PDA

View Full Version : $12,000 Budget. Audi A3/4/S4 or Merc SLK?

skousha
12-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey,

I'm looking to get a car and I have a $12,000 budget and I have a few choices and wanted to get your opinion. I've sorta narrowed it down to these:

2006 Audi A3 - Around $11,500
2004-5 Audi A4 - Around $11,000
1999 Mercedes SLK-Series (Hardtop Convertible) around $12,000

I'm looking to get a German car, and looks matter to me quite a bit, but so does functionality. I've heard SLKs are a bit feminine, so that discourages me a bit. I think Audis are pretty practical enough.

Let me know what your input is. I'm also open to new suggestions. Looking for a unique-ish car, not looking for another Huyndai.

Cheers

Palmiros
12-14-2012, 01:35 AM
You heard SLK's are feminine? Who are you buying the car for, yourself or those people?
I'd say go with whatever makes you happy. Keep in mind that expenses on german vehicles that are out of warranty, can quickly add up if something goes wrong.
Out of your listed choices, I would go with the A4 (it being quattro has a big advantage in my mind).
My suggestion would be to also consider the VW GTI.

Originally posted by skousha
Hey,

I'm looking to get a car and I have a $12,000 budget and I have a few choices and wanted to get your opinion. I've sorta narrowed it down to these:

2006 Audi A3 - Around $11,500
2004-5 Audi A4 - Around $11,000
1999 Mercedes SLK-Series (Hardtop Convertible) around $12,000

I'm looking to get a German car, and looks matter to me quite a bit, but so does functionality. I've heard SLKs are a bit feminine, so that discourages me a bit. I think Audis are pretty practical enough.

Let me know what your input is. I'm also open to new suggestions. Looking for a unique-ish car, not looking for another Huyndai.

Cheers

r3ccOs
12-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Palmiros
You heard SLK's are feminine? Who are you buying the car for, yourself or those people?
I'd say go with whatever makes you happy. Keep in mind that expenses on german vehicles that are out of warranty, can quickly add up if something goes wrong.
Out of your listed choices, I would go with the A4 (it being quattro has a big advantage in my mind).
My suggestion would be to also consider the VW GTI.

someone with a 12k budget should be looking at a civic/chevy cruze/kia forte

not a car they will spending all their disposable income into maintaining/repairing

FraserB
12-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Wow. A Beyond first.

The first two posts are dead on.

TheStigz
12-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Unique?

Volvo, Saab, Older 2003 Jaguar AWD or older?
There all unique and quirky in some ways. Maintaince not so bad as they are interchangble with American counterparts.

Volvo T5- Ford engine.
2003-2009 Saab 9-3, 9-5, etc 2.0 Ecotech engine GM, and V6 GM.
Jagaur- Ford engine, body based on the euro-counterpart Ford Mondeo.

Obviously not everything is interchangble, but like Audi and VW if you buy audi disc brakes $$$$ (depending on year of VW Passat, and Audi A4) your brakes will be cheaper if you are buying for a VW Passat. Not sure of the performance or same material grade. But they are the same size as the Audi A4.

I am suprised BMW, or VW, is not on your list.

Kloubek
12-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Are you buying this as your sole year-round car? If so, I'd sooner get something with AWD.... so much more relaxed to drive in the winter. Most A3's in your range will be FWD. However, the A3 and especially A4 are hardly unique... they're everywhere.

And Palmiros is right - you're buying the car for yourself. Who gives a crap that a few people might think an SLK is feminine. That's what some people say about the Boxster too, and I really enjoyed mine. I'm 6'0, 220 pounds, bald with a goatee. Maybe I enjoyed the contrast.

If you do decide on the SLK, try to get the 320 which has more grunt than the others. I'd suggest the 32 (which is what I'd actually like to have) but they won't be in your price range.

And while you're looking at "girls cars", I'd suggest a couple others: Audi TT and the forementioned Boxster. If this is a year round car, forget the latter... the soft roof and rwd make it less than ideal. There are also potential IMS/RMS issues but it is otherwise an exceptionally well built car. The TT can be chipped for half a grand to provide an extra 30 horsepower and 50-60 torque. The interior of the TT is a joy to have around you, and of course, the AWD gets you through the crappy stuff.

Neil4Speed
12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Since your open to suggestions, I am going to throw out

2003 Acura CL-S 6-Speed, it will come in under your budget (which leaves you room for future maintainance), very rare, decently quick, comfortable for 4 passengers, dead reliable and cheap to own and maintain.

