PDA

View Full Version : Sound in New Build Home

dannie
12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Very long story short, I've been put in charge of General Contracting the build for my folks new home in Pump Hill for the next two weeks. Once of the things on my plate today is to get quotes for sound systems in the house.

This is going to sound absolutely stupid, but I have no clue about any of this. So, please dumb your answers down for me if you reply to this thread... lol

Here is the jist of what they want...

In the master suite, they would like to be able to turn the TV on and stream the TV to the speakers in the bedroom and bathroom (Zones 1 and 2) with each having a volume control

On the main level, they want a zone in the kitchen, dining room and living room (zones 3,4,5) and want to be able to again stream it off the TV and have a volume control for each zone.

In the basement, we have a pool table area and a TV area (zones 6, 7) that again, they want to run off the TV in the basement or iPod etc and have volume control on each zone. Along with these 7 zones being able to work independent of each other, they wouldn't mind (not a requirement) for them to work together too

Additionally, in the basement, my father wants a kickass soundsaround... but my lovely mother wants no "speakers all over the place."

Any insight on where I should go and get quotes? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist and is there something better?

TIA

VWEvo
12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
I used Home Concepts for my new home. PJ there is absolutely amazing and super knowledgable. I believe they are one of the only people in Calgary to win a CEDIA award for their work. You can google their name to get the contact info.

benyl
12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
It exists, but be prepared to spend 6 figures to get what you are looking for.

Being in pump hill, I expect that money aint no thang... lol

ercchry
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
really depends on how you put it all together, coming from the commercial side its a little different... but hitting the $100k mark is easy... depending on quality of equipment and how much flexibility you want (you mentioned 7 zones, now is it really 7... or is it a bunch of 2 zone systems?)

dannie
12-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I used Home Concepts for my new home. PJ there is absolutely amazing and super knowledgable. I believe they are one of the only people in Calgary to win a CEDIA award for their work. You can google their name to get the contact info.

Ok, I will give em a call. Thanks!

Originally posted by benyl
It exists, but be prepared to spend 6 figures to get what you are looking for.

Being in pump hill, I expect that money aint no thang... lol

For something basic? I dunno.... I was quoted $7k for something really basic today. And really... it's not like they are gonna be raving in the house... lol they wanna listen to the weather channel while getting ready - kinda thing... lol

Originally posted by ercchry
really depends on how you put it all together, coming from the commercial side its a little different... but hitting the $100k mark is easy... depending on quality of equipment and how much flexibility you want (you mentioned 7 zones, now is it really 7... or is it a bunch of 2 zone systems?)

I may be using the term "zone" wrong. For example: In the master bedroom, 2 speakers in the ceiling, attached to the TV (zone 1). In the bathroom, 2 speakers in the ceiling, again attached to the tv (zone 2)

ercchry
12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by dannie

I may be using the term "zone" wrong. For example: In the master bedroom, 2 speakers in the ceiling, attached to the TV (zone 1). In the bathroom, 2 speakers in the ceiling, again attached to the tv (zone 2)

so cheap option:
tv with built in amp, wires ran to ceiling in room to speakers, wires ran to vol control in bathroom then to speakers

expensive route:
cable box in a/v rack in basement with hdmi and ir extender ran to tv in bedroom. speakers in bath and room ran to amp in basement, witchcraft and wizardry connecting everything.

price difference? a zero or two

benyl
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM

For something basic? I dunno.... I was quoted $7k for something really basic today. And really... it's not like they are gonna be raving in the house... lol they wanna listen to the weather channel while getting ready - kinda thing... lol

If you want to run each room independently, then no problem. Cheap is the way to go. That means the speakers only play what is on the TV in that room.

If you want all the speakers in the house to play the same thing at the same time, then you have to run wiring to a central location with distribution.

Just the wiring in my house (yes, I am sure I got ripped off) was over $7K to run everything centrally.

This was speakers in almost every room and data in every room. You can run the TV over the data lines. Add more money if you want to control volume with a knob or a display on the wall.

dannie
12-12-2012, 01:31 PM

so cheap option:
tv with built in amp, wires ran to ceiling in room to speakers, wires ran to vol control in bathroom then to speakers

expensive route:
cable box in a/v rack in basement with hdmi and ir extender ran to tv in bedroom. speakers in bath and room ran to amp in basement, witchcraft and wizardry connecting everything.

price difference? a zero or two

Cheap option is the way we intend on going. Any ideas on a decent wire guy and speaker?

