PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim

black13
12-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Well not really Godzilla but this will kick any Godzilla movies ass.

Trailer
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/pacificrim/

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/07/Pacific-Rim-SDCC-Poster1-610x905.jpg

:eek: This looks gooood!
Its from the director of Hellboy so he knows how to direct unlike Michael Bay.
And there's something in the trailer fans of Valve games will recognize

Xtrema
12-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Cthulhu Vs. Voltron

BerserkerCatSplat
12-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by black13

Yeah that was pretty blatant, haha.

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

Tram Common
12-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Yeah that was pretty blatant, haha.

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

How is that a spoiler, exactly?

I always wondered if the Half Life franchise would link up with a movie... who knows... nothing's confirmed yet.

... also, just call the creatures "angels" and we have Evangelion.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common

How is that a spoiler, exactly?

I was just kidding around. Any time Valve does anything, somebody thinks it means HL3 is finally coming out.

Also, yeah, got some Eva vibe from it, but the robot designs are a real throwback. Like, Tetsujin-28 meets Getter Robo. It's got a rocket punch for crying out loud. Should be a fun film. :D

403Gemini
12-15-2012, 12:22 AM
I actually look forward in seeing this more than Oblivion or After Earth, those movies look like they want to take themselves too seriously

Tram Common
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm excited for it... shit, a few years back I was begging for more science fiction movies... somebody must have listened. :P

http://i.imgur.com/p7uiK.jpg

Tram Common
12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Gipsy Danger (American):
http://tinyurl.com/GipsyDanger

Cherno Alpha (Russian):
http://tinyurl.com/ChernoAlpha

Coyote Tango (Japanese):
http://tinyurl.com/CoyoteTango

Striker Eureka (Australian):
http://tinyurl.com/StrikerEureka

Crimson Typhoon (Chinese):
http://tinyurl.com/CrimsonTyphoon

Markll7
12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I pray this does well so that they can finally make the live action evangelion

Tram Common
12-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Markll7
I pray this does well so that they can finally make the live action evangelion

This is essentially a live action Evangelion... with its creation I highly doubt we'll see an actual one.

Some other material:

mS6kk1bTqJs

treg50
12-29-2012, 03:41 PM
... Trailer
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/pacificrim/

:eek: This looks gooood!
Its from the director of Hellboy so he knows how to direct unlike Michael Bay.

Looks pretty good. Some parts look like your average 'hey americas here problem solved' action movie. But the concept and visuals are kinda different.

It reminds me of Cloverfield (or Monsters)... like sometime after Cloverfield (or Monsters) humans had to, like the trailer says, develop some big solutions to combat big aliens.

Tram Common
01-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by treg50

Looks pretty good. Some parts look like your average 'hey americas here problem solved' action movie. But the concept and visuals are kinda different.

It reminds me of Cloverfield (or Monsters)... like sometime after Cloverfield (or Monsters) humans had to, like the trailer says, develop some big solutions to combat big aliens.

The Jaegers weren't created in America. The fighting takes place across the globe.

2Legit2Quit
07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Going to see it tonight, lots of good reviews so far. Apparently it isn't just some Transformers/Cloverfield bastard child and is actually quite good. Hope it's good! :poosie:

nj2Type-S
07-12-2013, 01:09 PM
i've got tickets to watch this on imax next tuesday. can't wait!

taemo
07-13-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of mecha shows/anime but gf and I were bored this afternoon and wanted to watch a movie that we haven't seen yet and picked Pacific Rim after seeing positive reviews of the movie.

have to say that this caught me by surprised as I just shrugged off the trailers and news about this movie but turns out it's one of my favorite action movie this summer.
way better than Man of Steel and for me, I think I like it more than Iron Man 3 as well.

nj2Type-S
07-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by taemo
I'm not a big fan of mecha shows/anime but gf and I were bored this afternoon and wanted to watch a movie that we haven't seen yet and picked Pacific Rim after seeing positive reviews of the movie.

have to say that this caught me by surprised as I just shrugged off the trailers and news about this movie but turns out it's one of my favorite action movie this summer.
way better than Man of Steel and for me, I think I like it more than Iron Man 3 as well.

sweet! good to hear! now i'm more stoked for it.

403Gemini
07-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Saw it yesterday, quite enjoyed it. Very summer blockbustery - mediocre characters and dialogue, but the animation and fight scenes were very well done... cept the last one was a bit short. I also wish they would have had more air time with the Russians and the Chinese Mechs. Coyote Tango wasn't even in it :(

From what I've read there were 10-12 fight scenes planned but due to timing they could only choose the 3-4 that were in the movie. Hope for more in a possible sequel.

Was a fun movie, would recommend - however the mathematician/physicist will likely piss you off more than make you laugh (like they tried)

Xtrema
07-14-2013, 11:12 PM
For some reason, now I want Hellboy 3.

The movie is a homage to anime, including the simple plot. Jaeger design is full of flaws for anyone with a tech background. The plot is so predictable and full of holes.

ArjayAquino
07-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Enjoyed the movie, got pretty pumped from the fight scenes. Only two things bugged me;

Why didn't they use that sword from the beginning of that fight in Hong Kong and the Gov. stopped funding the Jaeger program but I didn't see a better alternative, did they seriously think walls would work without any Jaegers at all?

Quiet10
07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Watched this yesterday afternoon and I agree, it was one of the better action movies this year so far. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than Man of Steel and a bit more than Iron Man 3. Agreed with Arjay's Spoiler.

jsn
07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ArjayAquino

Why didn't they use that sword from the beginning of that fight in Hong Kong and the Gov. stopped funding the Jaeger program but I didn't see a better alternative, did they seriously think walls would work without any Jaegers at all?

:werd: The exact same things were bothering me after the movie as well. Overall, I liked it and it's a great summer blockbuster. Considering it was a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters, it was about as good as it's going to get. There's definitely plotholes and inconsistencies, but it's a giant robot movie, so I don't expect much. I went in there expecting garbage but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Xtrema
07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ArjayAquino

The problem is while giant vs giant hand to hand combat looks cool, it tactically makes no sense. The wall makes no sense too given how quick the monsters reappears and how slow they are built. That's on top of that it's totally ineffective.

The Chinese bot is equipped with spinning blades but that got defeated quickly even with 3rd arm. The Russian one is a gen 1 (oldest) so I guess it isn't even equipped with melee weapons.

And if you want to talk about plot holes:

- The math ain't right.
- The fact the monsters are clones yet carries a baby.
- How did they extract info from a stillborn infant?
- If the Gipsy has escape pods, you would think the others should as well to avoid meaningless deaths (except direct blow to heads)
- How did they even win when all the Jaeguar are so clumsily slow?

Still it's better than Transformers.

Tezzating
07-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I slept through the last 20 minutes :angel:

If you go in wanting non-stop Monster/Robot combat action, you'll get what you want.
If you want plot and character development, you're going to the wrong kinds of movies.

But its still a better love story than Twilight.

drtoohotty1
07-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Tezzating
But its still a better love story than Twilight.

You know I how I know you're gay :poosie:

2Legit2Quit
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The problem is while giant vs giant hand to hand combat looks cool, it tactically makes no sense. The wall makes no sense too given how quick the monsters reappears and how slow they are built. That's on top of that it's totally ineffective.

The Chinese bot is equipped with spinning blades but that got defeated quickly even with 3rd arm. The Russian one is a gen 1 (oldest) so I guess it isn't even equipped with melee weapons.

And if you want to talk about plot holes:

- The math ain't right.
- The fact the monsters are clones yet carries a baby.
- How did they extract info from a stillborn infant?
- If the Gipsy has escape pods, you would think the others should as well to avoid meaningless deaths (except direct blow to heads)
- How did they even win when all the Jaeguar are so clumsily slow?

Still it's better than Transformers.

When he sees Gipsy again the asian gal mentions she's received upgrades since he last saw her, the sword being one of them most likely since he didn't think of it, and when they were flying up she's like oh yeah, there's a big ass sword to use.

As for the Marshall and the son dying , the Marshall was sick and said he wouldn't live past going into a Jager(sp) again so he was dead anyway. The son more or less said goodbye to his dad for good when he left, and I'm sure it was an honor thing of sort as to go down with the ship and not leave the Marshall by himself perhaps.

One of the big monsters being pregnant, who knows, they were cloned then 2 of them banged when they had some free time and one got knocked up? Not that crazy
to figure out.

They extracted info from the infant for the sake that all those monsters are connected some how, when Charlie from it's always sunny first drifted with the part of a brain he said afterwards that the monsters are all linked if I recall correctly, which is why one monster went looking for him thinking he was a monster then when it checked him over with his tongue it was like da fuck, this isn't my bro and peaced out. So although it's an infant, it's mind was linked to the others from what I understand. They actually explained it pretty well for being a movie that shouldn't require this much deep thinking lulzzz

ArjayAquino
07-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Agreed, I'm still going to buy this on Blueray because it was fun to watch.

Xtrema
07-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit

When he sees Gipsy again the asian gal mentions she's received upgrades since he last saw her, the sword being one of them most likely since he didn't think of it, and when they were flying up she's like oh yeah, there's a big ass sword to use.

As for the Marshall and the son dying , the Marshall was sick and said he wouldn't live past going into a Jager(sp) again so he was dead anyway. The son more or less said goodbye to his dad for good when he left, and I'm sure it was an honor thing of sort as to go down with the ship and not leave the Marshall by himself perhaps.

One of the big monsters being pregnant, who knows, they were cloned then 2 of them banged when they had some free time and one got knocked up? Not that crazy
to figure out.

They extracted info from the infant for the sake that all those monsters are connected some how, when Charlie from it's always sunny first drifted with the part of a brain he said afterwards that the monsters are all linked if I recall correctly, which is why one monster went looking for him thinking he was a monster then when it checked him over with his tongue it was like da fuck, this isn't my bro and peaced out. So although it's an infant, it's mind was linked to the others from what I understand. They actually explained it pretty well for being a movie that shouldn't require this much deep thinking lulzzz

ok. I guess the AVX is blasting too loud that I lost my hearing. :rofl:

403Gemini
07-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit

to figure out.

Correct, they explained all of the monsters were connected through a Hive Mind mentality like insects, so when Charlie connected he shared his thoughts/knowledge with all of them. This will likely lead to a sequel

Also it's not too far out to think that there was another Kaiju in the belly of the one beast - i mean they were pulling insects off of them, so rather than thinking it was 'pregnant' per SE, but rather carrying larva. For all we know it was reproducing asexually and creating offspring to inhabit/teraform our world.

FraserB
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Actually enjoyed it, would have liked to see more of Crimson Typoon and the Russian suit.

Will probably buy it on BluRay.

nj2Type-S
07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Was a fun movie, would recommend - however the mathematician/physicist will likely piss you off more than make you laugh (like they tried)

i thought this movie was pretty good, i guess. i didn't really like any of the characters and i wish they all died.

both of those physicists were extremely annoying. why were they always yelling?! LOL!

being an '80s child, i friggin loved the whole giant robots concept, though.

flipstah
07-21-2013, 01:15 AM
I liked it a lot. Would buy on BluRay and maybe as special features; maybe see how the other countries battled against the Kaiju's.

Not a spoiler but everyone knows the head is the most fragile part in the human body. It's quite complex and you'd be fucked with any hit to the head.

... So why design the control center there? :nut:

So the juice is toxic but somehow the guy survived getting swallowed by the baby...

Also, I thought you can only enter the throat with a Kaiju carcass but you can leave without it?

black13
07-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Seen it twice already in Imax. It was everything and more than I ever wanted it to be. The Hong Kong scene was one of the most intense and coolest action scenes in a movie. It's worth watching just for that alone.

The movie made Transformers look like a cartoon.

I really liked the casting and the characters too. Charlie Day, Ron Perlman, Idris Iba were all perfect. Main guy was ok but he was more so supposed to be the average looking dude.

And are you guys really talking about the science and physics behind the movie? I never saw anyone complaining about cars turning into giant robots which is 10x more unlikely as most things in this movie.

Took a bunch of people to the movie and they were all impressed as from the trailers you really think it's gonna be a generic action robot movie but it's so much more than that.

DataDyne93
07-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Here is my take on the movie:

After watching the trailer I was going into the movie expecting something like "Iron Man meets War of The Worlds"

Obviously it was nothing like it, I enjoyed the movie a lot and would recommend it!

cream
07-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I liked it a lot. Would buy on BluRay and maybe as special features; maybe see how the other countries battled against the Kaiju's.

