PDA

View Full Version : CAPPA level 1 challenge exam

bob9979
12-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Is is possible to do the level 1 challenge exam by just reviewing the material provided while I do not have any O&G background knowledge? many people say it is super easy.

Just wanna save some money, any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have a bachelor degree of accounting.

Orbie
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I would probably try some sample tests as well so you generally know what the exam will be like, but otherwise yes you should definitely be able to. I challenged it many years back just for supplemental information (not a PA but I work with them everyday) doing exactly as you described without any issues. If you are good with memorization type study habits it will be easy. I had several years of O&G experience before I challenged so that likely made it easier, but I wouldn't consider it hard by any stretch if you are somewhat prepared.

Are you going for Production Accounting? The level 1 material is dry but once you get to the next few levels (2,3,4,5) it gets more and more practical. Once you get going you can challenge them all similarly to get your CAPPA Cert.

austic
12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I would assume you could, I read the chapter summaries and wrote the test but I had a few years of oil and gas experience. CAPPA is pretty easy.

woodywoodford
12-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Anybody do this while working full time? It seems like something I might be interested in but I have no interest in going back to school for anything less than an mba, if even that.

Orbie
12-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Yes I challenged while working full time, you have to section out some time to study but otherwise very doable. Nothing even remotely in the same league as doing an MBA while working.

silvercivicsir
12-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Pretty useless, no company will hire you with just a Cappa Certificate. however since you have a accounting degree, I would get a accounting designation instead..

bob9979
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
thanks for all the helpful info, beyonders are so cool!

I passed the level 1 already, its super easy, I just read the materials once and do the sample test, got 85% with no problem.

Bad thing is I'm still looking for an entry level position, been firing resumes all the time but still getting no luck...