PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions involving Wireless Bridges

-relk-
12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
I am moving into a new place for uni come January, and unfortunately I am stuck with wireless as the router will be too far from my room.

Here is the situation, I have a desktop with no wireless adapter as of yet, I have 2 roomates who will be gaming a lot, and they have laptops. Now, would it be more feasible to buy a wireless bridge, put that downstairs in our gaming area, and have all of us connect to it via a wired connection, or would it be just as good to get a $30 USB wireless adapter and set that up for myself? Orrrr, would getting a powerline kit and doing the same thing as the wireless bridge be better? I simply want the most reliable connection (sucks to be going wireless) method, doesn't need to be the fastest, because the vast majority of what we will be doing is gaming.

Some more info on the setup, Dlink DIR-655 router upstairs, and we will be setup one floor below it (not sure how far exactly). Thanks for any help!

codetrap
12-19-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm using that router as a wireless bridge. It's one of the undocumented features that you can access by altering a browser setting. It's a hidden setting that's hidden by CSS formatting. It's called bridge mode.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fa6ba255c73629a603668386cd8cb57&topic=4542.msg44467#msg44467

Alterac
12-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Personally, I would use a Coax Ethernet kit, and run completly wired.

2nd option would be Powerline (the new AV2 standard) then wired switch

3rd option wireless bridge (5ghz N) then wired switch

4th option just wireless N

lint
12-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I paired my DIR-655 wih the DAP-1522 when I needed to extend my network http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/connect/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges/dap-1522-xtreme-n-duo-wireless-n-access-point

worked great, simple setup, stable. I only used it for media streaming.

no need for it anymore. let me know if you're interested in going this route, it's just sitting around along with the router