PDA

View Full Version : Someone's Getting a Camera for Christmas

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
LOL

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/12/14/cops-hoping-to-get-a-break-on-82k-traffic-camera-stolen-from-calgarys-roadway?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=recommend-button&utm_campaign=Cops+hoping+to+get+a+break+on+%2482K+traffic+camera+stolen+from+Calgary%27s+roadway

Red-light cameras are designed to nab, not be nabbed.

But a strange crime, where culprits had a different vision of how things work, has left police looking for a culprit or culprits who stole a camera box and a Nikon camera between 12:45 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. on Oct. 12 in the intersection of 14 St. and Northmount Dr. N.W.

Traffic Staff Sgt. Michael Watterston said the “brazen” crime is unprecedented in this city.

“This is the first time (a traffic intersection camera) has gone missing,” he said.

“You can’t just climb up a pole and loosen a couple of bolts. It’s not just something you unplug.”

After the thief or thieves took the camera, weighing several hundred pounds, they left a live wire hanging and the traffic lights out — leading police to learn of the theft.

The whole package — the box and camera — is worth about $82,000.

And the camera, although costly, isn’t multipurpose.

“It’s not a camera you can just use at a wedding,” Watterston said.

Police believe the culprits would have needed a vehicle to pull off the theft and hope any witnesses come forward.

The city has just over thirty cameras moved around about 50 locations — both red light and speed on green.

“These traffic safety (devices) are there for a reason,” he said.

“To slow people down.”

The stolen camera is an older model which doesn’t have live-streaming video that could have offered leads to the culprits.

There are, however, numerous city-run CCTV cameras around the city which may have captured footage of the crime.

As to the motive, Watterston, is stumped.

“I don’t know,” he said.

“The only thing I can think of, was it was a prank.”

And it’s a dangerous one, he said, given the risk of being electrocuted.

Watterston said he hopes the culprit or culprits are caught and charged.

Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call Det. Rob Patterson at 403-567-6300 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477

jdmXSI
12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
lol

Modelexis
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
“These traffic safety (devices) are there for a reason,” he said.

“To scam money from the public.”

Whoever pulled this off, I would like to buy them a beer.

msommers
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
2.46 million dollars in red light camera gear alone (plus install and planning costs), all in the name of safety. They must have been betting to get a lot of revenue from that, I wonder how close they are or if they're paid off yet.

Either way, the crime is hilarious :rofl:

Sugarphreak
12-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Supa Dexta
12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
I wish more of them looked like this around the city too

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/58901000/jpg/_58901852_a90_speed_camera_bbc.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
And the camera, although costly, isn’t multipurpose.

“It’s not a camera you can just use at a wedding,” Watterston said.

Is that so? I know for a fact the old cameras were Nikon D2X's, and the Crime Stoppers report indicates it was a Nikon that was taken.

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
it probably is a D2x, they just said it wasn't so that other people wouldn't steal them :-P

98type_r
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I can't see how these rigs could possibly cost $82,000.

Supa Dexta
12-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Cause its gov't

J-D
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Finally, some criminals I can get behind. :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
it probably is a D2x, they just said it wasn't so that other people wouldn't steal them :-P

Hah, fair enough! I learned they were D2X's back when I was still rocking a D50 - there's a redlight camera a block from my house and I sometimes wondered what it would take to make off with it. :angel:

kvg
12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Whoever pulled this off, I would like to buy them a beer.

:werd:

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
I can't see how these rigs could possibly cost $82,000.

Camera, lens, giant flash, housing, external storage, wired in to the lights and sensors in the ground. Government markup...

D'z Nutz
12-14-2012, 11:30 AM
It's the fucking Calgary Sun. They probably misquoted it.

“It’s not a camera you can just use at a wedding,” Watterston said. "You can use it at sporting events, for commercial photography, and even family vacations!"

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
hahaha...nice

Xtrema
12-14-2012, 11:33 AM

O Rly?

That's worth $400 on eBay.

black13
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
haha that's awesome. Took some balls to do that in an open space at an intersection, especially since the cop station is just a couple blocks north at john laurie.

