PDA

View Full Version : what are your Christmas traditions?

03ozwhip
12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
thought this would be fun to express what you guys do on every Xmas eve or day, maybe it will give some other people ideas on what to make a tradition of their own!

my Xmas tradition consists of going to my moms on Xmas eve and having turkey and all the fixins including the amazing sweet potatoes, then open all of the presents that are from the family that are there, then try not to get into a family fight lol

xmas day, wake up at 5am and open presents, then go on with the day like normal until i go over to the inlaws, have turkey and cabbage rolls and the other fixins, sadly, no sweet potatoes. all the guys go out to the garage and either work on the cars in there, or talk like we are going to, with beer in our hands, while the women cook.

we also try not to get into a family fight there as well lol what are your guys traditions?

Boosted131
12-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Open 1 present Christmas eve, go to cousins house for Christmas day and visit grandma there as well. Open presents there. Come home later in evening.

LadyLuck
12-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
then try not to get into a family fight lol

Are you Balkan? lol

Open gifts with dad and sis in the morning (mom doesn't do christmas), spend the next 4 hours talking to everyone in europe, dad usually entertains other bosnians with his lamb feast in the afternoon while I make my turkey dinner/wine rounds with other friends.

baygirl
12-19-2012, 07:42 PM
This year we get to start new traditions:) Christmas Eve will be dinner with the in-laws, then we head home and have Christmas morning with our girls. Early afternoon they go with their respective other parent, so I have no idea what happens after that.

*Disclaimer:All plans are tentative and dependent on me not killing a customer between now and Christmas.

03ozwhip
12-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Are you Balkan? lol

lol nah, but when you are a mix breed of native and german/irish, it tends to get a little saucy after dinner...sometimes even before lol

max_boost
12-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Sleeping in, doing absolutely nothing and then family dinner at 6pm.

Sentry
12-19-2012, 08:35 PM
John McClane and Nakatomi Plaza.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Some years I go skiing on Christmas, otherwise just Christmas dinner with my family.

gstone
12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Christmas for me occurs on the 24th. It's a fairly typical Polish Christmas. On the night of the 24th there is a multi course dinner prepared without meat. This starts with all of us going outside to wait and spot for the first visible star in the sky. Once a star is spotted we go inside and start our meal, so first off mushroom borsch (made with dried mushrooms from Poland), then white cheese and potatoe perogies, followed by salmon or cod, after which we indulge in cheese cake and poppy seed cakes for dessert. I should also mention that our, and any culturaly Polish Christmas dinner table, always sets an empty seat at the table that remains open to whomever may come to the door.

After the family is done eating we will go to the tree and open all of our presents, party on, go for midnight mass and then come home and go to bed.

On the morning of the 25th there will be a huge breakfast served with an assortment of deli meats and left overs from the night before, and then we will start to prepare the Christmas turkey, which we have accepted as a Canadian tradition, cook it and invite friends over. The rest is just merry times!

03ozwhip
12-19-2012, 09:23 PM
^^see, thats nice, thats a tradition that is based off of your culture, i love the fact that your family(who probably emmigrated here) took your culture and our canadian culture and mixed it, i wish that everyone would do that instead of complaining about "merry christmas" etc.

i have 0 culture in my family excluding my in laws that have cabbage rolls on xmas because theyre ukrainian lol

rx7_turbo2
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Chinese food at Dragon Pearl in Inglewood Christmas Eve.

After dinner and since Christmas is better with kids, and my wife and I don't have any and her Aunt and Uncle have 5 we head to their place, hang out, read "Twas a Night Before Christmas", wake up Christmas Day open gifts with the kids, spend the next 4-5 hours helping kids build whatever Lego they got from Santa.

Finally around 1pm or so Christmas Day we either head to our place or my sisters place, meet my parents and do our gifts.

Finally dinner. The usual Turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots/parsnips, etc. Then I'll open whatever bottle of Scotch/Rye/Whiskey I got earlier in the day and enjoy many tall glasses with my feet up beside a roaring fire.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2012, 10:04 PM
I work too much leading up to the holidays, then become bitter and angry by the time I see my family.

FixedGear
12-19-2012, 10:06 PM
We have dinners with the extended families on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I usually end up drinking beer, wine, and/or booze pretty much the whole night on Christmas Eve (haha). Lucky for me, the family doesn't judge me for it (were German and polish so it's in our blood)

Presents used to be a big deal, but my generation is grown now and none of us have any kids yet. I imagine that once we start having kids, the presents thing will become a huge thing again haha

Tik-Tok
12-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Christmas eve Chinese food. When I was a kid, we'd open our gifts from Grandma & Grandpa, probably do that again when we have kids.

Xmas day, big breakfast with in-laws, then open gifts, then turkey dinner with them at night.

Maybelater
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Spend time with the family, one of the only times we can get everyone in one place.

Vinman
12-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Home made burgers on the BBQ for dinner Christmas Eve, started about 10 years ago and never missed one since.

03ozwhip
12-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I work too much leading up to the holidays, then become bitter and angry by the time I see my family.

holy fack, you too? lol

Originally posted by Maybelater
Spend time with the family, one of the only times we can get everyone in one place.

thats one thing i miss. back before i was married i was always at my grandmas house with all of my aunts/uncles/cousins and we are a family of singers so we would play vids, eat, sing carols( i know, sounds cheesy, but i loved it) but since everyone grew up, had kids, grandma died, theres no more family dinners. it sucks kinda :(

Originally posted by Vinman
Home made burgers on the BBQ for dinner Christmas Eve, started about 10 years ago and never missed one since.

thats also awesome....cold as balls sometimes i bet, but good on ya for keeping it tradition!

cancer man
12-20-2012, 05:13 AM
This year we are starting our Christmas tradition and only friends are invited.
Damn near got 20 to life between the inlaws and my side of the family.
But i love the season and you can't pick your family.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Seth1968
12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
nmAOk04-dQg

austic
12-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Christmas eve I take my younger cousins snowboarding to Sunshine, then off to the GF's aunts house for dinner. Christmas morning i head over to my parents house to open presents and have a steak and eggs breakfast with many rounds of rum and eggnog. Then I go home and start making the Turducken for dinner which involves basting it with wine every hour (aka one for me one for the bird).

Then back to my parents house for dinner.
:love:

urrforce
12-20-2012, 10:55 AM
christmas morning is usually spent with my family the presents and all of that stuff and then for the last couple of years i skip out on dinner with them to spend the evening at the gf's place with her family and dinner there

then boxing day used to be a shopping and raid the stores day but technology has solved that lol and that is usually pent gaming with the homies and shit

4runneron36s
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by gstone
Christmas for me occurs on the 24th. It's a fairly typical Polish Christmas. On the night of the 24th there is a multi course dinner prepared without meat. This starts with all of us going outside to wait and spot for the first visible star in the sky. Once a star is spotted we go inside and start our meal, so first off mushroom borsch (made with dried mushrooms from Poland), then white cheese and potatoe perogies, followed by salmon or cod, after which we indulge in cheese cake and poppy seed cakes for dessert. I should also mention that our, and any culturaly Polish Christmas dinner table, always sets an empty seat at the table that remains open to whomever may come to the door.

After the family is done eating we will go to the tree and open all of our presents, party on, go for midnight mass and then come home and go to bed.

On the morning of the 25th there will be a huge breakfast served with an assortment of deli meats and left overs from the night before, and then we will start to prepare the Christmas turkey, which we have accepted as a Canadian tradition, cook it and invite friends over. The rest is just merry times!

You forgot pickled herrings, yum!

I'm the same except that on Christmas day we have dinner with the wife's family (Chinese). This year we are going to the ghetto to a Chinese restaraunt...

Unknown303
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I work Christmas, so you can all enjoy having electricity.

Seth1968
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Dinner at 7-Eleven.

sdevils15
12-20-2012, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 03ozwhip
[B]

holy fack, you too? lol

thats one thing i miss. back before i was married i was always at my grandmas house with all of my aunts/uncles/cousins and we are a family of singers so we would play vids, eat, sing carols( i know, sounds cheesy, but i loved it) but since everyone grew up, had kids, grandma died, theres no more family dinners. it sucks kinda :(

Is this your dinner? 1bwWUCfuP0w

Kritafo
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

holy fack, you too? lol

thats also awesome....cold as balls sometimes i bet, but good on ya for keeping it tradition!

Same boat, we basically have each other and that is it. Gone are the big dinners and get togethers. Enjoy them while you can. We head to Chinatown on Christmas Eve, if it's nice enough we walk around down-town looking at the lights. Christmas morning we do a big home made waffles, berries from the garden with whipping cream. Turkey in the afternoon and just try to get through the day. Some years we spend it with our very good friends but they are away this Christmas. We sort of adopted each other just so my kids can call someone Aunt and Uncle and have someone special in their lives.

nonofyobiz
12-20-2012, 05:11 PM
We do christmas with my mom, cousin+ her husband, and my sisters family. On Christmas eve we just do like appetizers and finger foods and drinks etc. Then we'll do a steal gift between everyone, maybe board game. basically just a laid back fun night. Then Christmas day open presents, late afternoon everyone will meet again at someone elses house for turkey dinner. Christmas day is pretty standard but always starts with bailey's and coffee. :D

This year should be a little crazier, my cousins parents are coming from out of town as well as my brothers family so it should be good!

apparently we are doing zoo lights christmas eve as well

GS430
12-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Are you Balkan? lol

I lol'd hard beacuse I am and that's the first thing I thought of.

03ozwhip
12-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sdevils15
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 03ozwhip
[B]

Is this your dinner? 1bwWUCfuP0w

LOL, not even close. that wouldnt be welcomed at my family xmas haha

Benny
12-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Sentry
John McClane and Nakatomi Plaza.

That's a winner. My go-to is the Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special. Watch it every year in the days leading up to Christmas. Generally on the Eve, I get together with a few friends and get bombed and wrap presents. They always turn out like shit but that doesn't matter.

dubhead
12-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Benny

That's a winner. My go-to is the Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special. Watch it every year in the days leading up to Christmas. Generally on the Eve, I get together with a few friends and get bombed and wrap presents. They always turn out like shit but that doesn't matter.

The Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special and getting drunk and stoned with friends and family is the first thing that came to mind when I seen this thread

Dumbass17
12-21-2012, 06:46 AM
this year is going to be strange
2nd xmas in australia, no snow, barely any decorations out and about (besides my living room haha).
two flatmates are aussie and doing the xmas thing with their families
my live-in canadian gf has her first xmas here and she is very homesick so not sure how she's going to handle it. but i spoiled her.
xmas day is going to be bbq on the beach and beersbee (beer frisbee) and ugly xmas party for orphans (all my friends who aren't aussie and have no family here get are getting together) and xmas day we're making turtle burgers!

schurchill39
12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
We have always opened 1 present on Christmas eve from my grandma which is always always PJs. We then sleep in them and wake up and open presents. Since I have started dating the GF a few years ago I haven't been home on christmas eve (usually go boxing day) so when I open gifts there the first one I open is from my grandma then go change into the PJs for the rest of the morning. Its kind of silly because I don't wear PJs but its tradition and it wouldn't be christmas without it.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2012, 12:43 PM
My in-laws do christmas eve pj's too.

LadyLuck
12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by GS430

I lol'd hard beacuse I am and that's the first thing I thought of.

There seems to be quite a few of us on here :thumbsup:

urrforce
12-23-2012, 10:23 PM
it's just around the corner lol

can't wait to see the family's faces when they open their gifts and the gf gets her ipad mini!!

edit - not that xmas is just about gifts lol but you know

Vagabond142
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
"Santa" gifts (usually fun or silly gifts) on Christmas Eve. Then we drive around looking at decorated houses for a while. Then back home for evening snacks and discussion...

Christmas morning, we always have poached eggs and croissants (our tradition), then do stockings, then clean up and get lunch ready, then lunch, then "main" presents, discussion, Christmas supper, then wait for next year XD

stealth
12-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I work Christmas, so you can all enjoy having electricity.

AESO?

jdmXSI
12-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Christmas Eve is usually spent by opening 1 present from my mom. Then the rest of the night is spent with friends having drinks at Melrose. As any Christmas morning is spent opening gifts and then we start cooking dinner around 2-3pm, have family over which ends around 8-9pm. This year is going to be different since my grandma is fairly incapacitated and in a nursing home. So we'll probably bring left over turkey dinner to her after.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

z24_wheels
12-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Christmas eve is cookies for Santa and carrots and celery for the reindeer with the kids (thanks to the bunnies for eating them). This year I am going to make reindeer tracks. Then playing Wii golf with my bro and bro-in-law (drinking rules).

Christmas morning is hung over chaos with kids tackling gifts and trying to keep the recycling tidy lol.

bjstare
12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Used to go to my aunt and uncles every Christmas Eve, followed by presents at home Christmas morning, and dinner at our place with some friends and family.

My parents bought a house in Hawaii last year though so now for the second year in a row, we'll be having Christmas Eve with a different aunt and uncle who live close by, and Christmas Day we just do stockings. Christmas dinner is with the same aunt and uncle, but we also eat with some of my parents friends from Chicago that have their winter house around the block

03ozwhip
12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
^^my question is, why arent you in hawaii with your parents for this shitty ass weather? lol jk i know its damn expensive, but still, im assuming you would rather be there!

kvg
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
The kids are wise to the Santa hustle, so this year we are starting a new "tradition". We told the kids to give us a short list of things they really want and we'll pick one plus stockings. Christmas morning is going to be a hunt for the gift after stockings and then they can go play in traffic until dinner. In past years they received insane amounts of presents and never used half of them, I would rather just get them one extravagant gift and done. They still get stuff from grand parents, aunts, uncles, but they are keeping it to one this year too:thumbsup:

C_Dave45
12-24-2012, 02:22 PM
We just sit around and relax in front of a fire. Just finished my last purchase of the year. Now it'll be from the living room, to the hot tub, to the living room, with frequent stops by the ice box and liquor cabinet.

Last purchase of the year:

http://i50.tinypic.com/23wpbmh.jpg

03ozwhip
12-24-2012, 02:31 PM
^hey little girls, would you like to see my log? come to the back of my van" LOL! thats awesome guys. KVG, i like that rule, but for some reason, id feel like im jipping my kid haha

how old are your kids if you dont mind me asking? mine is only 3, so you know, tons of presents right now.

kvg
12-24-2012, 03:05 PM
KVG, i like that rule, but for some reason, id feel like im jipping my kid haha

how old are your kids if you dont mind me asking? mine is only 3, so you know, tons of presents right now.

My girls are 9 and 11. I spent around 1K on 2 gifts and they are going to end up with almost everything on their lists(5-6 things) thanks to family. We have had Christmas mornings where they received dozens of gifts and we're just past that point. Our house has just become so over saturated with stuff that we have been donating and giving away lately.

03ozwhip
12-24-2012, 03:22 PM
awesome, im pretty sure its the illusion of only one gift that kids have to get around. good call though, i might do that a bunch of years from now when he understands these kinds of things.

masoncgy
12-24-2012, 03:48 PM
No real traditions other than just trying to stay calm and collected during the whole season. I am not a Christmas person so that alone is hard enough for me!

I like the one nice gift idea. I have really scaled down the spending on Christmas toys & electronics as it's really just a big waste of money. My kids have so much stuff they don't play with already, I don't really see the point in filling it with more of the same, so now it's about buying the one really nice gift they really want.

It's not really like it's just "one" gift either. They still get gobs of stuff from their relatives. All the more reason to reduce the unnecessary/unappreciated spending.

bjstare
12-24-2012, 08:05 PM
^^my question is, why arent you in hawaii with your parents for this shitty ass weather? lol jk i know its damn expensive, but still, im assuming you would rather be there!

Haha we are in Hawaii! The different aunt and uncle live close by in Hawaii. Guess I wasn't clear enough in my first post. Who needs a white Christmas?! Not this guy.

Ocean front outdoor Christmas Eve service tonight :)

baygirl
12-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Apparently a new Christmas tradition will be me yelling at Spikers to stop playing and help me put the gifts out....why did I agree to nerf guns???