If you want to run each room independently, then no problem. Cheap is the way to go. That means the speakers only play what is on the TV in that room.

If you want all the speakers in the house to play the same thing at the same time, then you have to run wiring to a central location with distribution.

Just the wiring in my house (yes, I am sure I got ripped off) was over $7K to run everything centrally.

This was speakers in almost every room and data in every room. You can run the TV over the data lines. Add more money if you want to control volume with a knob or a display on the wall.

Ouch!!!!! I just clenched at that price. Centrally run, that doesn't sound like the fucked you over hard, just without lube

ercchry
12-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Cheap option is the way we intend on going. Any ideas on a decent wire guy and speaker?

im not going to recommend speakers cause the ones we would spec are for voice more than music and there is so many crazy speaker guys on here i would just get flamed hard :rofl:

but i do keep in touch with a few of our old installers if you are looking for someone to do it on the side. if you want an actual business to do the work there are a couple residential guys kicking around here that im sure will eventually chime in.

dannie
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM

im not going to recommend speakers cause the ones we would spec are for voice more than music and there is so many crazy speaker guys on here i would just get flamed hard :rofl:

but i do keep in touch with a few of our old installers if you are looking for someone to do it on the side. if you want an actual business to do the work there are a couple residential guys kicking around here that im sure will eventually chime in.

Any help I can get, I will totally take! If you know any old installers that are really good and willing to work for cash or cheque or whatever.... feel free to PM me their info.

Thanks!!!

ercchry
12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
sure, i'll see if anyone is interested and let ya know

wtf im nameless
12-12-2012, 02:09 PM

That's not that bad, lol, I don't even want to know what you thought of the quote I gave you. If you wired it like I suggested, $7k is a great deal IMO.

If you want some free advice feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions, or we can just do it in here in the thread, I do this for a living. Just finished this system this week it's a 5 zone system but it can be expanded to be a lot bigger:

http://www.technadian.com/product_images/uploaded_images/rack1.jpg

ercchry
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
that doesnt look finished :rofl:

dannie
12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

That's not that bad, lol, I don't even want to know what you thought of the quote I gave you. If you wired it like I suggested, $7k is a great deal IMO.

If you want some free advice feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions, or we can just do it in here in the thread, I do this for a living. Just finished this system this week it's a 5 zone system but it can be expanded to be a lot bigger:

That would be awesome! Based on the simplistic idea that we have, what would your suggestion be? Also, if you want to pop by the site and have a look, I'd be happy to meet you there too.

Off the top of your head tho, as basic as basic can be is what we are looking for

89coupe
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Very long story short, I've been put in charge of General Contracting the build for my folks new home in Pump Hill for the next two weeks. Once of the things on my plate today is to get quotes for sound systems in the house.

This is going to sound absolutely stupid, but I have no clue about any of this. So, please dumb your answers down for me if you reply to this thread... lol

Here is the jist of what they want...

In the master suite, they would like to be able to turn the TV on and stream the TV to the speakers in the bedroom and bathroom (Zones 1 and 2) with each having a volume control

On the main level, they want a zone in the kitchen, dining room and living room (zones 3,4,5) and want to be able to again stream it off the TV and have a volume control for each zone.

In the basement, we have a pool table area and a TV area (zones 6, 7) that again, they want to run off the TV in the basement or iPod etc and have volume control on each zone. Along with these 7 zones being able to work independent of each other, they wouldn't mind (not a requirement) for them to work together too

Additionally, in the basement, my father wants a kickass soundsaround... but my lovely mother wants no "speakers all over the place."

Any insight on where I should go and get quotes? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist and is there something better?

TIA

Call my buddies company, his prices and service are the best in the city.

Facebook website link

https://www.facebook.com/pinnaclehometech

Regular website - requires Flash

www.pinnaclehometech.com

wtf im nameless
12-12-2012, 02:24 PM
that doesnt look finished :rofl:

That was before delivery, the wiring you see in the pic was internal rack wiring only. I'm waiting for the reno to finish before I take "after" pics, but my part of the job is done.

