PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Bike Trainer thread

Super_Geo
12-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey guys, looking to get some advice on what kind gear to get for a bike trainer setup.

Any recommendations? I was just at MEC and they had the Elite Fluid Alu for $240 (link (http://)), was just about to pull the trigger but didn't know how it compared to the other brands. The MEC salesman was pretty useless, but the online reviews seemed ok.

Also looking to get all my Garmin ANT+ gear (HR monitor, speed/cadence sensor) hooked up to my Galaxy S3... is it possible to w/o having to attach some USB sensor to the S3?

From: ANT Radio Service for Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsi.ant.service.socket&hl=en)

ANT+ enabled phones:
Any device with USB Host feature and a connected ANT USB stick.

HTC
- Rhyme

Motorola
- MOTOACTV

Sony Ericsson / Sony
- Xperia acro S
- Xperia ion
- Xperia S
- Xperia active
- Xperia arc
- Xperia arc S
- Xperia mini
- Xperia mini pro
- Xperia neo
- Xperia neo V
- Xperia pro
- Xperia ray
- Live with Walkman
- Xperia X8*
- Xperia X10 mini*
- Xperia X10 Mini pro*
* May require system update.
(Note that the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is not included on this list, it does not include the necessary hardware).

msommers
12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I have the Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine. I compared it to a couple like the cyclops and something else at The Bike Shop and the road machine was definitely quieter. Personally I think it's a greater trainer and would definitely recommend it.

Penguin_Racecar
12-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I have the CycloOps Fluid 2 trainer. Put about 1500km on it so far I think. I like it, but have lmited experience with other trainers so I can't say it's better/worse than others.
On Friday Dec 21 Bow Cycle has 25% off all trainers - might be worth checking it out.

bigboom
12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Go down to Bow and pick up the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or the Cycleops Super Magneto pro. I own the Super Magneto Pro and it is just as quiet as the ROad Machine if not a touch quieter. Both of them ride very similar to resistance you would find on the road. Most other fluid trainers end up leaking and other magnet units are just junk.