PDA

View Full Version : Landing an O&G job after engineering internship abroad

WithTheLightsOn
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm considering doing a year-long internship abroad after finishing my 3rd year in mechanical (for those that went to UofC, it's the Swiss one). I'm mostly aware of the pros and cons, and my main concern is how would this affect my chances of working for an O&G company once I graduate. From what I've been told and also read on these threads, many of these companies only hire from their pool of interns.

So to people in the industry, would you guys say this is mostly the case? Any other advice is appreciated.

effingidiot
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Why would you want to limit yourself to O&G? :dunno: Explore other options and travel as much as you can.

realazy
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
In my opinion, if you do that and oil and gas is your ultimate goal, you better have really high grades to compensate for your lack of experience in oil and gas here.

From what I've heard from people that did those Swiss internships, you'll most likely be an excel macro monkey. The only perk is that you're in europe and can do lots of travelling.

Street_Soldier
12-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by realazy
From what I've heard from people that did those Swiss internships, you'll most likely be an excel macro monkey. The only perk is that you're in europe and can do lots of travelling.

I'd do this.

My_name_is_Rob
12-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier

I'd do this.

Agreed! What I wouldn't give to get an internship there.

WithTheLightsOn
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by effingidiot
Why would you want to limit yourself to O&G? :dunno: Explore other options and travel as much as you can.
I'm not limiting myself to an industry. I'm just trying to avoid closing doors so early.

Originally posted by realazy
In my opinion, if you do that and oil and gas is your ultimate goal, you better have really high grades to compensate for your lack of experience in oil and gas here.

I've heard this too, but someone who went there last year explained to me it's pretty much up to the individual how much or little you get involved into the projects. I guess it can be a good or bad thing.

About traveling, yeah that's obviously the biggest draw for me. I just don't see when else I'll ever get the chance to travel somewhere new every weekend. Tough call.

lasimmon
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
If you want to get into oil and gas you will get there. It just may not come right out of Uni. You could work in the field. Etc.

Just have to work at it.

Cos
12-10-2012, 09:02 PM

Disoblige
12-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Not sure if it's changed, but isn't it kinda hard to go on those internships as the demand is quite high? Regardless, it sounds like a great opportunity.

I don't think it'll be that difficult to find a job once you return. Or at least, it's worth it to go on the internship.

tch7
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Take the opportunity while you have it. You'll have the next 30+ years to worry about getting into the O&G sector, so there's no need to rush into it.

That being said, there are other non-internship options you could consider if you just want some international/travel time. Good ol' Schulich and the University heavily subsidized a 2 week trip to Germany for me, along with a semester in Australia (where I took one course and spent most of my days at the beach or travelling...). They basically paid me ~$7000 to go on vacations with a little bit of engineering content tossed in. Milk the SSAF before it's too late and you've graduated...

eblend
12-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Friend did this and worked for ABB for 1 year...I was uber jealous and he did a ton of travelling while there since shit is so close.

Just do it, seriously don't care about jobs for now, u will find one, unless your retarded, finding a job in Calgary is really not that hard.

Derek Brown
12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd travel now that you're young and see as much of the world as you can and make contacts and friends all over Europe. A breadth of knowledge and experience can only help. You'll be more interesting to potential employers.

Rat Fink
12-11-2012, 08:28 AM

V6-BoI
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM
I agree with the consensus here, if you have a chance to land an internship overseas, go and take it. If you planning on staying in Calgary, you will eventually find a job that's O&G related. Even if the work experience won't be good at the company, the life experience you gain would probably be pretty amazing.

thrasher22
12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Interning internationally will never hurt your chances when you're job hunting down the road. Not only is it a interesting line on your resume that makes you stand out, it shows ambition. IMO people like to work with interesting people :thumbsup:

WithTheLightsOn
12-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Well, thanks a lot to everyone for the advice. I've accepted an interview opportunity that requires me to take an eventual job offer, so I'll see how that goes. Even if I don't get the position, at least I will have no regrets.

:burnout:

WithTheLightsOn
12-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Cos
There are lots of other lucrative industries in this world besides O&G for a Mech Engg. Get out there and travel. Best case you marry a hot swiss chick and work for a watch maker. :poosie:

http://www.livincool.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/5b782fed143dcdf7d43a1a4900f14e99.jpeg

Worst case you come home and take an extra 4 months to find a job. This is the ONLY time in your life you will have this chance. Jobs, booms/busts, money come and go.

Take it. I wish I had.
Btw, believe it or not I actually met Michelle Hunziker when I was 13. She's a famous TV host in Italy. Damn, time flies...

battlebot
12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
My buddy did this internship a couple years ago and he told it was the best working experience of hes life.

He graduated during the recession and it took him 5 months to the day to get hes first new engineering job.

The only regret he has is that O&G engineering work is monotonous and boring haha

battlebot
12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
My buddy did this internship a couple years ago and he told it was the best working experience of hes life.

He graduated during the recession and it took him 5 months to the day to get hes first new engineering job.

The only regret he has is that O&G engineering work is monotonous and boring haha

Perceptionist
12-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Lots of the big exploration and production companies do hire their new grads from interns, summer students, or co-ops. It can be difficult to get your foot in the door if you weren't working for one of these companies between 3rd and 4th year. I know this because I went through it myself and ended up working in a different industry for a year and a half before getting an opportunity in the patch.

That being said, I would take the internship in Switzerland without a doubt. It might just be the best year of your life, and something you'd regret if you don't at least put in the application. You won't have the same contacts and resume as your classmates that did their internships at O & G companies, but you'll have some great life experiences and unforgettable memories. It might even change your perspective on things and open your eyes to opportunities outside of the O & G industry.

Feruk
12-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Most of the guys I knew who did the Switzerland route did have some trouble finding work in O&G post-graduation. But I'd say they all had one within 6 months. From what they told me, they wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I'd do it for sure.