PDA

View Full Version : Toyota left a tool under the hood...

bh87
12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
About a month ago I took my 2005 4Runner to a local dealership (Stampede Toyota) for an oil and filter change (crankcase) and got talked into a t-case fluid change and new spark plugs total: $395

Yesterday while driving heard a strange noise coming from under the hood, just checked this morning and found that the tech had left an impact wrench under the hood!! The noise was the wrench bouncing around near the passenger headlight!

Called the dealership this morning and all they cared about was getting their tool back. No apology, no concern, just said come by and bring our tool back and we can perform a visual inspection.

Why do I want to trust them to perform future service they suggest if they don't care when they make a mistake? and why do I trust the service they suggested even needs doing?

Last time I was in the suggested the following service:
the timing belt and water pump replaced for $900 (even though it was done 65,000km's ago by previous owner at 145,000kms)
the front axle boot for $1,800 as the CV boots are tearing
tranny service $150
power steering flush $70
brake flush $330
major fuel service $150
front and rear diff fluid service $110
cabin filter $60
Total: $3,570

Any opinions or suggestions on what I should do?

Zigo
12-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Look for damage, keep the impact wrench.

top_speed
12-15-2012, 12:17 PM
What brand is the impact wrench? And what size? I'm might be interested in buying if its a Mac or snap on lol

dj_rice
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Sell the impact wrench. Drive back to the dealer and ask for a visual inspection. When they ask where the tool is, say you didn't remove it and it must of fell off on the drive to see them.

My_name_is_Rob
12-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I would question why they were using an impact wrench on your vehicle to begin with. And if they were using it to install the new spark plugs, I would probably never go back there.

Also how is it 1800 to replace axle boots? Are newer 4 runners really tricky?

AE92_TreunoSC
12-15-2012, 12:36 PM
It's not 1800$ for boots, something has to be lost in translation.

It's a mistake, and they happen, but they should own up to it. I think they don't want to admit liability until they see what has happened though.

I'd keep the tool, the tech won't learn if you return it. I've lost lots of little tools but something that big is inexcusable.

Try Countryhills next time, it will impress you, and if a mistake happens they are very swift about correcting it.

Rat Fink
12-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Ven
12-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Give the tool back and carry on with you day like you have a pair of nuts. Then be thankful whenever you make an error in your work somebody doesn't go all fucking panic cry baby on some internet forum like your tampon leaked and the fucking sky is falling. God help us if you ever have any real issues in life to deal with you fucking sissy.

msommers
12-15-2012, 01:07 PM
^:rofl:

Which Toyota dealership was that?

My_name_is_Rob
12-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by bh87
About a month ago I took my 2005 4Runner to a local dealership (Stampede Toyota)

Originally posted by msommers
^:rofl:

Which Toyota dealership was that?

:dunno:

msommers
12-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I definitely missed that haha. Thx.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Give the tool back and carry on with you day like you have a pair of nuts. Then be thankful whenever you make an error in your work somebody doesn't go all fucking panic cry baby on some internet forum like your tampon leaked and the fucking sky is falling. God help us if you ever have any real issues in life to deal with you fucking sissy.

Agreed, except for giving the tool back. Keep it. Tech will learn how to count his tools next time.

SR54RNR
12-15-2012, 02:10 PM
About a month ago I took my 2005 4Runner to a local dealership (Stampede Toyota) for an oil and filter change (crankcase) and got talked into a t-case fluid change and new spark plugs total: $395

Yesterday while driving heard a strange noise coming from under the hood, just checked this morning and found that the tech had left an impact wrench under the hood!! The noise was the wrench bouncing around near the passenger headlight!

Called the dealership this morning and all they cared about was getting their tool back. No apology, no concern, just said come by and bring our tool back and we can perform a visual inspection.

Why do I want to trust them to perform future service they suggest if they don't care when they make a mistake? and why do I trust the service they suggested even needs doing?

Last time I was in the suggested the following service:
the timing belt and water pump replaced for $900 (even though it was done 65,000km's ago by previous owner at 145,000kms)
the front axle boot for $1,800 as the CV boots are tearing
tranny service $150
power steering flush $70
brake flush $330
major fuel service $150
cabin filter $60
Total: $3,570

Any opinions or suggestions on what I should do?

I have a 2005 v8 runner also, and I'm a red seal mechanic by trade.

