PDA

View Full Version : Debating between 2 programs

dilovan92
12-17-2012, 05:54 PM
hello everyone my name is Dilovan i currently live in calgary and had a few questions . I am 20 years of age and am upgrading a few high school courses. The first program i had in mind was to complete my diploma in architectural technologies which is 2 years then transfer to a Bachelor of technology in technology managament which is also 2 years on top so 4 years for both. If i choose this way i only need to upgrade 1 more class. Upon graduating i will have a diploma in Architectural technology and a bachelors in technology management. With this degree i can do project managing,engineer managing, construction managing you can look in up on Nait website. My other choice was engineering either electrical or oil and gas if i do engineeering i would have to upgrade 3 more classes. which will take me an extra year.

I know i wrote a lot but i am debating and would like some help Thanks guys!!

ExtraSlow
12-17-2012, 07:11 PM
I think you need to work out what kinds of things you enjoy doing and what you're good at today.

Don't pick education based on how long it takes, pick based on your own interests and desires.

Neil4Speed
12-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Make a list of the jobs that will be in high demand for your working future and then find one that your interested in.

Disoblige
12-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi Dilovan,

Is there one you prefer over the other at the moment? In my opinion, the Diploma route is easier to complete. If you're having to upgrade some high school classes, you may or may not have trouble when you do get into engineering. I don't know you at all so I don't know if you were just slacking in high school, or if certain subjects in school just isn't your forte. A lot of people can get into engineering, but that doesn't mean they can survive 4 years of it. Also, as an engineer, you can be on the management side as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. Just wanted to let you know what you would be getting into if you decided on upgrading to get into engineering, so you won't be one of those people who do 1-2 years and get weeded out, or simply drop out. Time is money afterall.

sabad66
12-17-2012, 08:35 PM
When you mention engineering as your other choice, do you mean an engineering degree at a university like UofA/UofC? Or do you mean an engineering technology diploma like from Nait/Sait?

dilovan92
12-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Hello guys and thanks for the replies. Yes unfortunately I did slack in high school thats why im upgrading . When I said engineering thats what I meant I would do a degree from the uofc or the diploma to bachelor of technology . I guess that I must make the choice myself as it is my future any more thoughts would be much appreciated thanks again

The BMW Guy
12-17-2012, 11:49 PM
What courses do you take right now that interest you?
What are your grades like right now?

I can't help you with Nait/Sait, but I'm in Engineering at the UofC currently.
Why do you want to go into Engineering O&G or Electrical at the UofC?

dilovan92
12-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
What courses do you take right now that interest you?
What are your grades like right now?

I can't help you with Nait/Sait, but I'm in Engineering at the UofC currently.
Why do you want to go into Engineering O&G or Electrical at the UofC?

Thanks for replying and well I got 82% in English 30-1 and 73% for physics 30 next is math 30-1 I would go to mount royal for 1 year and do first year engineering then transfer to u of c and most likely electrical engineering the minimum entrance is 65% at mount royal obviously I will get higher then 65%

smokedog
12-18-2012, 08:50 PM
The only words of widsom i can give you is take a few years off and work at various places and jobs(health, education, corporate, etc.). Hopefully, you will find a career that you are passionate about