PDA

View Full Version : RE: Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

Davan
09-19-2002, 10:58 AM
As many of you will recall, I have a problem with rotten egg smell exhaust... Gas type, and octane seem to have no difference...

Well, I've come up with a theory, just wanted to see if I could be on the right track, of if I should just shut up cause I'm way off... ;)

Anyways, my theory involves not enough exhaust flow running through the system.... so sulphur (or whatever it is that makes the smell) is being deposited in the cat?

My reasoning is my driving habit. I normally don't rev the car up very high (except when racing of course) An example, I'm usually going down Macloed trail doing 60kph in 5th gear, running about 1500 rpms. I'm not revving higher in 4th gear or even 3rd. I use overdrive quite a bit...

So maybe the constantly lower revving isn't putting enough flow through the system to drive all the crap out of the exhaust?

Yes? No? Maybe? Shut up and deal with it?

Thanks for any input guys! :)

Ferio_vti
09-19-2002, 11:05 AM
60km/h in 5th?? I'm not sure about the smell, but driving at that speed and gear can't be good.
The slowest I run 5th is about 75km/h

Davan
09-19-2002, 11:10 AM
How is that not good? My car made peak torque on the dyno barely over 2000 rpms, I don't have to rev high to make driveable power.

5.9 R/T
09-19-2002, 11:16 AM
As long as your not bogging the engine it's probably better for it. Anyways it sounds like you have a faulty cat, and should take your car back to the dealership and make them change it out. I'm assuming since your car is an '01 that it is still under warrenty? Or use this as an excuse to get a new exhaust system and lose the cat entirely.

Davan
09-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Tried the dealership thing. Twice. Two different dealers. They don't want to replace it. I've spend the last year trying different brands of gas, and wasted money on higher octanes (at both dealers reccommendation) and they won't do a thing.

I don't have to replace the exhaust either, because I'm selling the car next year. I don't want to spend any more money on it. :(

5.9 R/T
09-19-2002, 11:23 AM
Is there a place in calgary to get emmissions testing done? If there is take your car there, get a test done, then take that test back to the dealership throw it in their face and tell them that they WILL replace your cat, AND pay for the test. Some dealerships will try and get out of doing warrenty work anyway they can, you have to be forcefull with them to get what you want.

Davan
09-19-2002, 11:26 AM
That's an idea... :) You think this test would show failing results because of a smell?

I was also thinking... JC Whitney sells a Catalytic Converter cleaner stuff.... junk you just dump in with a full tank of gas.... any thoughts on that? I can't seem to find any in town at Canadian Tire, Partsource, or Auto Value... but I'll order it online if it might be worth it...

Ben
09-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Cut the Cat:thumbsup:

5.9 R/T
09-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Doubtful. Because your car is so new it's probably a manufacturing defect that is causing it and not the fact that it's plugged or dirty. You will 'fail' the test if your cat is bad, which a rotten egg smell typically signifies. The test will give you and the dealership proof that your cat has failed and it's time for a replacement. And because they chose not to replace it when you asked they should be made to foot the bill for the test as well. This is all assuming there is a place to get tested in calgary.

Davan
09-19-2002, 11:50 AM
Well I just made another appointment at the dealership for next week... so we'll see what they say this time.

I think I'm even going to put the engine back to stock... just to be safe....

ninspeed
09-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Hey davan.,. I am working at jack carter now.. But you are the the only person with the problem, and i know the smell that comes from your car. I have had several cavs come down in the basement with less than 10km on them that have the same smell (all z24's, but one was an auto) i dont think it has to do with revs at all. i think the cat it self is not properly built and is untreated exaust is going though only 1/2 procesed kinda thing... Its funny.. there is a black 2003 vette in the basement that has the same smell... when i buy a 79 000 dollar car or a 22 000 dollar car i should not have to have that smell (ill talk with some techs tomorrow and see what they say)

Davan
09-19-2002, 07:59 PM
Cool! Thanks for looking into that for me, Rob. :thumbsup: I'm bringing in the car next thursday, maybe I'll see you then!