I forgot to say, if you wanted a control system that does everything you're asking for in the first post, without seeing it I'd estimate 30-40k as a ball park for what you're asking for.

wtf im nameless
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM

That would be awesome! Based on the simplistic idea that we have, what would your suggestion be? Also, if you want to pop by the site and have a look, I'd be happy to meet you there too.

Off the top of your head tho, as basic as basic can be is what we are looking for

I don't really do basic stuff myself, but I can probably point you in the right direction. If you're just in pump hill I'd be happy to meet you and at least give you some free advice on things you should watch out for.

ercchry
12-12-2012, 02:28 PM
just sent you some contact info. probably the best guy out of all my contacts. he seems pretty pumped about it

dannie
12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Call my buddies company, his prices and service are the best in the city.

Facebook website link

https://www.facebook.com/pinnaclehometech

Regular website - requires Flash

www.pinnaclehometech.com

Thanks! I will look him up

dannie
12-12-2012, 02:32 PM

I don't really do basic stuff myself, but I can probably point you in the right direction. If you're just in pump hill I'd be happy to meet you and at least give you some free advice on things you should watch out for.

That would be awesome! PM me if you don't mind :)

benyl
12-12-2012, 02:39 PM

You quote was fine. Landscaping came first... you don't want to know what we spent on that... haha

89coupe
12-12-2012, 03:02 PM

You quote was fine. Landscaping came first... you don't want to know what we spent on that... haha

Didn't Visions wire your house?

wtf im nameless
12-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Exactly :rolleyes:

benyl
12-12-2012, 03:35 PM

He is quoted me on home automation and some B&W speakers.

His username seems to have changed... haha

89coupe
12-12-2012, 03:43 PM

I can't believe you didn't call my buddy?

My guy is also a Senior IT pro, you two would be best buddies, haha.

benyl
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I haven't gone ahead with anything. No budget... lol

wtf im nameless
12-12-2012, 03:50 PM

I got sick of using my old ebay account name, and well, you cant change user names around here unless you know people... lol, the kind of people I don't know.

cet
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM

I got sick of using my old ebay account name, and well, you can change user names around here unless you know people... lol, the kind of people I don't know.

I've been meaning to ask you what the cost of a 6 zone Lutron Grafikeye QS was. You can pm me if you don't want to put it in the thread.

wtf im nameless
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't normally install grafikeye myself, usually just RadioRa2 or Homeworks systems, but I can find out and let you know. I'll see if it's on my online price list when I get home.

cet
12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Perfect, thanks.
I want it to control the lights in the theater I'm building. From what I understand the QS will interface with the RadioRA but the 3000 series won't. I want to install RadioRA sometime in the future.

Jonrox
12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
This is what I have... it does EXACTLY what you're looking for with the different zones and sources. I have 6 zones, each can be independently controlled with different audio sources for each (or all playing the same source). And this didn't cost anywhere near the $30-40k another poster quoted.

NuVo Essentia
http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/wired-systems/essentia/overview

NuVo Distributors in Canada:
JAM INDUSTRIES
21000 TRANS CANADA HIGHWAY
BAIE D URFE, QC H9X 4B7
CANADA
phone: 1-514-457-2555

If you call them they should be able to give you an installer in Calgary. I think the box and keypads came in around $2500 (plus speakers and wiring costs).

While you're at it, you should look at installing an HDMI matrix which will give you video distribution throughout the house in addition to your audio distribution.

dannie
12-13-2012, 06:07 PM
^ Interesting. Thanks for the link!!

wtf im nameless
12-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Jonrox
This is what I have... it does EXACTLY what you're looking for with the different zones and sources. I have 6 zones, each can be independently controlled with different audio sources for each (or all playing the same source). And this didn't cost anywhere near the $30-40k another poster quoted.

If you call them they should be able to give you an installer in Calgary. I think the box and keypads came in around $2500 (plus speakers and wiring costs).

20 Watts per channel @ 6 ohms is not enough power for what they require.

Jonrox
12-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Why isn't it enough? It's a great system for a multi-zone house. I have 2 pvr's hooked up to mine and it works perfectly. And it's simple to hookup other audio devices as well. It's incredibly easy and intuitive to control.

