PDA

View Full Version : Fido or Koodoo Unlimted?

Ven
12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm going to take advantage of the Unlimited deals offered by Fido and Koodoo. The packages look about the same for features. What are the advantages of one over the other?

EDIT: And can I use my own phone with these offers? Not impressed with the phones they sell.

EK69
12-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Fido charges $10/gb overage on data. Look at koodos fine print.
Otherwise I think they are the same.
Virgin mobile also has something like it I think ?

Fido uses Rogers network, koodo uses telus/bell

speedog
12-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by EK69
Fido charges $10/gb overage on data. Look at koodos fine print.
Otherwise I think they are the same.
Virgin mobile also has something like it I think ?

Fido uses Rogers network, koodo uses telus/bell
Ummm, Fido is Rogers (owned by Rogers) and Koodo is TELUS (owned by TELUS). Where Koodo(TELUS) doesn't have their network built out, they piggyback/roamed on Bell's network or at least it used to work that way when I was under the employ of TELUS.

speedog
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM
A pretty good Wikipedia article (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies)) that talks about all of the various Canadian cell provides/resellers/whatever.

EK69
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Ummm, Fido is Rogers (owned by Rogers) and Koodo is TELUS (owned by TELUS). Where Koodo(TELUS) doesn't have their network built out, they piggyback/roamed on Bell's network or at least it used to work that way when I was under the employ of TELUS.
:confused:
Yes I know Rogers owns fido. And that telus owns koodo. And telus/bell share towers. And virgin mobile uses them also. My point was that they are two separate networks, but I'm sorry I don't see your point... :dunno:

The overages are something I would use to decide first. If koodo charges more, why go with them? (note i have no read koodo or virgin mobiles fine print)Since OP said neither carriers phones interested the OP...and yes u can use ur unlocked phone with either carrier

baygirl
12-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by speedog
A pretty good Wikipedia article (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies)) that talks about all of the various Canadian cell provides/resellers/whatever.

FYI Spikers here.

You didn't work long at TELUS did you?

GoChris
12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

FYI Spikers here.

:rofl:

speedog
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

FYI Spikers here.

I dunno, is 26.5 years a long time?

shakalaka
12-08-2012, 11:35 PM
:rofl:

spikerS
12-09-2012, 12:29 AM
If TELUS owns Koodo, why would it need it's own network built out, when it uses the exact same technology Telus uses, and then pay royalties to Bell to use theirs?

If you are saying that Koodo's network is not built up, than neither is telus.

imhungry
12-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Right now Fido's unlimited plan is $56 vs. Koodo's same plan for $57 LOL. Go Fido?

But the $1 savings aside, Fido's package also gives you 2,500 call forward minutes and Visual VM (iPhones). I don't believe Koodo's VM will be visual.

Ven
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Went with Fido:

1. Their small print was easier to live with.

2. They have better included features.

3. They had a phone that met my requirements.

4. They're not Telus. Fuck Telus.

5. Dollar a month cheaper.

doomdealer
12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I was in a similar boat a week ago, having to pick between Fido (Rogers) or Koodo (Telus).

The choice for me was largely determined by the phone I am currently using: a non-LTE phone with DC-HSPA+

Telus' network has advertised DC-HSPA+ support. Rogers' network does not (although there appears to be some Rogers towers supporting DC-HSPA+ in Toronto area, but there's no official word on support in Calgary).

As a test, I ran Speedtests with my phone on my Koodo account and on my friend's Rogers account. The results were:

- ~15Mbps on Koodo

- ~4Mbps on Rogers

The choice seemed pretty clear at that point.

If I had an LTE phone though, I would have gone with Fido.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when I swapped to Koodo, I also bought a Samsung Galaxy S2X off them and received the $100 gift card credit. I then ended up selling the S2X for a small profit, so that helped offset the cost a bit as well.

Sdeibert
12-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Koodo and Virgin have dropped to 56 to match... Annoying since I have to call back in to save the $1.

No call forwarding tho.. or visual VM, which is gay anyways since you have to go into your voicemail to clear out the indicator.

doomdealer
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Sdeibert
Koodo and Virgin have dropped to 56 to match... Annoying since I have to call back in to save the $1.

Not sure about Virgin, but for Koodo the new $56 is automatically applied to the account without any need for calling in.

They sent me a text message about it and I confirmed the new $56 price on my online account page.