But if your dead set on German, I would just go for a A4 (which isn't unique at all btw)

another suggestion is a 2003+ Mercedes CLK, pretty decent cars, and unique.

got_mike33
12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

someone with a 12k budget should be looking at a civic/chevy cruze/kia forte

not a car they will spending all their disposable income into maintaining/repairing

I have a 2006 Audi A3, and although I love it, I find this to be quite true. I haven't been dumping a ton of money into it, but it has been a bit more expensive than I would like a first car to be. I am hoping that if I keep this car well maintained then it will become a solid investment. At the same time I am slowly realizing that maybe I should have looked at a cheap Mazda and saved money on that.

Also don't forget the cost of premium fuel on all those cars! It's typically $5 more a tank for me, but that adds up fairly fast...

R-Audi
12-14-2012, 12:05 PM
If you find an A4 or A3 that has good maintenance records go for it!

austic
12-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Unique and Audi in Calgary are mutually exclusive terms.

nixrx8
12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Lexus IS300 RWD 5 Spd if you can find one. RWD, Lexus reliable.

XylathaneGTR
12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33

I am hoping that if I keep this car well maintained then it will become a solid investment.
Not to be a b-hole here...but what makes you think that?
It's going to cost you a bunch, and be worth a bunch less later when you decide to get rid of it. If it's beautiful you might be able to get what...500 bucks over an average mileage/wear A3 of the same year.

got_mike33
12-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

Not to be a b-hole here...but what makes you think that?
It's going to cost you a bunch, and be worth a bunch less later when you decide to get rid of it. If it's beautiful you might be able to get what...500 bucks over an average mileage/wear A3 of the same year.

All cars are depreciating assets, I would lose money on any car. The hope is that I am not dumping more money into it than the average car. I've only had it for 6 months and besides buying winter tires (which I would have had to buy with any car) and one small repair, I haven't had any huge bills yet *knock on wood*.

Tik-Tok
12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by skousha

Cheers

Subaru SVX... I don't think those have gotten enough love.

http://www.mad4wheels.com/webpics/hires/00005352%20-%201992%20Subaru%20SVX/1992_Subaru_SVX_004_9573.jpg

Kramerica
12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Subaru SVX... I don't think those have gotten enough love.

http://www.mad4wheels.com/webpics/hires/00005352%20-%201992%20Subaru%20SVX/1992_Subaru_SVX_004_9573.jpg

Nearly impossible to find one in good shape. Some guy left a note on mine claiming he was parting one out because the transmission blew and that the interior was "mint". I needed some minor interior bits, so I went there and all the leather was cracked, the interior was worn, the car was running different tires and spray painted. Guy was being pretty cocky saying that if I didn't buy the whole car by the next day he was going to rip the engine out and put it in a westfalia :facepalm: I didn't even know how to reply to him.

XylathaneGTR
12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33

All cars are depreciating assets, I would lose money on any car. The hope is that I am not dumping more money into it than the average car.
But that makes it an "investment?"

DeleriousZ
12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Can get a pretty decent example of a b5 s4 with 12k. Just have another 12 for maintenance and repair :)

muse017
12-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Can get a pretty decent example of a b5 s4 with 12k. Just have another 12 for maintenance and repair :)

That is so true :rofl: Want AUDI? Prepare to drop some G

HiSpec
12-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by nixrx8
Lexus IS300 RWD 5 Spd if you can find one. RWD, Lexus reliable.

Add LSD to that list.

skousha
12-15-2012, 12:53 AM
All good points.
See I've heard a lot about how costly it can be to repair or maintain a German car, but my first car in Calgary was a 1989 BMW 325ix with over 300K on it. I loved that little car, I treated it like hell but it always saved the day and it lasted me a year before I sold it and didn't cost me a dime to maintain it except for winter tires.

Is there a better option you think I should explore? VWs seem quite pricey to me, compared with their Audi counterparts. But I think I should still consider.

As for Lexus, I love the new gen IS350 (2006 and up) but as you all know it's way over my budget.

Other suggestions? The more input the better.

Cheers

KrisYYC
12-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Not to steer this thread off track, but I've heard a lot of people on this forum talk about Audi and expensive problems. I'm just curious if there's any specific issues with Audi's that are common? Reason I ask is I'll be considering a used Audi (I drove one for a day and really liked it) when I decide to finally buy a nicer car.

Huge inevitable repair bills could easily scare me away though.

DeleriousZ
12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
Not to steer this thread off track, but I've heard a lot of people on this forum talk about Audi and expensive problems. I'm just curious if there's any specific issues with Audi's that are common? Reason I ask is I'll be considering a used Audi (I drove one for a day and really liked it) when I decide to finally buy a nicer car.

