PDA

View Full Version : new tool store!!!!!!!!!! kms

AndyL
12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
So... speakeasy gone...

Replaced by tool store!!!

KMS tools - https://www.kmstools.com/

Im told I have to go drool ;)

(if you drop something... leave it on the floor... that's all I'm gonna say about that)

firebane
12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
holy crap! KMS is a great store. :eek:

Tik-Tok
12-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
So... speakeasy gone...

Replaced by tool store!!!

KMS tools - https://www.kmstools.com/

Im told I have to go drool ;)

(if you drop something... leave it on the floor... that's all I'm gonna say about that)

Peelers is still there, KMS is where a high end kitchen place used to be, on the side of it.

So once you're done drooling at the tools, you can go to the Risque Rouge (Speakeasy's new name), and go drool at some strippers.

TomcoPDR
12-07-2012, 11:32 PM
What's it about? It is a one-level up from Princess Auto... the next House of Tools type of spinoff?

boarderfatty
12-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
What's it about? It is a one-level up from Princess Auto... the next House of Tools type of spinoff?

I would say they carry mid to high end tools, they carry a bunch of brands, wont find snap on or mac or anything but some decent stuff. I picked my 1/2" Ingersol Rand 2135TImax impact there for $150 which retails for quite a bit more. Also picked up my Milwalkee chordless impacts from there as well. carry a bunch of Gear Wrench stuff. I would highly suggest checking it out. My only gripe with them is they can be sort of a pain when it comes to honoring warranty. I usually have to go strait to the manufacturer for it. I also quite like the Wera screwdrivers they carry, as they are the company that Snap On sources to make their screwdrivers.

HO2S
12-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
I also quite like the Wera screwdrivers they carry, as they are the company that Snap On sources to make their screwdrivers.

Anything that says snap-on on it, snap-on built it. If it says blue point on it it's built by some one else like Wera.

89s1
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by HO2S

Anything that says snap-on on it, snap-on built it.

Can you definitively prove this?

Rat Fink
12-08-2012, 11:27 AM

AndyL
12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Looking through the flyers... Looks similar to house of fools... They have the higher end, the chinese junk, but then they've also got automotive (seems to be both expensive and cheap stuff).

Kinda like PA but with good junk mixed in :)

boarderfatty
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Except for the Costco snap-on shit....Yes.

Here is a thread showing that Cendai in Taiwan has the patent on the gearing for ratchet wrenches and they provide the gearing for Gearwrench, Snap-On, Blue Point and Craftsman

Here is he garage journal forum

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11540

Here is shipping info showing the last shipment from Cendai to Snap On on Dec 3 2012

http://www.importgenius.com/suppliers/cendai-industrial-co-ltd

Doing more research, Wera doesn't make snap on screw drivers, both companies have their laser cut tips done at the same place

zhulander
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Ingersol Rand 2135TImax impact there for $150

Is this still available at this price?

boarderfatty
12-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by zhulander

Is this still available at this price?

I bought it over a year ago at the Edmonton location, I have seen it go on sale a couple times since then, so I would just watch the flyers

ExtraSlow
12-08-2012, 02:04 PM
My only gripe with them is they can be sort of a pain when it comes to honoring warranty. I usually have to go strait to the manufacturer for it. This is one thing that Princess Auto is great for. they honour the warranty in-store with no hassles.

anomaly2
12-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Might be off topic, but lots of Snap On, Mac tools are made in China
the original stuff used to be made in USA.

Tik-Tok
12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Snap on is made in USA(using Chinese scrap metal) Snap on bluepoint is made in china.

VW337
12-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Went to the grand opening of KMS tools last week and was a little disappointed at their inventory of certain items. The automotive section was quite bare and only had a few items on the wall. Hopefully they are still receiving inventory and planning on filling up some of these sections. Like stated above they do carry a wide range of tools from the "one-time use only" to the mid and higher range tools.

sillysod
12-08-2012, 06:58 PM

I also quite like the Wera screwdrivers they carry, as they are the company that Snap On sources to make their screwdrivers.

Wera, Weidmuller and Phoenix Contact are all made in Germany and used mostly by control electricians. They are amazing terminating screwdrivers and the only ones that the tips don't snap off of easily.

Just like Klein makes the best linemans, phillips and big flat-heads, Robertson makes the best square ones, Wera/PC/Weidmuller are the best for precision screwdrivers.

Snap on / MAC screwdrivers suck. They make wrenches though that nobody can touch IMO.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I have a ton of snap on tools made by other companies, sometimes you can tell simply by googling the snap on part number.

HO2S
12-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Here is a thread showing that Cendai in Taiwan has the patent on the gearing for ratchet wrenches and they provide the gearing for Gearwrench, Snap-On, Blue Point and Craftsman

Here is he garage journal forum

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11540

Here is shipping info showing the last shipment from Cendai to Snap On on Dec 3 2012

http://www.importgenius.com/suppliers/cendai-industrial-co-ltd

Doing more research, Wera doesn't make snap on screw drivers, both companies have their laser cut tips done at the same place

If you go to snap on's web site and look at there screw drivers they say right on the page made in the USA. Im talking real snap on tools bought from a dealer, not the garbage at Costco. Snap on sells a lot of different brands and owns a lot of brands.
Snap on finance owns my sole, out of all of there tools that I own not a single one says made in china.
Their claim to fame is made in the USA, That's why a 1/2'' ratchet from Princess Auto is $40 and the snap on one is $200.
All ask my dealer on Wednesday about it.

