PDA

View Full Version : Noticeable increase in police presence on the roads

DeleriousZ
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Has anyone noticed in the last few days the huge increase in police presence on the roads? I've noticed a lot more cruisers and vans driving around the southeast and inner city, and a lot more people pulled over.

Is this just due to the holidays coming so they're cracking down on speeding and liquor infractions or what?

GS430
12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
My guess would be because of the holidays. I notice this every year mid-late December.

:dunno:

Go4Long
12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
/waits for Toma to post comment regarding nazi/communist/etc regime.

dubhead
12-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
/waits for Toma to post comment regarding nazi/communist/etc regime.
:rofl:

FullFledgedYYC
12-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I personally have not noticed it.... strange.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Is this just due to the holidays coming so they're cracking down on speeding and liquor infractions or what?

December is a hard month to make quota, since there's a good week at least that a lot of people aren't driving as much, and cops want the holidays off too.

Gotta make up for it early.... not that there's a ticket quota system :rofl:

Masked Bandit
12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
I haven't noticed anything but I'm mostly just on the road during rush hour(s).

:dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Noticed it in the NW too, almost the end of the year...

hrdkore
12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
end of year, end of month and lots of holiday parties going on.

ercchry
12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
got pulled over :notices insurance broker in thread: err... a "friend" got pulled over on 9th ave friday evening, 9th ave! by a black ghost car doing laser! "oh we have had a lot of people getting t-boned pulling onto 9th around here lately, try to slow it down"

... thats the solution?! how about breathalyzing the idiots pulling out of the x-mas party venue instead :nut:

BigMass
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
snapped this one two days ago while walking down Stephen Ave. Pretty rough out there
http://a403.idata.over-blog.com/600x433/0/48/92/28/Histoire/39-45/gestapo.jpg

GS430
12-19-2012, 04:05 PM
^^ sweet instagram photo. What filter is that?

FullFledgedYYC
12-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
got pulled over :notices insurance broker in thread: err... a "friend" got pulled over on 9th ave friday evening, 9th ave! by a black ghost car doing laser! "oh we have had a lot of people getting t-boned pulling onto 9th around here lately, try to slow it down"

... thats the solution?! how about breathalyzing the idiots pulling out of the x-mas party venue instead :nut:

People getting t-boned has nothing to do with speed... that would be people running reds or turning left when not safe. Good attempt at justifying himself though...

BigShow
12-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I noticed a Checkstop at an entry point into Banff over the weekend!

KappaSigma
12-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Direct correlation.

More asian drivers on Calgary roads. :poosie:

89s1
12-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

People getting t-boned has nothing to do with speed... that would be people running reds or turning left when not safe. Good attempt at justifying himself though...

If someone is speeding it is easier for another motorist to misjudge the amount of time they have to make a turn in front of the oncoming car.

Now, This isn't a problem for everyone, but there are more bad drivers out there than good.

How can you not make this connection? Honestly.

toastgremlin
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
There are a few cop cars on Shaganappi the last few days, one of the cops seems to be tinkering with the stoplights.

Disoblige
12-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

If someone is speeding it is easier for another motorist to misjudge the amount of time they have to make a turn in front of the oncoming car.

Now, This isn't a problem for everyone, but there are more bad drivers out there than good.

:werd: or a car that is speeding on 9th Ave, and paying less attention to a car that is turning left due to the rate of speed.

FullFledgedYYC
12-19-2012, 07:31 PM

How can you not make this connection? Honestly.

That's pretty pathetic. A car could be coming down 9th going 100 and I guarantee I wouldn't get in a collision as I am not stupid enough to turn in front of it. I guess people really are THAT stupid.

syritis
12-19-2012, 07:40 PM
haven't noticed, count still stands at 5 (non accident) vehicles seen pulled over by either cps, rcmp or airdire peace in the last year.

ps. i drive nearly 100kms per day.

black13
12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
There are a few cop cars on Shaganappi the last few days, one of the cops seems to be tinkering with the stoplights.

There's two of them, one at the 32 ave and usually one at the one north of it, both in front of market mall. Those two control the lights so market mall traffic light doesn't get jammed. Happens every year around this time. Wonder if the mall pays them to do that because its the only mall I've noticed it happening at. Turning lights on shag north are usually short from the mall so they get jammed quickly this time.

Go4Long
12-19-2012, 07:57 PM
They do it at chinook too.

sr20s14zenki
12-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
snapped this one two days ago while walking down Stephen Ave. Pretty rough out there
http://a403.idata.over-blog.com/600x433/0/48/92/28/Histoire/39-45/gestapo.jpg

Hahaha, well played sir, well played.

89s1
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

That's pretty pathetic. A car could be coming down 9th going 100 and I guarantee I wouldn't get in a collision as I am not stupid enough to turn in front of it. I guess people really are THAT stupid.

You give people way too much credit.

It really is amazing just how oblivious the general public is behind the wheel.

The fact you don't notice this speaks volumes.

ianmcc
12-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Seen a few CPS ghost vehicles around (I drive over 100km/day withing the city limits not counting the commute).
Two to watch out for-the black Ford pick up and the silver Durango. I saw them working together on Ogden road-opposite sides of the road about a block apart.

FullFledgedYYC
12-20-2012, 10:23 AM

You give people way too much credit.

It really is amazing just how oblivious the general public is behind the wheel.

The fact you don't notice this speaks volumes.

Nahhh... I'm with you. There certaintly are a lot of clueless drivers out there.