-timing belt and water pump are apparently good for 140,000kms. so I personally wouldnt get it done at this time.
-CV boots can be repairable, depending on the state of them at the moment.
transmission flush is not a bad idea. I would let them do it. the trans doesnt have a dipstick, so doing it yourself is tricky
power steering flush, I wouldnt bother
brake fluid flush, I wouldnt bother
major fuel service, I wouldnt bother
front and rear diff service, I would do it. I do those myself, pretty easy with minimal tools.
cabin filter - CDN tire sells them for about $20. its located in the glove box behind a cover, easy to do yourself.

as for the impact wrench.. just tell them to swing by your place and pick it up. I dont see why you should have to bring it to them.

Tram Common
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SR54RNR
as for the impact wrench.. just tell them to swing by your place and pick it up. I dont see why you should have to bring it to them.

x2.

Redlyne_mr2
12-15-2012, 03:07 PM

I have a 2005 v8 runner also, and I'm a red seal mechanic by trade.

-timing belt and water pump are apparently good for 140,000kms. so I personally wouldnt get it done at this time.
-CV boots can be repairable, depending on the state of them at the moment.
transmission flush is not a bad idea. I would let them do it. the trans doesnt have a dipstick, so doing it yourself is tricky
power steering flush, I wouldnt bother
brake fluid flush, I wouldnt bother
major fuel service, I wouldnt bother
front and rear diff service, I would do it. I do those myself, pretty easy with minimal tools.
cabin filter - CDN tire sells them for about $20. its located in the glove box behind a cover, easy to do yourself.

So as someone claiming to be a tech why in the world would you not suggest changing brake and power steering fluids?

Kramerica
12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Tell them your keeping the impact wrench for a little bit to retorque your spark plugs.

Cos
12-15-2012, 04:00 PM

HO2S
12-15-2012, 06:40 PM
How do you even know the impact was used on your vehicle. The tech could have been working on a different car and put it on the rad support and it fell in.

I pull out plugs with my air ratchet all the time and on ford 3 valve 5.4L I use my impact. A bunch of years ago labor times were knocked down because of air tools. I use my air ratchet and impacts more than my hand drivers.
Technicians are humans also. We forget things just like every one else. Tools are fucking expensive, I have about $50 000 of them so when I forget one and some one brings it back, you are my hero.

When a c.v boot rips open, I don't just put a boot on it. you don't know how much grease is left in the joint and how much damage has been done. You replace the whole axle. Replacing boots is a thing from the 80's and 90's.

How is the dealer supposed to know when your last timing belt has been replaced. Really flushing fluids is called preventative maintenance, it prevents you from have really high repair bills.

Kramerica
12-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by HO2S
When a c.v boot rips open, I don't just put a boot on it. you don't know how much grease is left in the joint and how much damage has been done. You replace the whole axle. Replacing boots is a thing from the 80's and 90's.

How is the dealer supposed to know when your last timing belt has been replaced. Really flushing fluids is called preventative maintenance, it prevents you from have really high repair bills.

I'm no mechanic, but I'm fairly certain an inspection of an axle can determine whether you can replace just the boot or if it has taken enough damage that it warrants replacing the whole axle. Even if the tech did replace both CV axles $1800 is a ridiculous price.

As for the timing belt the guy said it was done recently, why not trust the actual person instead of just assuming they're lying? I've never heard of doing power steering fluids as a preventative measure, I wouldn't even do brake fluids unless I'm changing rotors or was experiencing problems but I can see the argument for it. Maybe they should get a power steering heater installed for cold weather starts as well :nut:

As for using impact tools for spark plugs, I'm glad me and my dad do my maintenance/repairs if there are mechanic out there that actually do that.

SR54RNR
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

So as someone claiming to be a tech why in the world would you not suggest changing brake and power steering fluids?

OP seems worried about the cost of repairs that apparently need to be made right now... in my opinion, a failure related directly to contaminated brake/steer fluid is not very likely, in the near future, based on the vehicles age, and also on the vehicles reliability reputation.

D'z Nutz
12-15-2012, 09:53 PM
No apology, no concern, just said come by and bring our tool back

Reminds me of when Calgary BMW locked my keys in the car when they were doing a servicing and they wanted me to bring them the spare. During rush hour.

If they want it, make them come get it.

FraserB
12-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Have them pick it up. If you are too close, leave it with a friend in Cochrane or Airdrie. Or just keep it and say you never called then if they ask.

