PDA

View Full Version : Bad start to X-mas - debris on road tore a chunk off of front lip!

rx7boi
12-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Well, bad luck finally hit me and coming home late last night around 11:30PM I hit some sort of huge rubber stopper which tore off a chunk of my front lip :( I brought the piece of debris home and took some pictures but I think it's a wheel stop from a semi. I hit this damn thing after picking the gf up and heading home on Mcknight past Barlow next to the Sentinel storage buildings.

I'm thinking of just taking off the remainder of the black bottom strip and sanding the edges out. Gots to stay positive :) I don't think the City covers for any of this, am I correct? Shit happens and move on but it does suck haha.

http://s12.postimage.org/hxp3dy7ot/image.jpg
http://s12.postimage.org/xx7qxi3ql/image.jpg
http://s12.postimage.org/3tt85k0h9/image.jpg
http://s12.postimage.org/3v35yz2b1/image.jpg
http://s12.postimage.org/5beoh457x/image.jpg

Remember to drive safe folks and Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Kijho
12-16-2012, 01:26 AM
How did you not see that on the road lol. Fuck, that's like a foot high.

RickDaTuner
12-16-2012, 01:45 AM
That's a wheel chock for a backhoe, or other heavy equipment.

Pretty tough to pinpoint that to one single truck.

Sorry for the misshap man, shit just happens sometimes

K3RMiTdot
12-16-2012, 02:12 AM
remove the black piece then it looks okay again! haha just a thought.. :P

Ignore if thats part of the front bumper.. i have no idea what the bottoms of the genesis looks like

rx7boi
12-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Kijho
How did you not see that on the road lol. Fuck, that's like a foot high.

Haha, I don't drive a 4x4 man!

My front lip isn't THAT high from the ground, maybe 4-5 inches from the ground and it was dark out!

Black Gts
12-16-2012, 03:45 AM
That is definitely a wheel chock. The idea of that getting caught in a trailer tire and dropped a couple blocks away should be a reminder to all how stupid some of the trucking industry has become. A few bad apples, etc. Give truckers room and assume they are idiots. (Pretend they can't see you ever like a motorcycle, and get out the Fucking way)The amount of debris and shit coming of trucks is silly, myself being in the industry(although not really hauling) I kinda laugh a bit and seriously hope to never make the news or cause a thread. Haha if only everyone would give a shit the industry wouldn't be covered in a giant blanket. Sorry for rant, I need to stop browsing after midnightm:D

syritis
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
That's a wheel chock for a backhoe, or other heavy equipment.

Pretty tough to pinpoint that to one single truck.

Sorry for the misshap man, shit just happens sometimes

they're also required for any semi truck trailer to use them in a loading dock. often the driver just toss them on a hook under the trailer with the tire chains. if this end broke/fell off be grateful you didn't hit the other end that still has the full choke and chain.

lilmira
12-16-2012, 01:56 PM
That's shitty luck. I hit a chunk of snow/ice once and broke my under engine plastic cover thing. That's 300 and some dollars.

The vehicles in front of you might have enough clearance so they just go right over. By the time you see it, you can either slam on your brakes or swerve, either one of those options is tough to do on a busy road.

Sentry
12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Yesterday around noon I saw some dude on McKnight in the spot you described with a red genesis pulling a big black chunk of something out from under his car.

Sincerely,

That asshole that drove by instead of stopping. :D

SlickA70
12-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Just cut that black peice off and you'll have yourself a Blitz bumper.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2050/1341/5123170007_large.jpg

rx7boi
12-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Yesterday around noon I saw some dude on McKnight in the spot you described with a red genesis pulling a big black chunk of something out from under his car.

Sincerely,

That asshole that drove by instead of stopping. :D

Haha, yeah I actually went back to see if I could find anything else.

Short of going to insurance and paying a deductible, is there any recourse for when something like this happens?

The city is not responsible for debris on the roads which causes damages because otherwise any joe blow can go to them asking to be comped, right?

SlickA70
12-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi

Haha, yeah I actually went back to see if I could find anything else.

Short of going to insurance and paying a deductible, is there any recourse for when something like this happens?

The city is not responsible for debris on the roads which causes damages because otherwise any joe blow can go to them asking to be comped, right?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

If something hits your car and its not a street sign or pot hole (in which case you dont get shit anyways), your really just sol.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in?

lilmira
12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I remember someone said that hitting an animal is the driver's fault for insurance companies' concern. I assume hitting a stationary object is no different. I guess you could say that the thing fell off the truck in front of you and you had to pull over and had no time to read the plate.

Find out how much that thing is, I'll be surprised if it's more than a few hundred bucks. That's not worth bothering your insurance company IMO.

rx7boi
12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
I remember someone said that hitting an animal is the driver's fault for insurance companies' concern. I assume hitting a stationary object is no different. I guess you could say that the thing fell off the truck in front of you and you had to pull over and had no time to read the plate.

Find out how much that thing is, I'll be surprised if it's more than a few hundred bucks. That's not worth bothering your insurance company IMO.

Truth, the lip itself didn't cost me more than 3 bills, plus another 150 to get it painted.

I'm not gonna go claim this and raise my premiums, guess I'll just stick with my original plan and cut off the rest of the black piece haha

syritis
12-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

last time i dealt with a collision with a coyote, insurance considered an "act of god" so all i had to pay was deductible for full repairs.

lilmira
12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
So God hates coyotes? ;)

syritis
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
and hyundai's

Rat Fink
12-16-2012, 10:10 PM

DeleriousZ
12-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Might want to take a look under the car to make sure you didn't put a dent in your oil pan or something with that beast bouncing around under there.

clem24
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
The amount of debris and shit coming of trucks is silly, myself being in the industry(although not really hauling) I kinda laugh a bit and seriously hope to never make the news or cause a thread. Haha if only everyone would give a shit the industry wouldn't be covered in a giant blanket.:D

+1. I really hate dump trucks, especially on a fast moving road like Deerfoot or Crowchild. It seems every time they hit a bump, a shit load of debris like gravel, dirt, or in the winter, huge chunks of dirty ice and snow, always dislodges and comes smashing into my car.

Sentry
12-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I was road testing a brand new Tacoma after doing a PDI on it this morning and a logging truck going the other way chucked a big god damn rock at me and took out the windsheild. 18km on the odo.

rx7boi
12-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
I was road testing a brand new Tacoma after doing a PDI on it this morning and a logging truck going the other way chucked a big god damn rock at me and took out the windsheild. 18km on the odo.

Damn man, good thing you're okay.

So I'm guessing the customer got to save themselves a trip and didn't come to pick up their new car? haha

ianmcc
12-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Any commercial vehicle is 100% responsible for ensuring the integrity of the load it is carrying. If a gravel truck-no loose gravel on the outside of the truck as it is considered part of the load.
(4) A driver, a carrier or an owner of a commercial vehicle shall
ensure that cargo transported by a commercial vehicle is contained,
immobilized or secured so that it cannot
(a) leak, spill, blow off, fall from, fall through or otherwise be
dislodged from the commercial vehicle