PDA

View Full Version : bears den?

winson2001
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
http://bears-den.ca/

anyone tried it? a friend is talking big on it... but hes one of those that i dont trust for food reviews....

Disoblige
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=254477

winson2001
12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
ahh hidden in a threat, thx

Disoblige
12-18-2012, 04:57 PM
The thread is old, so maybe others could chime in on more recent visits.

jsn
12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I've only been there for brunch twice and IMO, it's mediocre. The food definitely isn't bad but alot of it is hit or miss. Some items they bring around are great, while others are sub par. Some items were also very inconsistent. I.e., the meatballs they were bringing around, one time it was very dry and hard while the second time it was moist and fairly good. I'd probably go back again though. Not a bad brunch overall, just not the best. If you're going for brunch, make sure you go before 12 or 11. Earlier the better. The second time we went, we didn't book very far in advance so the only time we could get was after 12. Very little selection after 12.

I haven't tried the dinner on the other hand, so I don't know how that is.

Disoblige
12-18-2012, 06:36 PM
jsn, Bear's Den and bside bistro are different. Well, I mean they are and they're not. I don't think it's fair to judge them based on their buffet brunch on the other side.

I agree with you, the bside bistro brunch is meh. I love the idea of them bringing you items as you eat, but quality wise it's average to above-average, and somewhat inconsistent. I hate their guacamole cannoli, haha.

jsn
12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Sorry I often confuse the two. First time I went, I was just told we were going to the bears den so I keep on associating the two. I didn't know they were separate until the second time I went. Yes I believe it was Bside Bistro we went to. I wasn't judging them purely based on the brunch. Like I said, I never tried the dinner so I have no idea whether or not its good. I was just giving my opinion of the brunch on the other side. I assumed they used the same kitchen since they're in the same building and everything.

Maxx Mazda
12-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I've had dinner at Bears Den about 5 times (parents used to live right across from there, so we'd meet them all the time.)

The food is decent, but for what you pay and the small portion size it is DEFINITLY sub-par. My biggest gripe is the service. Last 3 times we were there we had complete moron waiters. The last time we actually asked for another waiter our first one was so bad and had the worst attitude. All were consistently poor however, reaching across me to pour while I was eating, forgetting to bring another round of drinks, even the most basic shit like asking the women their order first (seriously, how do you fuck that up??) A typical dinner for two will run close to $200-$250 with nice wine and drinks, you better kiss my ass pretty hard for a good tip, not just expect that you'll get one because the bill is high, and continue to be rude and inconsiderate...

That was over a year ago, I vowed never to go back, however I might give it ONE more try. The atmosphere is nice and the caesars are excellent.

suntan
12-19-2012, 12:00 PM
First time I went it was very slow (restaurant was packed). They apologized by phoning me and mailing a $50 GC. So I went again, it was very quiet that time, food came out really quick. Food though both times was great.

There are no windows in that building, it would make a good zombie fort.

winson2001
12-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by suntan

:thumbsup: now I know where to go eat when the zombie apocalypse happens ^^

thx all for input

lilmira
12-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Decent food, classy joint, very roomy inside. The server didn't like it when I told him my wine is a bit bitter for my taste. Not really complaining, he asked so I answered truthfully lol.

eblend
12-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Our companies christmas party was there, and i thought it was meh, nothing special. Wouldn't go there with the wife.

jsn
12-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by suntan

Funny how you mention this. Every single time I leave the building, I'm blinded by the light outside. It's pretty dark in there haha