If a tech doesn't care about his tools enough to keep them sorted, guess how much he cares about your car?

cloud7
12-16-2012, 12:18 AM
This actually happened to a friend of mine who got his car serviced at the local Lexus dealer. It wasn't an impact wrench, but it was big enough to make a nasty noise under the hood and god knows what damage it inflicted. Not sure what you should ask for in terms of compensation, but having the dealer do some of the expensive service for free would be nice... that is if you still want them to do more work to your vehicle.

Kolbatron
12-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
If a tech doesn't care about his tools enough to keep them sorted, guess how much he cares about your car? :thumbsup:

know1edge
12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I can only assume that none of you have EVER misplaced any of your tools, sockets, or even ANYTHING

natty54
12-16-2012, 03:46 PM
The tech is human. Just return it and move on

Tik-Tok
12-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
I can only assume that none of you have EVER misplaced any of your tools, sockets, or even ANYTHING

If I misplace my tools, it could end up with an airliner crashing into your neighborhood. No. I don't.

...Except when I'm working on my car at home and put down a socket that then takes me 5 minutes to find again. :rofl:

Jeeper1986
12-16-2012, 04:07 PM
tech is human tech is human........ dealer techs or the workers there have shitty reps to start with.

Also a damn spark plug doesnt need an impact to tighten it or loosen it unless the spark plugs have never ever been changed and rusted to shits..

People and I have read and came by soo many threads about people having a shitty deal at a dealer.. keep the rachet and sell it to get some of ur money back.

This is a good point also...

If a tech doesn't care about his tools enough to keep them sorted, guess how much he cares about your car?

Edit.

I am soo glad and lucky to have a father as a mechanic for over 45+ years that i have taken and learend some of his ways to know and fix my own cars and close friends

Proyecto2000
12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
interesting, I have never had an issue at Stampede Toyota and I have been servicing my Lexus there for 3 years now.

FraserB
12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

It takes 30 seconds to look over the engine bay of the vehicle you just worked on to make sure that nothing is left in there. It takes another 30 seconds to look at your tool chest to verify everything is there. Put tools away as you go and you'll never lose one again. If you need to have it out a lot, use one of those little magnetic trays that keeps everything in one place.

So in response to your question, no I have NEVER left a tool in an engine bay that I have worked on. This also isn't just a small socket that go left, if is an impact gun.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I've lost tons of tools but I've never expected them back, and I've never lost anything larger than a small screwdriver.

I usually lose small tools during interior trim work, it'll roll under a seat or under the carpet and will never be found again.

I've found more tools in cars than I have lost. I've found a snap on flash light, 3/8 swivel and a few other pricey items.

PS. Lots and lots of dealer techs use small impacts on spark plugs, never for final tightening, but for removal and run down. It's up to the tech's discretion. If they fuck up, they fix it for free.

max_boost
12-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Ven

Good. SOFA KING GOOD!

Seth1968
12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
OP,

Forward this thread to Stampede Toyota.

..lest the morons on Beyond conclude negligence and armageddon without hearing the other side of the story.

Oh wait, they've already done that.

SR54RNR
12-16-2012, 07:56 PM
just too add, the 4th gen 4Runners have a large steel skid plate under the engine that protects the oil filter. the impact gun was most likely used to remove and replace the skid plate. the dealer R&R's the skidplate to prevent oil spilling on the plate and causing a mess afterwards.

95EagleAWD
12-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Ven

Props for a perfect answer, sir.

Sentry
12-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I've lost tons of tools but I've never expected them back, and I've never lost anything larger than a small screwdriver.

I usually lose small tools during interior trim work, it'll roll under a seat or under the carpet and will never be found again.

I've found more tools in cars than I have lost. I've found a snap on flash light, 3/8 swivel and a few other pricey items.

PS. Lots and lots of dealer techs use small impacts on spark plugs, never for final tightening, but for removal and run down. It's up to the tech's discretion. If they fuck up, they fix it for free.
Yeah I use my dinky little 1/4" hex shank impact to run them out and then back in. Time is money. They get de-torqued and re-torqued by hand of course.

I have a hard time believing anyone dumb enough to "torque" plugs with an impact could hold a job. Guy just set it in the engine bay and had a moment of shitty luck.

PS: Keep it or he won't learn. :D

Sentry
12-17-2012, 02:39 AM
PPS: If it's Mac or Snapon or IR sell it to me for 50bux :poosie:

HO2S
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Kramerica

I'm no mechanic, but I'm fairly certain an inspection of an axle can determine whether you can replace just the boot or if it has taken enough damage that it warrants replacing the whole axle. Even if the tech did replace both CV axles $1800 is a ridiculous price.