Add in an RF remote (I just press a button on mine to tell it what room I'm in and then choose the source I want to use... Easy as pie), the hdmi matrix, and some IR blasters for the pvr's and they can then change the channel from anywhere in the house as well.

One $750 hdmi matrix gives me access to my ps3, Xbox, and pvr's from any tv in the house. I don't need separate pvr's (or remotes) for every tv and have access to all of my recordings on each tv as well (plus there's no need to hide a cable box behind the tv's with the pvr's all tucked away in the rack in the basement).

89coupe
12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
This is what I use

http://www.homeauto.com/products/wholehomeaudio/wholehomeaudio.asp

It can do up to 16 zones and you can control everything from your iPhone or iPad through WiFi.

I'm powering Boston Acoustic HSi480's and they sound amazing.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/CA/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_CA)&SubCatId=HSi(BostonAcoustics_CA)&Pid=HSi480(BostonAcoustics)

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Why isn't it enough? It's a great system for a multi-zone house. I have 2 pvr's hooked up to mine and it works perfectly. And it's simple to hookup other audio devices as well. It's incredibly easy and intuitive to control.

Add in an RF remote (I just press a button on mine to tell it what room I'm in and then choose the source I want to use... Easy as pie), the hdmi matrix, and some IR blasters for the pvr's and they can then change the channel from anywhere in the house as well.

One $750 hdmi matrix gives me access to my ps3, Xbox, and pvr's from any tv in the house. I don't need separate pvr's (or remotes) for every tv and have access to all of my recordings on each tv as well (plus there's no need to hide a cable box behind the tv's with the pvr's all tucked away in the rack in the basement).

Why isn't it enough? Just take a look at any reputable speaker manufacturers web site and almost all of them list some sort of recommended amplifier requirements. The system you're suggesting doesn't even have enough wattage to meet the bare minimum requirements of any 6 or 8 inch speaker I can even find.

In my opinion that's just not enough power considering the size of some of the rooms.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
yeah im running my shitty in ceiling speakers in my kitchen off the 160w/channel @ 6ohm zone 2 of my a/v receiver... sure im running it through a 75w vol control... but even still THAT is just enough for my 4 speakers

EDIT:looks like zone 2 is 1 channel driven... so i guess the 75w control is right on the money

89coupe
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
My setup is only 25watts rms per channel and it just pounds.

Call my buddy, he will have you setup with an amazing sounding system for a lot less.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 11:09 AM
16 channels for amplification of 8 zones
120 watts per channel at 8 ohms
4 ohm stable (at 220 watts per channel)
THD <0.05% at 20hz - 20Khz
28lbs of amplification

I consider that to be a mid range amplifier.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
16 channels for amplification of 8 zones
120 watts per channel at 8 ohms
4 ohm stable (at 220 watts per channel)
THD &lt;0.05% at 20hz - 20Khz
28lbs of amplification

I consider that to be a mid range amplifier.

Thats just a waste of money for in-ceiling sound.

Complete over kill x10

OP, call my guy. I can even demo my setup for you if you are serious after talking to my buddy at Pinnacle Home Tech.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 11:16 AM
holy fuck Brad! we get it! you have a friend who owns an a/v company!

msommers
12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
:rofl:

89coupe
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
holy fuck Brad! we get it! you have a friend who owns an a/v company!

That's good, trying to save the OP some money and headache.

:thumbsup:

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Thats just a waste of money for in-ceiling sound.

Complete over kill x10

OP, call my guy. I can even demo my setup for you if you are serious after talking to my buddy at Pinnacle Home Tech.

High end, or over kill x10 as you call it would be something like this in my opinion:

Bryston multi room amplifier
http://bryston.com/products/power_amps/875Z.html

Paired with a speaker like this:
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/trimless-300/ct380-idc/#/overview

A setup like that comes in around $6,500 per zone installed, assuming you stick with groups of 4. There's houses in Calgary that have systems like that with 16 zones of audio.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 11:45 AM

High end, or over kill x10 as you call it would be something like this in my opinion:

Bryston multi room amplifier
http://bryston.com/products/power_amps/875Z.html

Paired with a speaker like this:
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/ci-series/trimless-300/ct380-idc/#/overview

A setup like that comes in around $6,500 per zone installed, assuming you stick with groups of 4. There's houses in Calgary that have systems like that with 16 zones of audio.

