PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Ford Fusion SE

SmAcKpOo
12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard good things about this car?

Reviews are generally positive on the internet and I am picking one of these up in 2 weeks.

I got the 2.0L Ecoboost engine with the appearance package without all the leather and I picked up the NAV and technology package too.

Came in at ~26500 after rebates/trade.

240HP/270lb torque.

Not a bad vehicle in my opinion and it looks amazing.

Rat Fink
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Aleks
12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-best-family-sedans/

Here's a review from a Canadian auto site. Granted these were the smaller engines.

waypastfast
12-17-2012, 04:03 PM
That sounds like a great deal! What did you trade in?

suntan
12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Overall its a nice car, but I don't think its miles ahead of the previous model like I was hoping to see. Don't let my comments scare you because even the asian cars have their problems too (even though the asian fanboys will never admit it). The Corolla S was the biggest piece of shit I have driven in the last couple years and I'd personally take a Fusion any day over one of those horrible wastes of resources.....same with the horribly bland honda offerings (That aren't any more reliable- you fags that think so just have rose colored glasses on). My GFs car, other than oil changes/tire rotations, has only had 1 speaker replaced and a reprogram of her SYNC to the latest level. I've barely had to do any work to Fusions other than the odd reprogram of something and basic maintenance......probably in the neighborhood of working on 5-10 Fusions over the past 3 years and all relatively minor issues. The biggest job I ever did on a Fusion was replacing the PTU (its like a transfer case) in an AWD model because some retard tow-truck driver decided to tow it 50km with the back wheels on the ground and the front wheels on a dolly - even then it was only a half-day job. Fusions are remarkably reliable, according to CR. Probably the most reliable mid-size sedan out there, actually.

The Corolla is an embarrassment. Had one for a rental. What a piece of shit.

SmAcKpOo
12-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Traded in a 2003 Civic SiR.

What prompted me to buy this car was that my Civic had so many problems from day 1 I am just tired of putting money into it and dealing with Honda's terrible customer service.

I pick it up on the 28th so I will post some pictures.

Is getting the protection package from the manufacturer worth it? They want 1300$ for the undercarriage spray, scotch guard interior, and paint protection.

Graham_A_M
12-19-2012, 09:43 PM
^ Lol, no that is not worth $1300. Those packages are typically a license to print money for the dealerships. When I used to work for one, they'd offer big incentives for selling that package just because of the profit they'd make each time they sold one. The paint protection takes 30min to put on yourself, the undercarriage spray is nowhere near as good as an actual asphalt undercoat (unless thats specifically what it is, back when I was a detailer it was just a spray can application which did little to nothing). The scotchgard interior protectant is just typically a spray can coating of your seats. One you can do yourself for $20 tops. You can get that coating at most specialty detailing stores such as one of the forum sponsers here.

Originally posted by suntan
Fusions are remarkably reliable, according to CR. Probably the most reliable mid-size sedan out there, actually.

The Corolla is an embarrassment. Had one for a rental. What a piece of shit.

While I'd agree with CR wholly on all accounts including your experience with the Corolla, I'd generally avoid Consumer reports all together.

I found them to be the most biased, clueless people ever to review a car, but that shouldn't be overly surprising given the same "reviewers" for the cars are also the same people that review coffee makers, blenders & kid strollers. :nut:
I found their reviews to be very vague, biased and reeked of favoritism towards certain brands over others.
To this day nothing they say over any car/brand has an ounce of sway of any decision I'll ever make towards any future purchase. :dunno:

heavyD
12-20-2012, 09:53 AM
The 2013 Fusion IMO is stunning. Maybe the all-time best looking affordable sedan. I can't get over how good the car looks. Unfortunately my 2012 Mustang was not a shining example of reliability which makes me hesitant about purchasing another Ford. I realize that cars from all manufacturers can have issues but a brand new car shouldn't have constant problems akin to a 10 year old DSM on it's fourth owner.

Nitron88
12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
I've driven the previous version of the fusion and was floored at how much I liked it. With the new front AM DB look, its a winner for sure!

Great selection, hope you enjoy it lots.

Cos
12-20-2012, 11:07 AM

94boosted
12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Nice choice OP, these cars look fantastic.

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo

Is getting the protection package from the manufacturer worth it? They want 1300$ for the undercarriage spray, scotch guard interior, and paint protection.

F**k No! As Graham said these packages are an absolute joke. The 'paint protection' is basically just a wax/paint sealant, wax the car yourself twice a year and the paint will hold up much better than with the crap they're trying to sell you. Scotch Guard = $15 and 20 minutes of your own time. See what the price for just the undercarriage spray is (assuming it's actual undercoating) if it's a few hundred bucks it might be worth getting. Something you should look into is getting a 3M Clear Bra from them, phone around some local calgary shops to get an idea of what it should cost first though.

ExtraSlow
12-20-2012, 11:48 AM
I bought a new van in the spring, and I knew I was getting the 3m. Shawdo Tint had a better price and they covered more areas of the car. Also, I trust shadow tint more too. I don't trust the minimum wage moneys that the dealership hires.

heavyD
12-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I bought a new van in the spring, and I knew I was getting the 3m. Shawdo Tint had a better price and they covered more areas of the car. Also, I trust shadow tint more too. I don't trust the minimum wage moneys that the dealership hires.

I don't know of many dealers that actually apply 3M themselves. They usually get other companies to do it as I know Shadow Tinting does a lot of stuff for the dealers located in the area on Macleod Trail. The problem is the dealers that use lesser companies like Calgary Autospa that simply shouldn't be doing 3M because they suck at it so bad.

Graham_A_M
12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Cos
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/thecosworth/IMG_20121219_120425.jpg nice car but those rims kill it. Too bad it's a FWD, since a mild staggered set up would look bad ass.

Like what 94boosted said, the "paint protection" is basically a fancy wax job, very little else. You can buy the wax and sealant to use for $15/pack, and it's good for at least one application. Call Car Brite if you want the stuff dealers use, but it's not very good stuff at all. Two packages would last us three car applications basically.

403Gemini
12-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
The 2013 Fusion IMO is stunning. Maybe the all-time best looking affordable sedan. I can't get over how good the car looks. Unfortunately my 2012 Mustang was not a shining example of reliability which makes me hesitant about purchasing another Ford. I realize that cars from all manufacturers can have issues but a brand new car shouldn't have constant problems akin to a 10 year old DSM on it's fourth owner.

I may have missed the thread (if I did please link it)

If there was no thread, what happened with the mustang? And why did YOU buy an STI out of all things? I thought you hated subaru? ;)

heavyD
12-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I may have missed the thread (if I did please link it)

If there was no thread, what happened with the mustang? And why did YOU buy an STI out of all things? I thought you hated subaru? ;)

Why do people think I hate Subaru? I've been critical of them but no more than I am with Honda, Toyota, Ford or other manufacturers. I'm not a brand loyal guy.:)

Sugarphreak
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Twenty
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo

The rest is easy to do yourself, it's the undercoating that I would definitely get. I wouldn't buy a new car without it, if it was going to see winter.

Originally posted by heavyD

I don't know of many dealers that actually apply 3M themselves. They usually get other companies to do it as I know Shadow Tinting does a lot of stuff for the dealers located in the area on Macleod Trail. The problem is the dealers that use lesser companies like Calgary Autospa that simply shouldn't be doing 3M because they suck at it so bad.

I can't speak for other dealers, but we do ours in-house with one tech who is a 3M Certified installer. He did parts of my Focus in fact, with myself and another coworker. Perfect job.

SmAcKpOo
12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Anyone recommend someone who does the undercoat spray? Hopefully not just the spray can crap but a good product.