As for the timing belt the guy said it was done recently, why not trust the actual person instead of just assuming they're lying? I've never heard of doing power steering fluids as a preventative measure, I wouldn't even do brake fluids unless I'm changing rotors or was experiencing problems but I can see the argument for it. Maybe they should get a power steering heater installed for cold weather starts as well :nut:

As for using impact tools for spark plugs, I'm glad me and my dad do my maintenance/repairs if there are mechanic out there that actually do that.

Im going to go ahead and assume that you have never taken a c.v joint apart, or really know how they work. And yes, some axles can be $1000 each before labor.

Over time the powersteering pump naturally wears causing little fragments of metal in the fluid. The metal in the system will act like sand and wear everything out. A simple fluid flush will save the pump, rack or box, and any other component in the system.

Brake fluid naturally absorbs water. Brake fluid flushes are recommend every 2 years. Once the fluid have over 3% water in it the fluid can boil causing a loss of brakes.

Fraser, Im a very clean and organized tech. My box has 19 drawers in it. There has been times I have lost a socket and its been a week before I found out.

FraserB
12-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by HO2S

Fraser, Im a very clean and organized tech. My box has 19 drawers in it. There has been times I have lost a socket and its been a week before I found out.

19?

:drool:

I can totally see losing a small item, but not leaving an impact. My main point is that it is something that would be easily caught if the tech does a quick once over of the engine bay before closing the hood.

Keeping it is a pretty low thing to do, but the dealer should give you something for the hassle.

HO2S
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM

19?

:drool:

I can totally see losing a small item, but not leaving an impact. My main point is that it is something that would be easily caught if the tech does a quick once over of the engine bay before closing the hood.

Keeping it is a pretty low thing to do, but the dealer should give you something for the hassle.

Because it's a slow day at work, I just counted. I have 285 sockets and 12 air tools.
I see what your saying, but you would be really suprised on were things fall and how even a once over will not catch forgotten tools. 3 weeks ago I forgot my code reader in a customers car. I even took out the paper floormat the my shop uses and I still didn't see it. That was the last time I saw that tool.

JRSC00LUDE
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
This thread makes me think OP needs help choosing his clothes each morning.

jjmac
12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Ven

:werd:

jaylo
12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
This thread title should be

"Toyota left a tool behind the wheel"

Ouch for a $395 charge but hey, if you don't like getting ass raped, learn to DIY for your next service instead of whining about a tool left in the engine bay

thetransporter
12-24-2012, 02:45 AM
tranny service $150
power steering flush $70
brake flush $330
major fuel service $150
cabin filter $60

Spend all that money to make more problems....

Odds are they will screw up , forget a gasket, or connect a plug/wire. or leave a dildo in your drivers seat.......

Alak
12-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Wheres this dealership? I want a free impact gun with my next service.

Darkane
12-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Ven's post was awesome.

Take the tool back for fuck sakes. That's an Alpha move, not some Beta pussy internet shit.

Fuck.

JRSC00LUDE
12-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Alak
Wheres this dealership? I want a free impact gun with my next service.

Right on the corner of You're an Idiot St. and Stupid Moron Ave.

Jsen-DC2
12-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
tranny service $150
power steering flush $70
brake flush $330
major fuel service $150
cabin filter $60

Spend all that money to make more problems....

Odds are they will screw up , forget a gasket, or connect a plug/wire. or leave a dildo in your drivers seat.......

coming from a dealer tech myself, i didnt spend 10gs and 2 years of my life to learn how to screw over every customer and do shit work on vehicles, i work on around a thousand vehicles a year easily with maybe about 1 re-inspect. Thats including everything from small maintainence work to overhauls. If you dont spend that money you will get more problems, i doubt you were schooled in anything automotive.

and OP return the tool, i doubt that you have never lost a pen in your cubicle
:banghead:

bignerd
12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Well since you don't sound like the mechanically inclined type that would have much use for this tool, I would tell them to send someone over to pick it up.

cancer man
12-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Here's how tools are mostly lost.
Service advisor gets a phone call calls you away from a job to answer a
question and you simple forget.
If you have any kind of pride return the tool and have your vehicle looked at
if any damage has occured.

I will bet not one tech out has never done this.
Better in your car than a doctor leaving someting in your body.
Be a man and don't be a prick about it.Shit happens.

hurrdurr
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Whoever suggested keeping it is a fucking pussy. I hope you lose your wallet and someone calls you to tell you they found it but they're going to keep it and all of your money

bh87
12-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your taking the time to read and post in this thread.