That's just stupid.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 12:13 PM

That's just stupid.

I'm just trying to show the range in these systems. When it comes to home audio, entry level products will come in around $1000 per zone, average systems will come in around $2,500 per zone, upper end comes in at around $4,000 per zone and high end can hit $6,500+ per zone.

And that's for audio only systems...

Not everyone needs an upper end system, but people should be aware of what they're buying. I just don't agree with how so many of these companies claim their systems are all that, when in reality they're one small step above the least expensive options out there. If you know what you're looking for the numbers clearly show a quality difference. My systems are a lot more than just audio, they all include equipment racks that have cooling fans, custom made cables, full home networks with small business grade NAS, touch panels that can run everything from your lights to your HVAC, tell you if your garage door is open or not, etc.. They even include a UPS system where I can remotely reboot any device in the rack if there's every an issue that needs to be addressed.

If you want to talk headache free, it doesn't get much easier to use or more reliable than the systems I offer.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
When you are talking per zone, does that include wiring, control system,speakers, and labor to install it all?

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 12:54 PM
When you are talking per zone, does that include wiring, control system,speakers, and labor to install it all?

Yes - but I mean as a range in the industry on audio only systems, something like your system. If I were to install a system like yours I wouldn't have to worry about installing a full home network, a NAS, a UPS system etc...

When I quote an audio system, I'm quoting the audio only portion of a full home automation system that has the capabilities to do all that and so much more. Typically they use much higher quality amplifiers, switchers, etc... They require proper home networks and UPS systems. If you have one of my systems and wanted to expand it, they have a solution for almost anything imaginable without having to get a different system to do "that other thing".

If you want to compare apples to apples, you'd compare my system (Control4) against Crestron, AMX or Savant. Those are the only comparable products to what I offer.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Here's a prime example, everyone knows Sub-zero and Wolf appliances. Look at the bottom of the page and see who's systems these appliances can just easily integrate with...

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/kitchen-design-plans/smartkitchen.aspx

If I were a betting man I'd say you'll see Savant added to that list before the end of 2013. AMX in my opinion is losing market share and won't be seen as often as it used to be.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 01:03 PM
I think it's a big waste of money. So many products these days are offering wifi control and an app to go with it, all for pennies compared to these systems.

I think the only thing worth wiring for is sound.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I think it's a big waste of money. So many products these days are offering wifi control and an app to go with it, all for pennies compared to these systems.

nope... nope, nope, nope... you need to experience the reliability of a proper system vs wifi bullshit. even with my house i have 0 budget, house is 100 years old and not friendly to wire. i went the cheap route just to see how it would work.... NEVER AGAIN! so much headache... if i dont turn everything on int he right order keys dont even get passed and nothing fucking works :banghead:

benyl
12-14-2012, 01:13 PM

The problem with all these wifi controlled devices is that the companies are trying to monitize them.

For instance, I have a wifi capable thermostat from Carrier. I haven't connected it because it required an account on Carrier.com and I have to pay $100 / year to use their service.

Why I can it just have it's own mini web server or an API to allow me to capture the data and send data myself? Cause carrier wants to make money.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 01:22 PM

There are more electronics in our houses today than ever before, and the number of electronic systems/devices you have in your house will continue to grow at an incredible rate for years to come. Some people can appreciate the simplicity of having one system, one button - that can do almost anything they want. They don't want to learn how to use 20 different apps, they don't have time to learn how to find an IP address or MAC address of the new gadget they just bought then go to an app store, find, install and configure an app.

What you're saying is no different than a guy who has 7 remote controls for his home theatre, he can have them all in front of him and has full control of his theatre. He just turns this device on with this remote, changes the channel with that one, adjusts the volume with that one, no problem. Until he tries explaining it to someone who has never used it before... And on top of that he has 4 TVs in his house and all of them have different setups and configurations.

Apps are the same thing, some people just don't want to have to learn, download and update 20 different apps for their home when they can have one that does it all.