Not a spoiler but everyone knows the head is the most fragile part in the human body. It's quite complex and you'd be fucked with any hit to the head.

... So why design the control center there? :nut:

So the juice is toxic but somehow the guy survived getting swallowed by the baby...

Also, I thought you can only enter the throat with a Kaiju carcass but you can leave without it?

I think it's cause it's the easiest and most logical part to "drop in" like they did. That, or follow Gundams and put them in the chest cavity.

flipstah
07-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Seen it twice already in Imax. It was everything and more than I ever wanted it to be. The Hong Kong scene was one of the most intense and coolest action scenes in a movie. It's worth watching just for that alone.

The movie made Transformers look like a cartoon.

I really liked the casting and the characters too. Charlie Day, Ron Perlman, Idris Iba were all perfect. Main guy was ok but he was more so supposed to be the average looking dude.

And are you guys really talking about the science and physics behind the movie? I never saw anyone complaining about cars turning into giant robots which is 10x more unlikely as most things in this movie.

Took a bunch of people to the movie and they were all impressed as from the trailers you really think it's gonna be a generic action robot movie but it's so much more than that.

Oh shit, IMAX!? Definitely gonna go to see that again!

We all loved the movie but everyone likes to nitpick. It is a discussion forum for a reason, not a compliment forum.

shakalaka
07-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Watched it yesterday. Got bored at the slower scenes when they were trying to do character development and what not. Overall not a bad entertainer I guess. Lots of cool action for sure.

flipstah
07-21-2013, 10:07 AM
The soundtrack made it worthwhile.

Loved it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: http://whatculture.com/film/10-probably-failed-attempts-at-a-measured-response-to-pacific-rim.php/7

The Redshirt Jaegars lol.

asp integra
07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
saw this last night in IMAX, awesome movie! It was literally a different version of Independence Day which is one of my favorite movies, so needless to say I really enjoyed this!

taemo
07-24-2013, 02:32 PM
another good read regarding the movie
http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.ca/2013/07/the-visual-intelligence-of-pacific-rim.html

Originally posted by flipstah
The soundtrack made it worthwhile.

Loved it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: http://whatculture.com/film/10-probably-failed-attempts-at-a-measured-response-to-pacific-rim.php/7

The Redshirt Jaegars lol.

Manhattan
07-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Reminded me of Godzilla (Kaijins), Transformers (Jaegers), Avatar (3D effects and mind controlled machines and collective consciousness), and Power Rangers (big ass monster fights destroying entire cities) all rolled up into one. Didn't know that Del Toro was directing it and from the trailers was expecting it to be complete crap. Very pleasantly surprised for the visual buffet. Could've used a hotter chick though. Asian chick was :zzz:

D'z Nutz
10-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I just got around to watching this on the weekend and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Check out this Swede. Clank-clank! haha

fRAqvsD1uxw

And a side-by-side comparison

4c1rzK6LiKg

Feruk
10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Looked... stupid.
Was... actually pretty good. I agree that some of the plot made little sense, but it was a fun movie to watch.

On a side note, I wonder if the directors really think the oceans are that shallow.

MGCM
10-10-2013, 06:37 AM
this movies feels like Godzilla crossed with Battleship, and a little power rangers mixed in lol.

89coupe
10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Great movie!

The LFE tracks in this movie were insane! Shook my entire house, redonkulous.

schocker
10-16-2013, 10:14 AM
I really liked when i watched it a few weekends ago. Good action and neat robots. I saw today also that Guillermo is working on a sequel!

RickDaTuner
10-16-2013, 11:49 PM
I recently learned that valve helped fund and produce this movie, along with oblivion as test projects to see how well they did with portal, and halflife concept realities.

The goal from what I gather is to make a HL/Portal running franchise that starts in the halflife timeline and follows through with the Portal reality.
You can hear all the little sound effects in each movie that come straight form the valve games, such as GlaDos' voice in the Jeager AIs and also the Tet AI.

In the last scene of pacific rim you can see the vortigaunt race, and the clones from oblivion are meant to be the test subject from Portal.

At any rate I'd love to see valve make a real Half-Portal movie:poosie: