PDA

View Full Version : Gum Grafting Surgery

-relk-
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyone had this done before? From what I have read, its pretty common nowadays. I'm scheduled to have 2 of my bottom teeth done this Thursday, thought I would see if any beyonders have any post-op tips.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm losing my gums like crazy, I'm going to have to have this done soon I bet, would be interested in tips and cost people have seen?

-relk-
12-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I'm losing my gums like crazy, I'm going to have to have this done soon I bet, would be interested in tips and cost people have seen?
The quote I saw was for around $3k I think. I have no idea where that ranks.

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I've had this done multiple times, but due to a major surgery, and not because of naturally receding gums or anything like that. For that reason it was also covered by healthcare.

For me it was a fairly painless procedure. They just froze me with a needle, cut the gum from the top of my mouth, and stitched it around my teeth to protect the exposed roots that were left due to my surgery. Each time they would graft, and wait for them to recede, then repeat until they were at an acceptable level. Your mouth heals faster than anywhere else on your body, and the recovery pain wasn't bad at all for me. One thing that kind of sucks though is that as your mouth heals, you will have awful breath for a while haha.

Based on my experience, you don't have much to worry about. Recovery pain isn't bad, and the stitches will dissolve or fall out in several days.

As for post-op tips, just don't eat things like chips where little hard flakes can jam into the post-op area (either where the new gum is, or where they took the gum from). Don't eat things like apples or tough bread where it pushes down on your gums as you bite into it. You will go through a lot of mouthwash, or special dental rinse, whatever the doctor tells you to use. Just keep it clean, and eat soft foods. It's pretty simple.

-relk-
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
^^ Good to hear. Googling this has turned out much worse results than yours, but my guess is that those would be the bad experiences, just gonna hope mine isn't one of them.

I am going to miss whole foods a lot :(

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah I would think the people who take the time to write about it on the internet had bad experiences (as with anything).

Mine was on the two teeth left of my middle teeth on the bottom of my mouth (K-9 and the on beside it). I had this done 3 or 4 times.

It's not pleasant, but it's not like you will be in terrible pain or anything. Assuming you are getting this done on your front teeth, just make sure you chew only in the back of your mouth, and cut your food into smaller pieces. Also avoid playing with the stitches with your tongue if you are fidgety like that.

Also if you use an electric/sonic toothbrush you will probably be told to not use it around the area.

Honestly for me the worst part was my breath in the morning haha - all that healing releases some nasty shit.

Maxx Mazda
12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
...Your mouth heals faster than anywhere else on your body...

Actually, it's the second fastest healing part of your body. Your eye is the fastest.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2034/2457102497_81fd86ee1c.jpg

-relk-
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Thought I would update this thread for anyone who searches later...

Had my surgery on Thursday (writing this as of Monday morning), turns out it was 4 teeth instead of 2. Surgery wasn't that bad, aside from the uncomfortableness associated with the freezing needles, didn't feel anything. Not really any pain after the surgery, aside from when I would smile or laugh. Next few days weren't bad either.

The worst part of the whole ordeal, is not eating solid foods. It SUCKS. But other than that, the whole thing wasn't that bad.

Mitsu3000gt
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Good to hear. If it was anything like mine, I didn't think it would be bad at all.

You'll heal up fast, too. Obviously it's not pleasant, but on the mouth surgery scale it's pretty low.

Thomas Gabriel
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
At first I thought this thread was called Gun Grafting Surgery and you were going to have a shotty attached to your arm. Toooooo bad.