And isn't that the only intersection that has camera on both north and southbound?

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by black13
haha that's awesome. Took some balls to do that in an open space at an intersection, especially since the cop station is just a couple blocks north at john laurie.

And isn't that the only intersection that has camera on both north and southbound?

definitely not the only one, macleod at 162nd/sundance is also both north and south. not sure if there are any others.

Kloubek
12-14-2012, 11:43 AM
If I saw a camera post with wires sticking out of it and something obviously amiss, I'd slow down to look at it. As such, the setup may just be doing an equally good job without the camera equipment installed at all.

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 11:57 AM
just not generating any revenue...now they're going to up the fines to pay for another $82k camera :poosie:

98type_r
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Camera, lens, giant flash, housing, external storage, wired in to the lights and sensors in the ground. Government markup...

So the actual value of the equipment that was stolen probably wasn't worth $82,000 but instead they're reporting the price of an entire setup at the intersection including all the fixed (non-movable) hardware like the flash.
Or the government markup is just that high.

urrforce
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
lol this story made finals week a lot lighter to deal with

good job thieves although it kinda sucks that the people will probably have to foot the bill to replace it

Go4Long
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r

So the actual value of the equipment that was stolen probably wasn't worth $82,000 but instead they're reporting the price of an entire setup at the intersection including all the fixed (non-movable) hardware like the flash.
Or the government markup is just that high.

the flash is movable, it's mounted to the box...but yes, they're probably quoting the complete installed cost per unit.

JRSC00LUDE
12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
I hope this is the first in a widespread rash of theft and vandalism of red light and ESPECIALLY speed on green cameras. :thumbsup:

BrknFngrs
12-14-2012, 01:27 PM

the flash is movable, it's mounted to the box...but yes, they're probably quoting the complete installed cost per unit.

Now I can't stop picturing someone using that flash at a wedding :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
12-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I hope this is the first in a widespread rash of theft and vandalism of red light and ESPECIALLY speed on green cameras. :thumbsup:

X2!

LOL at the police asking the public to come forward with information so they can get back to fining said public ASAP.

Would have preferred it to be a speed on green camera though.

And yes, those speed camera boxes house a Nikon D2X. I don't know what the lens setup is, but assuming it isn't welded to the camera or something like that, it would be a perfectly functioning camera I would think. It's not a valuable camera though.

AllGoNoShow
12-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Nice, they use the same D2X for the multinova vans then too I believe.

:clap: :clap:

schocker
12-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Lol. This is the one that got me once too, so I can stand by this theft :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
12-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Nice, they use the same D2X for the multinova vans then too I believe.

:clap: :clap:

Yep, last one I saw was a D2X with a 24-85 AF-D.

Shlade
12-14-2012, 01:41 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

Maxt
12-14-2012, 05:16 PM
They need to find these F'ers immediately.........And give them a medal.

SHO
12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
I be thinking the 82,000 dollars loss reported includes the revenue loss generated for this camera. Just say'in ;)

Maxx Mazda
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

X2!

LOL at the police asking the public to come forward with information so they can get back to fining said public ASAP.

Would have preferred it to be a speed on green camera though.

And yes, those speed camera boxes house a Nikon D2X. I don't know what the lens setup is, but assuming it isn't welded to the camera or something like that, it would be a perfectly functioning camera I would think. It's not a valuable camera though.

That camera is (was?) a speed on green unit. Ask me how I know...

KISS_ME
12-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I may be wrong about this but I've read before the speed on greens isn't actually sensed by the camera. Instead it's a sensor placed into the ground right before you cross the intersection which triggers the camera to take the picture. Each lane is placed with a sensor, making it very hard to counter with an argument the speeder was the buddy next to you and not yourself.

rage2
12-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
I may be wrong about this but I've read before the speed on greens isn't actually sensed by the camera. Instead it's a sensor placed into the ground right before you cross the intersection which triggers the camera to take the picture. Each lane is placed with a sensor, making it very hard to counter with an argument the speeder was the buddy next to you and not yourself.
This is correct. That's why everytime you legally turn right on red, the damn camera goes off non stop haha.