PDA

View Full Version : The Thank-You Wave

sexualbanana
12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I like to do the thank-you wave. I know, from my perspective, it's a little annoying when you let someone in and they don't thank you, so I like to make a point of doing it.

However, my rear window is tinted and, although it can be seen during the day, probably can't be seen at night. So do you do anything different for a thank you wave, if it's dark?

Dave P
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
A quick flash of the 4 ways is what I do as a thank you wave.

Abeo
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I got into using the hazards as a thank you when I drove a truck

Disoblige
12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
let your hazards flash once.

lilmira
12-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Some people are very thankful during snowstorm, they leave the 4ways on to thank everybody.;)

I do the wave in the city. I use 4ways on highway for truckers since they sit too high to see the wave.

ddduke
12-19-2012, 02:59 PM
I either do the 4 way flash or I pop my hand out the window.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Flash the 4-ways.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I wave quite often... unfortunately my tint in the back is pretty dark, so I don't think a lot of people see it, lol.

DeleriousZ
12-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Yep, I do the 4 ways as well. Most people know what it means, if they don't, then I don't really mean to thank them anyway :D

max_boost
12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
A simple wave does wonders to the stress levels of a motorist. Always wave or put on the blinkers or I will even roll down the window and wave.

D'z Nutz
12-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Weird, I've never even heard or seen of the 4 way thank you until now.

I do the wave.

Or sometimes the black power.
http://justpiper.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/black-power.jpg

GS430
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Because of tint, the wave sometimes goes un-noticed. I'll usually flick my hazards, or open my window/sunroof and wave.

Mibz
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Hazards, though now that I drive a car with red signals instead of yellow I have a feeling that it gets lost in translation. So if somebody REALLY goes out of their way to do something nice I'll roll down the window.

403Gemini
12-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
A simple wave does wonders to the stress levels of a motorist. Always wave or put on the blinkers or I will even roll down the window and wave.

So true, its amazing what a hand up can do ... I can go from complete rage to perfectly calm in a split second. (I swear A LOT when i drive lol)

Tomaz
12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Wave during the day, hazards at night, and the over-eccentric floppy wrist wave in summer with the sunroof open. lol

GS430
12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Wave during the day, hazards at night, and the over-eccentric floppy wrist wave in summer with the sunroof open. lol

haaaaai thaaanx

:rofl:

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-gay-seal-meme-cartoon.jpg

TomcoPDR
12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Do any of you sometimes wave BACK to the person in front?

Boosted131
12-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Open the sunroof and wave/ finger them depending on situation .

Supa Dexta
12-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, 4 ways or usually a quick double tap of the brake. A lot of the time you can see in tinted windows enough to see the shadow wave.. I hate no wave though :guns:

jwslam
12-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Yeah, 4 ways or usually a quick double tap of the brake. A lot of the time you can see in tinted windows enough to see the shadow wave.. I hate no wave though :guns:
Double high beam "you're welcome, bitch!"

Tomaz
12-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by GS430

haaaaai thaaanx

Cant see pic on work comp :(

But yeah, sometimes it looks retarded if trying to shift, steer, smoke, open sunroof, wave, and shoulder check at the same time. Kinda messes with the flow. lol

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Yes. Usually only after someone fucks up and waves "sorry" to let them know that "it's ok bro. I got your back". lol

ercchry
12-19-2012, 04:29 PM
you guys sure you all live in calgary? the only hand gesture i every see is the bird

Kloubek
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I almost always use my 4 ways if I don't think they can see through my rear window. (Also tinted).

If my driver's window is open in the summer (as it usually is) I'll wave out the side window instead of a rear-window wave. Actually, the side-window wave is usually a cool two-finger "how ya doin"-type gesture, whereas the rear-window wave is usually of the more traditional variety which varies from frantic back and forth to a simple hand up, depending on my mood.

Originally posted by ercchry
you guys sure you all live in calgary? the only hand gesture i every see is the bird

Really? I have a spot in my commute where there's always people merging off McKnight and I get a wave at least 1/3 of the time.

I might also add that to acknowledge a wave, I'll usually give a subtle wave back... or at least a lifting of a few fingers off the steering wheel. In the dark, I'll give a quick high-beam flash in response. That way, these people know I appreciate the gesture and perhaps they'll be more likely to continue doing it for others.

Of course, what I'm *really* likely doing is blinding people with my high beam. So be it.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Yup, always give the wave-back.

TIL about the single-hazards, I had no idea that was a thing. I've never seen it.

Disoblige
12-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Of course, what I'm *really* likely doing is blinding people with my high beam. So be it.
What if they think: "Wtf, I thanked the fucker and he high beams me? Fucking dickkkk.."

lilmira
12-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Most transit drivers flash 4ways unless you haven't yielded to one ever. ;)

DeleriousZ
12-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Most transit drivers flash 4ways unless you haven't yielded to one ever. ;)

Yup, I usually yield for them and 95% of the time get the 4 ways.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

TIL about the single-hazards, I had no idea that was a thing. I've never seen it.

Neither did I. I mean I've seen tractor-trailers do it, because you can't see them wave, but only once have I actually seen a normal driver do it, and for a moment I thought "MutherFucker, I let him in, and now he's broke down in front of me!" :rofl:

Supa Dexta
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Quick high beam, or light flick to let semi's in once they've cleared your car will get you hazards in return.