Here is an update:

I spoke with Stampede Toyota again about a week ago now and as was suggested to me, I asked for someone from their dealership to drop by and pick up the tool and that I would be willing to arrange to bring it to my office with me if business hour pick up was the only option. They have yet to get back to me to arrange something so I still have the tool in my possession.

In the meantime, I ended up taking my 4Runner to another dealer (Heninger Toyota). After I mentioned that I was concerned about the possibility of damage under the hood due to an error at the other dealer, they offered to perform a full inspection at no charge.

After the inspection was complete, I received a call from the service writer who assured me that no damage was present under the hood but the CV boots were torn and needed attention. It was mentioned that no noise was audible from the CV joint on a test drive but that just replacing the torn boots would be ~$900 ($450 per side) or I could have both axles replaced for ~$1,200. Also, because there was very little grease left in the torn boots, if I just replaced the boots this may only be a temporary fix. So I decided to just to spend the $1200 and solve the problem.

They performed the work and I picked it up same day. They changed the front and rear diff fluid and installed new CV axles and charged me $1,070.00 out the door and thanked me for my business.

403Gemini
12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Cool story bro.

Why don't you just go down to Stampede Toyota and drop off the tool? Is it REALLY that much of an inconvenience? I fucking hate this entitlement generation :rolleyes:

thetransporter
12-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Jsen-DC2

coming from a dealer tech myself, i didnt spend 10gs and 2 years of my life to learn how to screw over every customer and do shit work on vehicles, i work on around a thousand vehicles a year easily with maybe about 1 re-inspect. Thats including everything from small maintainence work to overhauls. If you dont spend that money you will get more problems, i doubt you were schooled in anything automotive.

and OP return the tool, i doubt that you have never lost a pen in your cubicle
:banghead:

yes but you are the very few who actually care about customer. No wasnt schooled in automotive. But have been screwed a few times by dealerships. .

FraserB
12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Cool story bro.

Why don't you just go down to Stampede Toyota and drop off the tool? Is it REALLY that much of an inconvenience? I fucking hate this entitlement generation :rolleyes:

Having them pick it isn't entitlement. If it is out of OP's way, why is it his job to go fix their mistake? I doubt the dealer would be running all over Calgary to return a lost cell phone. It would be "you left your phone, come get your shit".

msommers
12-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Having them pick it isn't entitlement. If it is out of OP's way, why is it his job to go fix their mistake? I doubt the dealer would be running all over Calgary to return a lost cell phone. It would be "you left your phone, come get your shit".

Bingo :thumbsup:

Everyone makes mistakes but the onus isn't on the vehicle owner to deal with it. Simple really.

Tik-Tok
12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Cool story bro.

That statement right there is more a demonstration of the entitlement generation, than the OP.

It's the "Oh, everyone makes mistakes, the customer is no longer right, even when it's obviously he is" type of entitlement. Who cares about being professional in your career anymore right? It's just a job, right? YOLO man!

This isn't his buddy who worked on his car, this isn't some shady backtree mechanic that he was only paying $30 an hour for. Sure mechanics lose tools, BUT A FUCKING IMPACT WRENCH???? That's NOT a small screwdriver, or something. ONE look around the engine bay before closing the hood, and anyone with half a brain would have seen it.

Then to have the dealership, basically dismiss the whole thing on him without an apology? That's just outright sad.

People never taking responsibility is 75% the reason we have an entitled generation. They never think it's THEIR fault.

SKR
12-28-2012, 08:50 AM
If it was me, I'd have to take it back. It's a thing of, I have something that isn't mine. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, and it's not my responsibility to teach the mechanic or the dealership a lesson. If it was me that lost something, I would appreciate it if someone took their own time to return it. It wouldn't matter to me if the mechanic or the dealership had the same appreciation for when I did it. It's a matter of personal pride and knowing that I took an opportunity to be a good person.

403Gemini
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That statement right there is more a demonstration of the entitlement generation, than the OP.

It's the "Oh, everyone makes mistakes, the customer is no longer right, even when it's obviously he is" type of entitlement. Who cares about being professional in your career anymore right? It's just a job, right? YOLO man!

This isn't his buddy who worked on his car, this isn't some shady backtree mechanic that he was only paying $30 an hour for. Sure mechanics lose tools, BUT A FUCKING IMPACT WRENCH???? That's NOT a small screwdriver, or something. ONE look around the engine bay before closing the hood, and anyone with half a brain would have seen it.