For example, the cam chain tensioners retail for $600 apiece. That's $1200 in parts before you get started if you're in need of changing them, and they do go out once in a while.

This is for a b5 s4

Kramerica
12-15-2012, 12:22 PM
The problem with Audis is that alot of them have a habit of having the shit bagged out of them at some point in their life. I don't really understand the investment some people make into these cars for the honour of having the four rings on their car. I totally understand the performance models like the S4, but if you're just looking for the prestige factor of owning a german luxury car and want one of their generic offerings I'd generally stay away. If you do pull the trigger I'd budget spending half of the purchase price on top to fix things.

I don't mean to sound like an arrogant asshole here but I know a guy who bought a 2003ish A8 and I wouldn't ever trade something like that for my SVX. He probably spent $30k buying it, turns out the shit was bagged out of it and he's now investing a small fortune getting the heads rebuilt. In terms of it versus my SVX the A8 commands more respect, but whenever I'm out driving the SVX I find my Subaru constantly brings a smile to people's face. People will roll down their windows just to ask me about the car at stop lights and guys in old Porsche 911s seem to always wave at me as if I'm one of them, I guess I like that a little bit more than just owning another Audi.

Kloubek
12-16-2012, 12:41 AM
The SVX was a very interesting car for it's day and still looks unique. I've always had a soft spot for them.

With that said, they were far too heavy to get particularily good performance and at this age are more of what I would consider a "cult car" than a good daily driving choice.

Kramerica
12-16-2012, 03:49 PM
It's definitely too heavy and isn't a performance car, it's more of a GT cruiser. But the appeal is that it was basically a concept car that was put into production with minimal changes. I daily drive mine during the summer and it's pretty easy to live with, automatic is my only real qualm with it but it's one of the few autos I've seen from that time period that changes the shift map if you're aggressive enough with the throttle. The car only feels like a tank when you have more than three quarters of a tank of gas, I've been debating whether its worth it to just fill it up half way from now on.

relyt92
12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Saw an svx going westbound on Anderson last night, still something that grabs my attention when I see it.

DeleriousZ
12-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by relyt92
Saw an svx going westbound on Anderson last night, still something that grabs my attention when I see it.

There's always one that's parked on 36st se just south of 17th ave. They definitely have the right curves to catch your eye.

turbotrip
12-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

Carbon buildup is a pretty big issue with relatively newer Audi's (but also an issue with VW,Porsche,etc).

sillysod
12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
1) carbon issue isn't on the 1.8T's and the 2.0T's are out of your price range

The 1.8T is the cheapest audi motor to maintain, but still there are a few things that you need to make sure are done, 1st being timing belt. And if you find a CVT audi... run away.

Whoever mentioned the Acura CL-S needs to give their head a shake. I had one, terrible car, and you can expect to buy a new transmission every 2 - 3 years.

The Audi is much easier to work on than a BMW as it's essentially just a Passat with AWD. Scanning tools are cheap and the parts are used on so many different VAG products you can find stuff pretty cheap if you look around.

DeleriousZ
12-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
The 1.8T is the cheapest Volkswagen motor to maintain

Fixed that for you :P.

1.8t's are super easy to modify as well. There's SO much out there for them.

R-Audi
12-17-2012, 11:49 AM

For example, the cam chain tensioners retail for $600 apiece. That's $1200 in parts before you get started if you're in need of changing them, and they do go out once in a while.

This is for a b5 s4

Or $450 on run of the mill parts sites. (ECS) $600 may be through the dealer, but I dont know too many people with older cars that are willing to pay their rates.
Either way, a B5 S4 isnt for someone on a tight budget. They are great cars, that just happen to have the ability to cost you a lot if they arent taken care of. (But worth ever penny)

And for the guy comparing a 03 A8 to an SVX? Seriously? You would take your 18 year old Subaru over a 10 year old top of the line luxury car? I know people have a soft spot for odd cars, but at least be realistic. Sounds more like your friend didnt get the car properly inspected.. those V8s are fairly strong.

sillysod
12-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Fixed that for you :P.

1.8t's are super easy to modify as well. There's SO much out there for them.

The cheapest VW engine to maintain is the 2.0L ;) that's why I carefully put "Audi" in there.

The 2.7TT B5S4's really like to dig around in your wallet for bills mostly because they have 2 of everything the 1.8T has. However the 2.7TT still has to be one of the best motors VAG ever produced.

TheStigz
12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Why is that.. that the 1.8L turbo Vw/Audi love to eat coil packs like its breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

bjstare
12-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Whoever mentioned the Acura CL-S needs to give their head a shake. I had one, terrible car, and you can expect to buy a new transmission every 2 - 3 years.

Terrible car is a bit of an overstatment, no? I've got one with a 6MT and there doesn't seem to be any glaring issues, aside from the fact its heavy and FWD...

The AT is awful, i'll give you that.

Neil4Speed
12-17-2012, 02:19 PM

I recommended the 6-Speed which does not have Transmission problems. How was it a Terrible car? To each their own, but I really liked it from my experiences. The 6-Speeds also have an LSD which really make it a decently fun car as well. It is a front driver, but one of the best out there.

Lastly, its faster than any of the cars that the OP was originally considering, and going to be more reliable, plus cheaper to buy (There is one going locally 2003 for around 8k, thats RSX money), and (far) more unique than an A4 or A3

sillysod
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by TheStigz
Why is that.. that the 1.8L turbo Vw/Audi love to eat coil packs like its breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

They are under $30.00 for years now since the recall. The revised coil packs work great.

There was also a sludge issue with the 1.8T's but as long as it has synthetic oil it's a non-issue.

It is incredibly difficult to find a manual CL-S, but yes the manual would be light years ahead. The transmission and the fake grey aluminum looking plastic that all Japaneese manufactures seem to love was enough to make me hate that car.

Neil4Speed
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM

It is incredibly difficult to find a manual CL-S, but yes the manual would be light years ahead. The transmission and the fake grey aluminum looking plastic that all Japaneese manufactures seem to love was enough to make me hate that car.

Transmission is fair enough for sure, but the interior trim doesn't make an entire car terrible. i am also willing to bet the fit and finish of the said interior trim is going to be better than a Audi of the same vintage.

They arn't too bad to find, I see 3 for sale on Kijiji in Alberta right now, all look like good examples as well.

sillysod
12-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Transmission is fair enough for sure, but the interior trim doesn't make an entire car terrible. i am also willing to bet the fit and finish of the said interior trim is going to be better than a Audi of the same vintage.

They arn't too bad to find, I see 3 for sale on Kijiji in Alberta right now, all look like good examples as well.

The interior isn't even close. Had an '02 CL-S and my '04 A4. The fit and finish is light years better on the Audi. The handling was poor and very numb. I found that the paint was not very good on the Acura either.

However I must say that the V6 engine is probably the best V6 I have ever driven. Smooth and powerful enough to comfortably pass on the highway.

The stock 1.8T is very underpowered for the A4, it only feels "zippy" because the stock pea-shooter turbo is so peaky.

Sorry nothing personal, just my opinion. I think that the A4 is a fantastic car, but there are many many people that feel the same way about it as I do about the CL-S.

DeleriousZ
12-17-2012, 04:53 PM

The cheapest VW engine to maintain is the 2.0L ;) that's why I carefully put "Audi" in there.

The 2.7TT B5S4's really like to dig around in your wallet for bills mostly because they have 2 of everything the 1.8T has. However the 2.7TT still has to be one of the best motors VAG ever produced.

Yeah I hear you. To date my b5s4 was my most favorite sounding car I've ever owned, and it was a total joy to drive, even if the car itself was a goddamn tank. Just barely edged out my old vr6 swapped mk2 in terms of sound.

Neil4Speed
12-17-2012, 05:08 PM

The interior isn't even close. Had an '02 CL-S and my '04 A4. The fit and finish is light years better on the Audi. The handling was poor and very numb. I found that the paint was not very good on the Acura either.

However I must say that the V6 engine is probably the best V6 I have ever driven. Smooth and powerful enough to comfortably pass on the highway.

The stock 1.8T is very underpowered for the A4, it only feels "zippy" because the stock pea-shooter turbo is so peaky.

Sorry nothing personal, just my opinion. I think that the A4 is a fantastic car, but there are many many people that feel the same way about it as I do about the CL-S.

None taken, its good to have different opinions.

zipdoa
06-08-2013, 11:01 AM
UrS4 - available from $3000 - $6000.

2.2 Inline 5 Turbo - external wastegate so it sounds cool =)

227hp/268tq stock - chip = 280hp/330tq

stock motor handles 400whp.

snarly obnoxious exhaust tone, sounds like nothing else on the road. Much more comfortable and reliable than a B5/B6 chassis

MLfMsKotslc

FiveFreshFish
06-08-2013, 09:58 PM
VW Golf R32 Mk4.

DeleriousZ
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Aren't those UrS4's hard to find in even halfway decent condition these days?

zipdoa
06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Aren't those UrS4's hard to find in even halfway decent condition these days?

They aren't a dime a dozen, but I know of 3 excellent examples that popped up in the past 4 months. Just need to frequent forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6

ddduke
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Why did this even get bumped? This thread died like a year ago.