95teetee
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

So true, its amazing what a hand up can do ... I can go from complete rage to perfectly calm in a split second. (I swear A LOT when i drive lol) that applies to either the 'thank you' wave or the 'yes I know I just did something very stupid' wave.

Ntense_SpecV
12-19-2012, 06:12 PM
I let in 2 garbage trucks and got the 4-way flash back. At first I didn't realize they were saying thanks, but I realized my stupidity and caught on. Now I don't wave unless it's in the daytime as I also have a tinted back window, so I do the hazard flash as my thank-you.

jsn
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

So true, its amazing what a hand up can do ... I can go from complete rage to perfectly calm in a split second. (I swear A LOT when i drive lol)

Same with me haha. As soon as they wave, all the road rage is gone instantly. Such a simple gesture but yet so many people don't do it. I almost always wave thanks.

krazykhoja
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
I do the wave during the day and 4-way at night. Glad other ppl do it also. I always think at night I use the 4-way and the guy behind me has no idea, and doesn't realize I'm saying thank you.

It does piss me off when ppl don't say thank you when you go out of your way to let them in. But when ppl do, like someone else said it makes a huge difference to road rage. Such a simple gesture, it amazes me how many ppl don't do it.

JZS_147
12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

Because you drive like a dick

Mibz
12-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147
Because you drive like a dick To be fair, I flipped him off once when he wasn't driving like a dick.

Unknown303
12-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Quick high beam, or light flick to let semi's in once they've cleared your car will get you hazards in return.

:werd: That's always a feel good moment on my drive to work.

Originally posted by Disoblige

What if they think: "Wtf, I thanked the fucker and he high beams me? Fucking dickkkk.."

Then he brake checks you and you rear end him. That would be an amusing outcome.

86max
12-20-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm surprised more people don't use their rear sunshades :dunno:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/86MAX/beyondthanks.jpg

urrforce
12-20-2012, 10:58 AM
always wave dont have a window tint problem

and dont wave back to drivers but pedestrians who wave will get a head nod or something to acknowledge their thanks.

ercchry
12-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147

Because you drive like a dick

"hey Jimmy i need to grab my bike from the train station, want to drive my car back"

get to train station, get on bike. car window rolls down... "how do i turn off the traction control?"

...dick

94boosted
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

:werd:

Didn't know that either, gota start doing that when it's dark.

clem24
12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 86max
I'm surprised more people don't use their rear sunshades :dunno:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/86MAX/beyondthanks.jpg

Uh cause your car probably needs one to begin with and 99.9% of cars on the road don't have one. But that's pretty cool.. Where do you get those and how the heck would you attach it to the sunshade?

I always wave but sometimes I'll flash. Fuck many times I'll wave when someone let me merge even if we both have equal rights. It's not really a "thank you" but more like "awesome thanks for knowing how to merge".

With my new car, I'll let just about ANYONE in as long as they signal beforehand. The last thing I want is for people to squeeze in and splash dirt and gravel all over the front of my car. I also leave plenty of space. If anything, I find it's much more relaxing to drive that way; I don't get to the office all pissed off. :clap: One more thing I do is NOT expect a wave. I find in the past, if someone waves, then I am happy. If they don't, I get pissed off and give them a You're Welcome BITCH. Sometimes I'll just look away just so I don't get pissed off.

AzNxHyDrA
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Neither did I. I mean I've seen tractor-trailers do it, because you can't see them wave, but only once have I actually seen a normal driver do it, and for a moment I thought "MutherFucker, I let him in, and now he's broke down in front of me!" :rofl:

It's the first time I encountered the single hazard today. My mom was driving and had the exact same thought as you.

If I didn't come upon this thread yesterday.. I definitely would have thought the same thing as well.

ArjayAquino
12-20-2012, 01:57 PM
When my rear windows are fogged up, I turn my rear wipers on for one wipe lol.

Kloubek
12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Then he brake checks you and you rear end him. That would be an amusing outcome.

Nah. We're talking about a 1/3-1/2 second flick of the highbeam. I don't think anyone would be too pissed about that...

clem24
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Nah. We're talking about a 1/3-1/2 second flick of the highbeam. I don't think anyone would be too pissed about that...

Whatever.. On one of those days when it was snowing really heavily, some fucking douchebag in a truck decided not to stop at a red light and proceeded to turn right, right into my lane as I was going through a green. I slammed on the brakes and flashed him. He brake checked me and gave me the finger. I changed lanes just in time. Stupid people are stupid.

Unknown303
12-20-2012, 02:18 PM

I'm just joshing. My high beams are my way of communicating forward, hazards are for backwards.

haggis88
12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
if the cars turn signals go fast enough to flash straight after each other, then i'd do that LEFTRIGHTLEFTRIGHT, otherwise just use the hazards

used to wave/flick lights all the time in the UK, but i've never been thanked here, so i only do it now if someone is super nice on the road

SKR
12-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Every once in a while I'll give them a peanut butter and jam.

Z4sKg18lTqw

Usually I throw the hazards on for a blink or two.