PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza by the slice?

JordanLotoski
12-09-2012, 11:40 PM
I dont remember the last time I had Pizza by the slice, Just curious whos the best in town for a quick slice of pizza?

lasimmon
12-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I really like Poco Loco which is on 4th ave between 4th and 5th st...

But it may just be a guilty pleasure... and maybe not that great...

jmaaa
12-09-2012, 11:58 PM
I like seniores in beddington area.

G-ZUS
12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
I like CPU on Memorial and 52 but thats cause Ive never had it anywhere else. By the slice is good but if you order a pizza

trieuth
12-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by jmaaa
I like seniores in beddington area.

:werd:

ercchry
12-10-2012, 01:20 AM
what style of pizza? by the slice is normally not the best.... unless you have a couple drinks in ya :rofl:

black13
12-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
what style of pizza? by the slice is normally not the best.... unless you have a couple drinks in ya :rofl:

lol yea pretty much. That's why I'll buy CPU pizza only if I've had a few drinks as its greasy.

Although there is shwarma place on 7 ave right where the train comes from the NW and turns on 7. Got a blue sign, shady looking place but decent slice. Similar to CPU but doesn't have the bad after taste.

Benny
12-10-2012, 02:54 AM

This isn't necessarily true. When I was in Vancouver last I was blown away by how you could get really good pizza by the slice at a bunch of places downtown. Edmonton has a few gooders as well. Calgary is just kind of lacking in this department. Generally I'd say Seniore's is the best but you can kinda only get there via driving, so that's out when a couple drinks have been consumed. CPU in Kensington is pretty good, but I find the other CPU locations just don't got it.

Just do yourself a favour, and don't try the 7/11 pizza. :barf:

C_Dave45
12-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Verns

Mibz
12-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by black13

lol yea pretty much. That's why I'll buy CPU pizza only if I've had a few drinks as its greasy.

Although there is shwarma place on 7 ave right where the train comes from the NW and turns on 7. Got a blue sign, shady looking place but decent slice. Similar to CPU but doesn't have the bad after taste. They also used to be CPU, or used to be something else but are CPU now. Either way, I used to go there all the time with kenny and buh_buh and get butter chicken with a drumstick on the side. Fuckin deeeeeeeeeeeerish.

dirtsniffer
12-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Vern's for sure. When I was a kid there was a place by the dq on elbow and heritage that had good by the slice. Not sure if its there anymore though.

KRyn
12-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Vern's for sure. When I was a kid there was a place by the dq on elbow and heritage that had good by the slice. Not sure if its there anymore though.

That place has changed ownership a few times over the years. I have no clue how the pizza is there these days, maybe I will stop by this weekend and report back.

ercchry
12-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Benny

This isn't necessarily true. When I was in Vancouver last I was blown away by how you could get really good pizza by the slice at a bunch of places downtown. Edmonton has a few gooders as well. Calgary is just kind of lacking in this department. Generally I'd say Seniore's is the best but you can kinda only get there via driving, so that's out when a couple drinks have been consumed. CPU in Kensington is pretty good, but I find the other CPU locations just don't got it.

Just do yourself a favour, and don't try the 7/11 pizza. :barf:

so you disagree then you agree... what help is listing other cities?! if that was the point of this thread lets just tell Jordan to hit up NYC! :nut:

max_boost
12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

so you disagree then you agree... what help is listing other cities?! if that was the point of this thread lets just tell Jordan to hit up NYC! :nut:

I think he was there earlier this year sometime? Maybe he's looking for that but in Calgary haha

But seriously can you find NYC's big, thin crust pizza slices anywhere here?

max_boost
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Like this :drool:

ercchry
12-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I think he was there earlier this year sometime? Maybe he's looking for that but in Calgary haha

But seriously can you find NYC's big, thin crust pizza slices anywhere here?

there is a few neapolitan style joints, nothing by the slice though. i would say your best late night choice for that would be una's but thats more of a higher end pizza than a street pizza... but their kitchen is open till 1am every night and they have great wine, so you can keep that buzz on :rofl:

FixedGear
12-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry folks, Calgary simply isn't a pizza city. There are a handful of places that make excellent pizza (there are at least 3 threads on this forum about this), but in general it's a terrible city for pizza.

I can't really think of any real "destinations" for pizza by the slice in Calgary. Wicked Wedge used to be quite good about 10 years ago, but then it was closed, sold to new owners, and re-opened at Chinook. The name is the only thing that stayed the same, and the pizza is completely different. Any other slice shop I can think of is just drunk food.

Sbarro is the only NYC style I can think of in the city. As ercchry mentioned, there are a few places making more or less authentic Neopolitan style pies in YYC, but this style of pizza is completely distinct from NYC style pizza (which often has sugar in the dough and other "adulterants" added to the sauce, is much larger than neopolitan pizza, and is generally cooked at a lower temp for a longer period of time).

ercchry
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
so this is all personal to me and my habits/locations... but yeah. my list (some by the slice, some not):

nice night out, or time to chill and have some wine:
una. if its too busy, without papers (also works if i wanna walk home)

good ol' greasy delivery:
inglewood pizza (they also have by the slice, but not open late)

find myself drunk and in the suburbs:
CPU (they even got one in cranston now)

drunk and in the beltline:
donair pizza from awesome kitchen (this is by the slice, if you get two you are suppose to get a free pop... but they never give it to you unless you ask)

beltline for a night on the town and forgot to eat dinner and its still early:
hop n brew (fantastic pub style pie, and great beer)

quick bit and in the area and want to be stuffed after one slice:
vern's for a by the slice t-rex

in the old hood:
three crowns in woodlands has a surprisingly good pub style pizza, dough is made in house too)

out in banff:
aardvark's

back in the day when i was young and the ally had dollar shots:
whatever the hell that place next door was called... :drool: (not recommended sober)

ducaudi
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I had Niko's Pizza yesterday, although it's not a "by the slice" pizza joint, it's quite tasty. 11th St and 14th Ave, beside Galaxie Diner.

r3ccOs
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
veronas

taemo
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
i still have to find good pizza in calgary, the problem is the dough that everyone uses.

needless to say, if I crave pizza I go to Seniores pizza, only because they are a couple of blocks from my house and their donair pizza is beyond awesome

canadian booster
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Wicked Wedge is still my fav over the rest, their pizza's are always something new and not the same ole same ole.. unique flavours and combinations, and yea they have the old standby's too, cheese, hawaiian, etc

they opened one across from western canada high when i went there, i think it's gone now, but there's one in the food court at chinook mall

:thumbsup:

RNB11
12-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Verns Pizza :drool:

FixedGear
12-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by canadian booster
Wicked Wedge is still my fav over the rest, their pizza's are always something new and not the same ole same ole.. unique flavours and combinations, and yea they have the old standby's too, cheese, hawaiian, etc

they opened one across from western canada high when i went there, i think it's gone now, but there's one in the food court at chinook mall

:thumbsup:

Same name, but different owners and different pizza.

sabad66
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
There's a place in Bridgeland right by the dentist and Starbucks that has pretty good pizza by the slice.

But for 3am drunk pizza, def Seniores.

dirtsniffer
12-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Sorry folks, Calgary simply isn't a pizza city. There are a handful of places that make excellent pizza (there are at least 3 threads on this forum about this), but in general it's a terrible city for pizza.

I can't really think of any real "destinations" for pizza by the slice in Calgary. Wicked Wedge used to be quite good about 10 years ago, but then it was closed, sold to new owners, and re-opened at Chinook. The name is the only thing that stayed the same, and the pizza is completely different. Any other slice shop I can think of is just drunk food.

Sbarro is the only NYC style I can think of in the city. As ercchry mentioned, there are a few places making more or less authentic Neopolitan style pies in YYC, but this style of pizza is completely distinct from NYC style pizza (which often has sugar in the dough and other "adulterants" added to the sauce, is much larger than neopolitan pizza, and is generally cooked at a lower temp for a longer period of time).
Non linear?

max_boost
12-10-2012, 07:20 PM
^! :eek:

This thread is making me want pizza. Might just have to hit up Pizza73 tonight and pig out. :drool: and then :barf:

Disoblige
12-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Today only MB!
Pizza Hut: 50% Off All Online Orders Coupon Code (Dec 10 Only) (http://www.calgarydealsblog.com/2012/12/pizza-hut-50-off-all-online-orders-coupon-code-dec-10-only.html)

ercchry
12-10-2012, 07:50 PM

This thread is making me want pizza. Might just have to hit up Pizza73 tonight and pig out. :drool: and then :barf:

omg... you live in cresent heights an you are going to order that shit?! :eek:

StreetRacerX
12-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Dude if your going to order pizza from a fast food chain, Papa John's is the way to go!

ercchry
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX

Dude if your going to order pizza from a fast food chain, Papa John's is the way to go!

apparently there is an american promo code that works on the canadian site... something to do with football and the highest score is the discount?

CompletelyNumb
12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Today only MB!
Pizza Hut: 50% Off All Online Orders Coupon Code (Dec 10 Only) (http://www.calgarydealsblog.com/2012/12/pizza-hut-50-off-all-online-orders-coupon-code-dec-10-only.html)

So popular the pizza hut site went down haha

black13
12-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Oh I forgot about the one across from SAIT on 16 ave, close to Lou's. Similar style to CPU but better.

I can't stand Pizza Hut though. I'd take Pizza 73 over it. And at least some 73's are open till like 2 on fri/sat.

Originally posted by Mibz
They also used to be CPU, or used to be something else but are CPU now. Either way, I used to go there all the time with kenny and buh_buh and get butter chicken with a drumstick on the side. Fuckin deeeeeeeeeeeerish.

no wonder I thought they were similar. Yea they're other indian style foods are good too. All greasy stuff but gooood.

bleu
12-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I love Pizza 73 Golden Crispy wings...:drool: ...the pizza is not the best.

I haven't had Pizza Hut in ages, but I saw they now have hotdog stuffed crust...that is disgusting.

Vogglio's is one of my faves (locally).

89s1
12-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm a fan of Flavour me Pizza.

414 8 Street SW

boarderfatty
12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Not sure about you popa johns down there, but the one up here on jasper ave is open late and sells by the slice

asp integra
12-10-2012, 11:25 PM
if you ever find yourself wandering around whyte ave in edmonton check out steel wheels

EK69
12-11-2012, 01:16 AM

apparently there is an american promo code that works on the canadian site... something to do with football and the highest score is the discount?

every monday the code is "highscore"
discount equals the highest score from sunday NFL

thats what i found via google

boarderfatty
12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by asp integra
if you ever find yourself wandering around whyte ave in edmonton check out steel wheels

On Whyte I go to Steel Wheel for the atmosphere but to Chicago Deep Dish for the Pizza, Unless I am really drunk and craving Bulgogi Pizza

flipstah
12-11-2012, 11:43 AM

omg... you live in cresent heights an you are going to order that shit?! :eek:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The best pizza I've had in Calgary was Rio Pizza on Temple. Thin crust, fully loaded... :drool:

Boat
12-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Varsity Pizza & Sub (Top's)

They have pizza by the slice around lunch time only. It's quite oily from the cheese, but its a great slice.

In JH it used to be place to go, in high school and uni my friends and I would stop there from time to time. :drool:

max_boost
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The best pizza I've had in Calgary was Rio Pizza on Temple. Thin crust, fully loaded... :drool:

95% rating! :eek:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1513888/restaurant/Northeast/Rio-Pizza-Calgary

Looks like I will give them a try or even hit up Una this weekend.

I have this thing where once every few months I would just pig out on a Pizza 73 pizza and their free wing meal. It's absolute gluttony. Twisted enjoyment out of it.

I ended up going out for sushi last night, good call. haha

flipstah
12-11-2012, 04:57 PM

95% rating! :eek:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1513888/restaurant/Northeast/Rio-Pizza-Calgary

Looks like I will give them a try or even hit up Una this weekend.

I have this thing where once every few months I would just pig out on a Pizza 73 pizza and their free wing meal. It's absolute gluttony. Twisted enjoyment out of it.

I ended up going out for sushi last night, good call. haha

Rio kicks ass, period. It's the best because it's the same pricing as generic pizza joints (Pizza Hut, Domino's, Pizza 73) but quality and taste are off the scale!

Una is good but I felt the place was so snooty for a pizza joint.

Same as Double Zero but their offering is 'meh' in terms of pizza quality-to-price ratio.

Famoso is not bad either.

I'd go:

1.) Una (best out of 3)
2.) Famoso
3.) Double Zero

ercchry
12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Rio kicks ass, period. It's the best because it's the same pricing as generic pizza joints (Pizza Hut, Domino's, Pizza 73) but quality and taste are off the scale!

Una is good but I felt the place was so snooty for a pizza joint.

Same as Double Zero but their offering is 'meh' in terms of pizza quality-to-price ratio.

Famoso is not bad either.

I'd go:

1.) Una (best out of 3)
2.) Famoso
3.) Double Zero

missing without papers, pimento’s and pulcinella

i've only had pimento’s from the truck and havent tried double zero or famoso yet (maybe i'll hit it up tonight, i just always forget about it). so mine goes:

una, without papers then pulcinella. service is what makes una's my #1 since the pizza from them and without papers is pretty close. pulcinella is way too friggin loud (probably thanks to its size) and the pizzas have always been a little too doughy for me... even though they are the only certified joint in town

Disoblige
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Haha, I like a crispier thin crust, so I enjoy pizza like Rea's salmon and capers pizza. Or TYN Lounge's duck confit pizza.

I hate how sometimes pizza from those hipster joints (Una, Without Paper, etc.) gets all soggy after you dig in a few slices.

ercchry
12-11-2012, 05:33 PM
i've never had soggy pizza from either, only place i have experienced that was at pulcinella

flipstah
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM

missing without papers, pimento’s and pulcinella

i've only had pimento’s from the truck and havent tried double zero or famoso yet (maybe i'll hit it up tonight, i just always forget about it). so mine goes:

una, without papers then pulcinella. service is what makes una's my #1 since the pizza from them and without papers is pretty close. pulcinella is way too friggin loud (probably thanks to its size) and the pizzas have always been a little too doughy for me... even though they are the only certified joint in town

I've never been to those three. Tempted to try...

Mmm... :drool:

Haha, I like a crispier thin crust, so I enjoy pizza like Rea's salmon and capers pizza. Or TYN Lounge's duck confit pizza.

I hate how sometimes pizza from those hipster joints (Una, Without Paper, etc.) gets all soggy after you dig in a few slices.

Crispy thin crust rules all. I've never had an awesome thick crust.

sabad66
12-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Double zero has the best crispy thin style pizza IMO.

I had famoso and it was soggy as fuck. Never again.

ercchry
12-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

I had famoso and it was soggy as fuck. Never again.

just got back from famoso... not soggy, had a "red" and a "white" pizza, neither were soggy. no real crisp to them though... but at least they werent so damn chewy that your jaw hurts after eating a whole one :rofl:

overall it was okay... nothin special, but not horrible. for the price though i'd rather go to one of the "fine dining" places, wine selection was pretty poor and the concept for famoso is weird... i dont get it. they come say hi, dont take your order... then they keep coming back to check up on you and will get you other things at that point :dunno:

asp integra
12-11-2012, 10:56 PM
pulcinella is wicked!

dino_martini
12-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Or TYN Lounge's duck confit pizza.

Is that place even open? I walk by there every day and it definitely doesnt look "open". It looks like a ghost town. :dunno:

flipstah
12-11-2012, 10:58 PM

just got back from famoso... not soggy, had a "red" and a "white" pizza, neither were soggy. no real crisp to them though... but at least they werent so damn chewy that your jaw hurts after eating a whole one :rofl:

overall it was okay... nothin special, but not horrible. for the price though i'd rather go to one of the "fine dining" places, wine selection was pretty poor and the concept for famoso is weird... i dont get it. they come say hi, dont take your order... then they keep coming back to check up on you and will get you other things at that point :dunno:

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one!

Famoso service is weird. Quasi-servers lol.

"May I get an iced tea, please?"

"For sure, just order at the front."

O.O