thrasher22
12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Rad!! I'm going to have to head down in the next couple days and see what they have for metal working tools. That's one thing I always struggle to find anything for in town without going out of the "hobbyist" budget.

legendboy
12-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Wera, Weidmuller and Phoenix Contact are all made in Germany and used mostly by control electricians. They are amazing terminating screwdrivers and the only ones that the tips don't snap off of easily.

these would be for screw terminals?

i have been using a weidmuller break out board and 2 phoenix contact subd terminal screw boards alot the last year

fuck if i have a screwdriver that is easy to tighten and loosen the screw terminals on the small phoenix boards

kms is basically a cross between house of tools and busybee

Sentry
12-08-2012, 10:04 PM

If you go to snap on's web site and look at there screw drivers they say right on the page made in the USA. Im talking real snap on tools bought from a dealer, not the garbage at Costco. Snap on sells a lot of different brands and owns a lot of brands.
Snap on finance owns my sole, out of all of there tools that I own not a single one says made in china.
Their claim to fame is made in the USA, That's why a 1/2'' ratchet from Princess Auto is $40 and the snap on one is $200.
All ask my dealer on Wednesday about it.
Word. Nothing beats a real quality tool.

I own a lot of cheap shit, they get the job done, but with something snap on in my hand, mmm.

sillysod
12-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

these would be for screw terminals?

i have been using a weidmuller break out board and 2 phoenix contact subd terminal screw boards alot the last year

fuck if i have a screwdriver that is easy to tighten and loosen the screw terminals on the small phoenix boards

kms is basically a cross between house of tools and busybee

yeah, you really need to get terminating screwdrivers to work with any of those terminals.

B&E, MRO and Brews all sell one brand or another too. Wera is good but it is the cheapest of the lot. I know most guys use Weidmuller, but my personal fave is the Phoneix Contact ones.

HO2S
12-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

Word. Nothing beats a real quality tool.

I own a lot of cheap shit, they get the job done, but with something snap on in my hand, mmm.

Back many years ago when I was apprentice I had a lot of princess auto and Canadian tire tools. I would break them constantly and or they would screw me over. I found princess auto started to not honor their warranty so I just stopped buying from there. I bought better quality tools that don't break as much and when they do, they will get warrantied.
I have snap on screw drivers that are over ten years old that get used every day and still don't strip heads. Granted I paid $160 for 6 of them.

speedog
12-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Just like Klein makes the best linemans, phillips and big flat-heads, Robertson makes the best square ones, Wera/PC/Weidmuller are the best for precision screwdrivers.

Snap on / MAC screwdrivers suck. They make wrenches though that nobody can touch IMO.
Wasn't Robertson a type of screw developed in Canada and not a tool brand? - link (http://www.robertsonscrew.com/index.html).

Tik-Tok
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Wasn't Robertson a type of screw developed in Canada and not a tool brand? - link (http://www.robertsonscrew.com/index.html).

Robertson makes good robertsons, lol.

autosm
12-08-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/HandTools/ScrewdriverSets/PRDOVR~0573669P/Mastercraft+Maximum+8+piece+Diamond+Driver.jsp?locale=en

This set on sale cost me less than one of my snap on screwdrivers. IMHO they are just as good for a fraction of the price.

TomcoPDR
12-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Back many years ago when I was apprentice I had a lot of princess auto and Canadian tire tools. I would break them constantly and or they would screw me over. I found princess auto started to not honor their warranty so I just stopped buying from there. I bought better quality tools that don't break as much and when they do, they will get warrantied.
I have snap on screw drivers that are over ten years old that get used every day and still don't strip heads. Granted I paid $160 for 6 of them.

I USED to like Princess Auto, and their "no sales is final until you're satisfied" used to get honored all the time until recently they wouldn't fix their pos $1000 pressure washer I got from em 3 years ago.

Maxt
12-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I pretty much use Klein exclusively in my tool pack, I lose them before I ever wear them out.. The only thing of theirs that I have that sucks is their tool pouch backpack.. Its freakin terrible design if you carry heavy wrenches..
KMS is a good outlet for Miller stuff.. I have a few of their "hotrod" tools, like joint jigger etc, they are ok, but not for commercial use.

sillysod
12-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Robertson makes good robertsons, lol.

Originally posted by speedog

Go under products on your link...

Robertson Inc. did develop the screwlox screw, but they also make the screwdriver. Until a few years ago they looked like this:

http://www.mcneilldiy.co.uk/images/user/190112170906.jpg

They have changed the look, but the tips are still the best ones you can get on a square style screwdriver.

Robertson Inc. (http://www.robertsonscrew.com/products.html)

Sentry
12-09-2012, 11:03 AM

I buy the cheap shit first and when it breaks I warranty it and take it home. Then buy the Snap-on version for work.

HO2S
12-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I somehow remembered to ask my dealer about the origins of snap on tools today.

What He said is almost everything that says snap on, on it is made in Canada, USA, or Mexico. The only thing that he could think of that was made in China is their memory savers. All heritage tools (sockets, drivers, wrenches, screw drivers, boxes, extensions, etc ) are all made in north america plain and simple.

Blue point is made in China, but snap on owns the factory so they can control the quality.

The snap on tools that you can buy at Costco are not actually snap on. A bunch of years ago they wanted to get into the diy market. Snap on sold their franchise name rights to a other tool maker. Apparently this decision has been greatly regretted. The contract is up for renewal in 2014, snap on will not be renewing it. If you have Costco tools you cannot go to a actual dealer to warranty them because snap on does not view them as their tools.

So yes, snap on makes their own screw drivers in north america.