbook states you shouldn't be in that lane at that time due to the red X's being displayed above the lane, but I regularly will go right up to 20th Avenue and make a left hand turn - have even done it with CPS being in the RH (first) lane.

Haven't given this a second thought until today when I happened to be NB in the left (2nd) lane (through lane in PM rush hour with 3rd NB lane being a dedicated turn lane at 20th Avenue) - what surprised me today was a truck going straight through at 20th in the 3rd NB lane and making a LH turn at either 22nd or 23rd Avenue. Certainly there are red X's in both directions in that lane from 23rd to 20th Avenue meaning no one should be traveling in it, but the switchable sign at 20th Avenue for that 3rd NB lane is for a right hand turn only at 20th Avenue.

So this driver's actions certainly have me rethinking what I should be doing at during the PM rush hour when going SB and as such, what do other Beyonders do in that area when going in either direction? Certainly it would appear that I am breaking the law when continuing SB in the 2nd lane to make a LH turn at 20th Avenue and I have never seen anyone ticketed, but that guy today sailing straight through in the 3rd NB lane at 20th certainly woke me up as to the potential for a fairly serious accident.

M.alex
12-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Red X means do not use.

Next thread - Do I have to stop for red lights?

speedog
12-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Can we assume that you never drive in a red X'ed lane then?

EK69
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I dont use that road often, but when I do I don't drive in the lanes marked with a red x :dunno:

Does it fuck over southbound traffic flow when someone is wanting to turn left but isn't able to due to oncoming northbound traffic?

Zero102
12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Reversible lanes - they're in a variety of locations in the city with the oldest probably being on Centre Street North.

The question I have is how do people use them and more specifically, if you are SB on Centre Street in the PM rush hour, should you make a left hand turn at 20th Avenue from the left (2nd) lane. The Alberta Driver's handbook states you shouldn't be in that lane at that time due to the red X's being displayed above the lane, but I regularly will go right up to 20th Avenue and make a left hand turn - have even done it with CPS being in the RH (first) lane.

Haven't given this a second thought until today when I happened to be NB in the left (2nd) lane (through lane in PM rush hour with 3rd NB lane being a dedicated turn lane at 20th Avenue) - what surprised me today was a truck going straight through at 20th in the 3rd NB lane and making a LH turn at either 22nd or 23rd Avenue. Certainly there are red X's in both directions in that lane from 23rd to 20th Avenue meaning no one should be traveling in it, but the switchable sign at 20th Avenue for that 3rd NB lane is for a right hand turn only at 20th Avenue.

So this driver's actions certainly have me rethinking what I should be doing at during the PM rush hour when going SB and as such, what do other Beyonders do in that area when going in either direction? Certainly it would appear that I am breaking the law when continuing SB in the 2nd lane to make a LH turn at 20th Avenue and I have never seen anyone ticketed, but that guy today sailing straight through in the 3rd NB lane at 20th certainly woke me up as to the potential for a fairly serious accident.

Switchable sign for the 3rd northbound land as a right hand turn only? It is for left turns only, making a right turn from the 3rd lane would be nuts :nut:

Also, northbound traffic in that lane has a must turn left sign, proceeding straight through on a must turn left sign is illegal and that driver should be ticketed.

Proceeding in a lane marked with a red X is technically illegal, to be 100% within the law you should make left turns from southbound centre st during lane reversal hours from the far right lane as it is the only lane permitted for travel. That said, I regularly use the X lane for left hand turns, I consider it a courtesy for other drivers - I am improving traffic flow southbound and helping keep idiot northbound drivers from proceeding straight through a must turn left sign. I have never had so much as a close call since when northbound traffic sees a car in the lane they generally pull their head out of their ass and realize that they can no longer travel in that lane.

jaylo
12-07-2012, 09:47 AM
There is a overhead sign around 21 Avenue signalling you that the Lane Reversal is coming up.

They should really place a no left turn during rush hour on this intersection because it really screws up the southbound traffic

It is not that hard to turn left on 21 Avenue as to risking getting into an accident at that intersection

speedog
12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
There is a overhead sign around 21 Avenue signalling you that the Lane Reversal is coming up.

They should really place a no left turn during rush hour on this intersection because it really screws up the southbound traffic

It is not that hard to turn left on 21 Avenue as to risking getting into an accident at that intersection
Got to agree with you and I do LH turns SB in the PM in the 2nd lane as a courtesy to SB traffic just likeZero102, but that guy that blew through the intersection NB in the 3rd lane certainly is making me rethink things a bit.

M.alex
12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Can we assume that you never drive in a red X'ed lane then?

That is correct. In whitey land red X means !NO! (insert comment about Beyonds seeing me driving on the shoulder of Deerfoot to stop passed traffic here :rofl: )