5.9 R/T
09-19-2002, 09:13 PM
Sounds like whomever is building GM's cats are suffering from quality control issues. I'd be willing to bet that theres a recall coming down the line...

ninspeed
09-20-2002, 12:20 AM
This is GM.. what is quality control??? no offence to GM drivers, but i see your car before you do, and some of the shit that is wrong with these cars is nuts.. How does a car get through "quality control" when half the car missed the paint booth, but still got clear coat??? or my favorite is auto tranny fluid in the oil drain pan.. good thing the car only had 6km on it when we caught this.. That is the biggest reason that 99% of cars in the shop right now are warrenty... i would hate to work up there

Davan
09-20-2002, 09:18 AM
Also, this is GM, what's a recall?

IE: Every single getrag tranny I know of makes a chain rattling noise. GM says it's normal.

Every single 2.4L motor I know of with over 135,000 kms has had the water pump replaced, at least once. GM won't recall that either.

5.9 R/T
09-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
This is GM.. what is quality control??? no offence to GM drivers, but i see your car before you do, and some of the shit that is wrong with these cars is nuts.. How does a car get through "quality control" when half the car missed the paint booth, but still got clear coat??? or my favorite is auto tranny fluid in the oil drain pan.. good thing the car only had 6km on it when we caught this.. That is the biggest reason that 99% of cars in the shop right now are warrenty... i would hate to work up there

Well if thats true then I would hate to see what other car makers are putting out. GM just ranked second, above toyota, below honda, in the most recent JD powers survey.

Davan
09-23-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

Well if thats true then I would hate to see what other car makers are putting out. GM just ranked second, above toyota, below honda, in the most recent JD powers survey.

But were those results not based on customer satisfaction surveys?

The majority of people out there aren't car people like us. They aren't going to complain about the small things that we pick up on...

5.9 R/T
09-23-2002, 01:22 PM
True but if GM owners do not pick on the small things, then neither do honda, toyota mazda etc. owners. Thats what we have to assume anyways, since it can't be just GM owners that do that. Besides, toyota has recently cut a whole bunch of content out of their cars, so a fall in their quality makes sense.

snowmail
09-24-2002, 09:32 PM
i had a rotten egg smell once, i thought it come from the exhaust because i only smelled it when the car was running. ends up it was the smell of my battery dying.

Davan
09-26-2002, 10:50 AM
Alright, place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

The car is at the dealership right now.

How many says I'll get a phone call saying there's nothing they can do? That it's normal? That I should try different type of gas?

Or how many say they'll actually want to replace the damn cat, finally?

Davetronz
09-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Threaten legal action Dav.
I bet there will be no replacement of the cat and they will say its normal.

Davan
09-26-2002, 01:35 PM
If they say no, I'll do what I did when they said my bumper wasn't installed crooked, when it really was. Go over their head.

Last time, I emailed GM Canada with my displeasure. About 5 hours later Jack Carter was phoning me, sucking up, asking when it was convenient to bring my car back in.

I'll get them in trouble again, if I have to. I'd hope it doesn't come down to that though.

Davan
09-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Alright. Jack Carter Chev just called.

*drumroll please*

He said GM is aware of this problem in many cars. They have a new ecu update that apparently changes something in the car (must be air/fuel or something related?) that apparently gets rid of the foul smell. So I've got a newly programmed ecu.

We'll see if this fixes it. I'm skeptical.

I think I'll dyno the car again too... to see if their new program has robbed any power...

speedracer
09-26-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Davan

I think I'll dyno the car again too... to see if their new program has robbed any power...

That would suck.. it's only a little smell...

Any current TSB's on that issue?

Davan
09-26-2002, 03:11 PM
Not that I've seen or been told about. But apparently GM knows about it enough to write a new ecu program... :dunno:

ninspeed
09-28-2002, 12:26 PM
i told them to fix your damm car this time...

Davan
10-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Well guess what?

Yep. Not fixed. :madred:

Davetronz
10-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Well geez Rob, you better tell em again... They must have forgotten...

theken
10-12-2002, 03:47 PM
go to mopac and buy some of that exhaust scent stuff, make it smell like cherries or something