I had to walk my own mother through how to reboot her Shaw phone modem to get her phone working again. When stuff like that happens to my clients I can press a button on my phone from anywhere in the world and do it for them right away, assuming my system doesn't diagnose and correct the problem on it's own before either my client or I ever even knew it happened in the first place.

But that convenience comes at a price...

89coupe
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I can download one app to control them all, easy peazy.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 01:30 PM

nope... nope, nope, nope... you need to experience the reliability of a proper system vs wifi bullshit. even with my house i have 0 budget, house is 100 years old and not friendly to wire. i went the cheap route just to see how it would work.... NEVER AGAIN! so much headache... if i dont turn everything on int he right order keys dont even get passed and nothing fucking works :banghead:

It's called YuGo technology :poosie:

Every time you press a button you go see if anything actually happened.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I can download one app to control them all, easy peazy.

What's it called?

Here's what I use at home:

http://www.control4.com/residential/products/myhome/

ercchry
12-14-2012, 01:33 PM

It's called YuGo technology :poosie:

Every time you press a button you go see if anything actually happened.

yeah, i'd have to say the worst part is the ir... friggin passive plate doesnt have power till the device is turned on... how do i turn it on then?! :rofl:

good thing its all in the same room so i just look like an idiot spinning in circles turning shit on :nut:

Jonrox
12-14-2012, 01:48 PM
The speakers I use in my indoor zones are:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/round-in-ceiling/CW180R-In-Wall-Speaker

And they sound great. Plenty of power coming from the NuVo to suit what most people would use in-ceilings for.

And this is the remote I use (I keep 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs):

http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-controls/monster-cable-home-theater/4505-7900_7-31748154.html

I know it's Monster and some people hate everything they make, but it has RF and is really easy to use with a multi-room setup.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM

What's it called?

Here's what I use at home:

http://www.control4.com/residential/products/myhome/

http://www.iruleathome.com/

89coupe
12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Honestly though, when I have friends over I select my zone for listening to music and play satellite radio. Haha

I can access my personal library but we never do.

I never touch my blinds, I never touch my thermostat, I guess lights would be nice but you can buy a simple control box and app to run that.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM

http://www.iruleathome.com/

That's not even close to the same thing, although it looks cool for a techy or DIY kind of person.

Jonrox
12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
My home theatre installers were fantastic (I don't live in Calgary). They actually listened to what I wanted and what I'd use my system for. They then came up with a system that fit the bill.

In this thread, the OP says he needs something basic so his parents can listen to the weather channel while getting ready. Then the home audio pros come in and say they need a system with 120w/channel, custom cabling, etc... that will cost tens of thousands of dollars. They don't even seem to care what the end user needs or wants.

Most people will use their system to listen to music or news while getting ready or as background noise. The system I gave links to does this perfectly.

Some of the systems here are overkill and I think a lot of "pros" make their living off quoting people way more system than they'll ever use. They quote an audiophile system for someone who only wants the weather, which is what happened here.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
i listened to what SHE wanted, gave her a contact who can do it for her... now everyone is just doing the normal beyond.ca thing and taking it to a hypothetical baller system :rofl:

89coupe
12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
i listened to what SHE wanted, gave her a contact who can do it for her... now everyone is just doing the normal beyond.ca thing and taking it to a hypothetical baller system :rofl:

I was giving the affordable route.

A full home automation system is a waste of money that they will never use.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 03:03 PM

I was giving the affordable route.

A full home automation system is a waste of money that they will never use.

i wouldnt go that far... really depends on the person and what the house is used for and their lifestyle.

if i had multiple homes you better believe i would go full automation.

going out to the cabin this weekend? well better take the hot water tank off vacation, turn up the thermostat from 10 degrees, its going to be late too so better turn some lights on.

out at the cabin and i just cant remember if i closed the garage door at home... or locked up... or turned everything off... better check. also the neighbors have said sketchy people are prowling the area... better turn the lights on so it looks like we are home.

at home and wondering if that bum ass family member who has keys to the cabin for emergency reasons only is using it when you arnt there? well, thats easy enough to check on...

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
My home theatre installers were fantastic (I don't live in Calgary). They actually listened to what I wanted and what I'd use my system for. They then came up with a system that fit the bill.

In this thread, the OP says he needs something basic so his parents can listen to the weather channel while getting ready. Then the home audio pros come in and say they need a system with 120w/channel, custom cabling, etc... that will cost tens of thousands of dollars. They don't even seem to care what the end user needs or wants.

Most people will use their system to listen to music or news while getting ready or as background noise. The system I gave links to does this perfectly.

Some of the systems here are overkill and I think a lot of &quot;pros&quot; make their living off quoting people way more system than they'll ever use. They quote an audiophile system for someone who only wants the weather, which is what happened here.

I do this for a living and I've been in this industry for 10+ years. I offered and did a free site visit that I normally charge $200 for and offered to give her my honest advice on choosing a system regardless of who she buys it from. I did this clearly knowing my product is multiple times the price point of what she's looking for and in my mind there's a 99% chance she won't buy anything from me anyway.

I do this because there's nothing that I hate more than when people ask for help with this kind of stuff and some internet know it all goes and recommends a product that won't even suit their needs but claims it will do everything they need and more, without even seeing the house it's going in, which is what happened here. And i'm not talking about 89couples system when I say that. FML the slack you get around here for trying to help people out sometimes... I've never made money of another beyonder but I've always helped.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
They sell thermostat controls with wifi app control.

They sell door locks with wifi app control.

They sell car starters with wifi app control

They sell garage door openers with wifi all control

Easy peazy

ercchry
12-14-2012, 03:18 PM
They sell thermostat controls with wifi app control.

They sell door locks with wifi app control.

They sell car starters with wifi app control

They sell garage door openers with wifi all control

Easy peazy

you want to be the one to explain to a 60+ year old how to work all that shit? :rofl:

89coupe
12-14-2012, 03:21 PM

you want to be the one to explain to a 60+ year old how to work all that shit? :rofl:

...and you think explaining how to run his Control 4 system would be any easier? Hahaha

ercchry
12-14-2012, 03:24 PM

...and you think explaining how to run his Control 4 system would be any easier? Hahaha

not familiar with it since we never would dream to use it on the corporate side...

but the people looking into these systems are the CEOs and other execs that have a very similar crestron/amx system in their boardroom. setup the GUI to look the same, bam... done. no learning curve.

wtf im nameless
12-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Yes, that's the point.

89coupe
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Not a chance.

But that is why most have remote systems that the installers can login to to help support.

I've heard this story too many times, haha

msommers
12-14-2012, 04:00 PM
As much as you guys all want to argue about what is best, really, the best option is for Dannie's parents to go in and try these devices first-hand to see what they like, with a budget in mind.

Easy peazy.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers
As much as you guys all want to argue about what is best, really, the best option is for Dannie's parents to go in and try these devices first-hand to see what they like, with a budget in mind.

Easy peazy.

keep in mind its her parents that will be the ones using it... when i think of a/v and my parents, its has to be DEAD simple.

their distributed audio? two speakers in the kitchen attached to a knob that controls the volume with its source being their old CD/cassette home stereo in the dinning room. they can handle that. turn knob=sound in kitchen

tv? simple. turn tv and cable box on via universal remote. tv is on the right input. easy.

netflix? phone call to me every damn time... its just through the xbox thats hooked up to the second hdmi input on the tv :rofl:

benyl
12-14-2012, 04:23 PM

but the people looking into these systems are the CEOs and other execs that have a very similar crestron/amx system in their boardroom. setup the GUI to look the same, bam... done. no learning curve.

The company I work for has Creston in all the meeting rooms. I am in IT and sometimes I can't figure out how to turn the damn projector on.

ercchry
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
That comes down to the gui that the programmer came up with and whoever okay'd the system signed off on... It can be easy... Or it can make no sense

dannie
12-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Whoa, this took off today. Who would have guessed that sound systems were just a contested item! lol

At the end of the day, I know that I appreciate the advice that I receive on here and in person from the few people who did come over to have a look at the house. For me, it's all a ton of information to go thru and make decisions on and it's a whole lot easier with more information. Be it good OR bad information. The little tidbits of information that people volunteer, come in handy when I start weighing options.

Same thing goes for anything that I bid out. Eventually, at the end you catch things that you would have never thought about or that you may have been misinformed about.

Either way, my sincere thanks to all of you for the help. As always, beyond delivers :clap: