PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

rage2
12-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Michelin is debuting their new all season tire tonight, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3. We've been invited once again for the event in New Orleans, checking out the release party, and Matt is there to try the tires out at NOLA motorsports park tomorrow.

Here's the preview and the press release:
http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-unveils-new-michelin-pilot-sport-as-3/21393.html

Edit - Review of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-pilot-sport-as3-all-season-tires-review/21462.html) is up.

A few quick pics:

http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/michelin-pilot-sport-as3-cornering.jpg

http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/michelin-pilot-sport-as3-all-season-tires.jpg

schocker
12-11-2012, 05:29 PM
But what about...... :winter:

i kid, i kid, these would be nice for the spring/fall as pilots are very good tires :burnout:

rage2
12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I dunno if we'll get to test snow action in New Orleans, so we'll see tomorrow how they'll simulate low temperature/snow/ice testing, as Michelin promises that these tires are truly all season (including winter).

Michelin has continues to impress over and over again with their new products the last couple of years. Their Pilot Super Sports are awesome, finally a tire that can handle my abuse without wearing out every 4000km's!

lilmira
12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
You might get a few snow cones in new orleans. It looks like the temp is in the mid teens. So you can't really test the tires in sub-zero temp like we get here.

Cos
12-11-2012, 06:17 PM

Jlude
12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I had the A/S 2 for my M3, hahaha but never actually drove them on snow.

rage2
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
This is the first all season tire that Michelin has specifically mentioned snow use. They must be confident haha.

max_boost
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Was wondering why Matt went to New Orleans. Have fun buddy. :werd:

freshprince1
12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
This is great timing for me! I plan to buy some good all-seasons before the end of the year and am heavily considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Can anyone share a review of those? Costco will sell/mount them for $1000ish...I don't suppose we'd get the A/S 3's here before year end?

I do not wish to argue A/S vs Winter tires. I agree that Winters are better. In my situation I have decided to go with All Seasons.

rage2
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
The A/S 3's won't be available until May or June.

max_boost
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Similar to Nokian WR? All weather plus? Actual 4 season tire.

98type_r
12-12-2012, 12:36 PM
If it performs real world like they are pitching it, then I know whats on the top of my list when it comes time for new rubber in the spring.

heavyD
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
These tires are obviously not going to perform as well in the dry as the Super Sports but it would be nice to know how close they can get in an all-season tire.

rage2
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
They're definately targetting ultra high performance market for these all seasons. Michelin was demoing the tires on a 911 Turbo S, ZR1, Murcielago, and Ferrari 458 down in New Orleans.

flipstah
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
If it performs real world like they are pitching it, then I know whats on the top of my list when it comes time for new rubber in the spring.

Originally posted by heavyD
These tires are obviously not going to perform as well in the dry as the Super Sports but it would be nice to know how close they can get in an all-season tire.

:werd:

Quite curious as to what the results will be because I was thinking of getting the regular Super Sports for this summer.

kenny
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
They are putting the A/S 3 up against the following tires in wet and dry autocross.

Continental ExtremeContact DW
Pirelli P ZERO
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

heavyD
12-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by kenny
They are putting the A/S 3 up against the following tires in wet and dry autocross.

Continental ExtremeContact DW
Pirelli P ZERO
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

I have run the Continental DW's and quite like them so if these A/S tires can outperform them I may have no need for two sets. The Dunlops that come stock with the STI suck ass.

Mibz
12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Just got back last night and I have a ton of writing to do, but I need to quickly clarify a couple things.

First, they're marketing it for light snow and were very clear to the Canadians that this likely would not be suitable as a year-round tire in our climate. However, that doesn't mean this tire doesn't belong in Canada for reasons you'll read about.

Secondly, the A/S 3 was only tested against the summer tires in dry autocross, wet autocross was against other all-seasons.

You guys will get all the info once I can get all this on paper but, spoiler alert, I'm likely going to be buying a set for the wife's GTI come summer.

HeavyD, lucky you, the dry autocross was in an STi, haha.

Mibz
12-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Review (http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-pilot-sport-as3-all-season-tires-review/21462.html)

I gotta say, the STi didn't handle the way that everybody makes it out to. Yeah, it was prone to understeer, but it wasn't too difficult to get it sideways around the auto-x track. Maybe it's different on the streets.

Every time I go down to sea level I'm blown away at how much quicker some cars are. The G37 has been the most surprising yet. I've only driven the 370Z up here, but my god it was night and day.

D'z Nutz
12-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Good read. What's the MSRP supposed to be on these?

A2VR6
12-14-2012, 01:51 AM
nice writeup! I dont think it will sway me from running a sole summer/winter combo but it's good to see that all seasons seem to be vastly improving now and how close they come to pure summer tires. It would have been interesting to see how these compared to the Pilot Super Sports.

Mibz
12-14-2012, 08:14 AM
No MSRP has been released yet and nobody at Michelin would even hazard a guess when asked.

Also, the cars at the beginning doing the hot lap were running Pilot Super Sports, not A/S 3s as previously reported.

If I do pull the trigger on these things in summer Beyond will probably be looking for a MK6 GTI with Pilot Super Sports for a comparison, for sure.

Cos
12-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Mibz
12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I liked it more than I thought I would. Very easy to drive, very predictable. I'd have to test drive one on normal roads to know if I could handle it as a daily driver, and it's more expensive than I'd like, but I was impressed with what little time I had in it.

I picked the Turbo S specifically because it's my dream car. I'm sure the other cars would have been more exciting, but I had to get in the Porsche. Zero regrets. Mind blowing acceleration. My plane taking off was meh in comparison, also more legroom :P

heavyD
12-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I liked it more than I thought I would. Very easy to drive, very predictable. I'd have to test drive one on normal roads to know if I could handle it as a daily driver, and it's more expensive than I'd like, but I was impressed with what little time I had in it.

Since 2011 the STI's handling and steering have been improved. It's not a bad handling car now. One thing to take note of is that the STI is a noisy car as a daily driver. The rear decklid rattles (sedan) when it's cold as does the dash in random places. It's the noisiest new car I've ever owned. There are a lot of how-to's on the internet to quiet the noises but IMO Subaru really needs to step up in this department. I got the Sport-tech that has the Pioneer NAV and boy it feels pretty poor-man compared to the SYNC in my Mustang that IMO was brilliant. Also the overall sound quality is equivalent to that of a 1990's Civic audio system. This is another area that Subaru is behind the competition. Otherwise I'm liking the car so far.

iron_man888
07-12-2013, 12:17 AM
just wondering if anyone has run these tires yet if they have any comments/reviews

Mibz
07-12-2013, 07:54 AM
My wife's summer tires have lasted longer than we expected so we've got no plans to buy these this year, haha. I'm also curious to know if anybody's picked them up.

Tomaz
07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Well, I might be sold next time I am in the market. lol

I am sick of playing the switching game every spring/fall. If these are as good as they say they are, I might not get stranded in a light disting of snow before I make the switch to my full winter tires! :thumbsup:

Prices are reasonable too. $750 for a set of 215/45R18 on Tirerack. Not bad!

snowcat
07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
I agree. The Michelin Pilot Road 2, for motorcycles, are absolutely my favourite tire.