PDA

View Full Version : What is the best potable GPS for car?

automachine
12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Guys, plan to buy GPS and no idea which is good for me.
I will mostly use it in North America so please share information what kind of GPS you guys are using and it is good or not.
My budge is up to $200.

Thank you in advance.

eblend
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
There are a ton of GPSs for sale nowadays. I prefer the Garmin interface that my parents have, but I bought a Magellan myself. I find Garmin to be the best personally, but they all have a bunch of different sizes and features. There are a ton of comparison online on what is good ect. Some have extra features like hands free calling, free map updates, picture viewers, traffic reports (some don't work in Calgary). I like the ones that have a speed indicator as well which knows the posted speed limit and warns you when you go too much over.

I see a ton of good Garmin ones for sale at Visions all the time. Some of them are refurbs, but for $200 you should be able to get pretty much a top of the line unit, especially if you buy around Christmas. I heard that some of the recent Garmin units are not that good as they changed their software, so don't know, the unit my parents have is like 8 years old.

chowd3r
12-09-2012, 08:16 PM
What is the best potable GPS for car?

I'd advise against trying to drink your GPS unit.

Darell_n
12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Garmin is the only way to go. The rest are all mickey-mouse in comparison and don't have near the online support that Garmin does.

rx7boi
12-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I saw this thread and thought of:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7508/jeopardybigboard3.jpg

boarderfatty
12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I have a Garmin unit and was very happy with its features and user interface. Tom Tom wasn't bad either, but the main reason I went for the Garmin was the fact I worked in the oil field and the OIL TRACKS program worked with it which was handy for finding LSD's instead of having to use an actual map

Maybelater
12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
It doesn't need to be a potable, that is just a marketing tactic. You'll be fine with the stuff that comes out of the stream.

spikerS
12-10-2012, 09:10 AM
use your smartphone. especially if you have an android based phone. they are usually just as good, if not better, than a stand alone unit.

SpeedIllusion
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by spikers
use your smartphone. especially if you have an android based phone. they are usually just as good, if not better, than a stand alone unit.

^This, because Google Navigation is really well done

Otherwise I've used Garmin and they are pretty good

98type_r
12-10-2012, 12:09 PM
We have a 6 or 8 year old Garmin and I still prefer using it over my iPhone, just waiting for the right opportunity to jump ship and switch to Android.

automachine
12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
well startphone is good too but it is too small to look at it during the drvie (I have iphone 4). most people here mentioned garmin so I will check it out that and hope some big sale on garmin in boxing day lol.
Thanks a lot boys and cheers.

Recca168
12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by automachine
well startphone is good too but it is too small to look at it during the drvie (I have iphone 4). most people here mentioned garmin so I will check it out that and hope some big sale on garmin in boxing day lol.
Thanks a lot boys and cheers.

I tablet would be big enough though. How about a nexus 7 with "Google maps" or "Waze"? They're down to $209 now for the 16gig