Then to have the dealership, basically dismiss the whole thing on him without an apology? That's just outright sad.

People never taking responsibility is 75% the reason we have an entitled generation. They never think it's THEIR fault.

I don't disagree or argue it was a bone headed move on the dealerships behalf to leave a tool there and certainly a simple "oops sorry!" would be expected, but I wouldn't make a thread about it and piss and moan about it if it happened to me. I'd take the tool back and case closed, shit happens. It's that simple. Feeling like anything else is deserved / earned because of a case of human error/mistake, THAT is the entitlement issue. Keeping the tool , that is theft. They didn't leave it there on purpose, they didn't give the OP the tool, they accidentally left it there.

If you left your jacket in your friends car, do they now own your jacket? One look around, you would have seen it in the back seat - but guess what, you forgot it because you were likely side tracked. Again - shit happens and you deal with it. Chances are your friend will give it to you the next time you see them. In this instance, if it's an "inconvenience" to stop by there any time in the future and the dealership isn't in any hurry to have it back, hold onto it until the next service and give it back. It's just that simple.

I believe everybody should be held accountable for their job, but if I was the customer I wouldn't make a huge stink about this and try and get anybody fired over this. That mechanic has bills to pay and possibly a family to feed so why make a mountain of a mole hill? No damage was found, so harm no foul. Hell, I would have even left the tool with Henninger and asked them to drop it off at Stampede toyota since he went there for there inspection/additional work.

When I had Telus install my phone/internet, the tech left a few tools in my basement. Should I have kept them? No, they're not mine - I called the tech and said I was heading out for the day and I could meet up with him if he's in my area but he just asked I leave them in my mailbox and he'd pick them up later that afternoon. But hey, I guess I should have kept them because I deserved them? (Whatever logic that is...) :rolleyes:

Seth1968
12-28-2012, 10:34 AM

I don't disagree or argue it was a bone headed move on the dealerships behalf to leave a tool there and certainly a simple "oops sorry!" would be expected, but I wouldn't make a thread about it and piss and moan about it if it happened to me. I'd take the tool back and case closed, shit happens. It's that simple. Feeling like anything else is deserved / earned because of a case of human error/mistake, THAT is the entitlement issue. Keeping the tool , that is theft. They didn't leave it there on purpose, they didn't give the OP the tool, they accidentally left it there.

If you left your jacket in your friends car, do they now own your jacket? One look around, you would have seen it in the back seat - but guess what, you forgot it because you were likely side tracked. Again - shit happens and you deal with it. Chances are your friend will give it to you the next time you see them. In this instance, if it's an "inconvenience" to stop by there any time in the future and the dealership isn't in any hurry to have it back, hold onto it until the next service and give it back. It's just that simple.

I believe everybody should be held accountable for their job, but if I was the customer I wouldn't make a huge stink about this and try and get anybody fired over this. That mechanic has bills to pay and possibly a family to feed so why make a mountain of a mole hill? No damage was found, so harm no foul. Hell, I would have even left the tool with Henninger and asked them to drop it off at Stampede toyota since he went there for there inspection/additional work.

When I had Telus install my phone/internet, the tech left a few tools in my basement. Should I have kept them? No, they're not mine - I called the tech and said I was heading out for the day and I could meet up with him if he's in my area but he just asked I leave them in my mailbox and he'd pick them up later that afternoon. But hey, I guess I should have kept them because I deserved them? (Whatever logic that is...) :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

end thread, FFS, end thread

thetransporter
01-06-2013, 05:11 AM

I once purchased food items at Safeway, to donate to a shelter. I noticed I was not charged for a few things after looking at the receipt while walking to the door. So without thinking I go to Customer service and explain - to my surprise the CSR gave me attitude.... when I explained I was not charged and i would like to pay.

So much for the generation of entitlement.

TheStigz
01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Can I please get my impact wrench back?

The reason why it was in your car was because I was doing tires on the left hoist and yours on the right.
I left it by your car as the plugs had to be done, so left it there while using hand tools to do your spark plugs.

I was multi-tasking, and got in shit by the service manager for coming in late.

Please can i have my tool back? If you dont want to drop it off thats fine, i can come over.

Thank you :)

bh87
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
TheStigz, you have a pm.

cr0n1c
01-11-2013, 03:10 PM

x3.

msommers
01-11-2013, 11:18 PM
The best part would be if The Stigz was a random looking for a free impact wrench :rofl: