PDA

View Full Version : Dried Fruit (good or bad)?

rosemarie
12-20-2012, 01:48 AM
I went to Fresh Market over the weekend and bought some dried banana chips, pineapple rings and dried apples. I was thinking I was making a healthy choice until I looked at the ingredients this morning.

Bananas, coconut oil and sugar.

Sugar???

I looked at the others and saw that sugar was in them as well. So, are these a healthy snack choice or should I not be eating this?

ExtraSlow
12-20-2012, 07:01 AM
the word "Healthy" doesn't really mean anything. Sugar isn't actually "bad" for you, if you aren't already taking in too many calories.

Edit: Just noticed the link in your signature. If you arn't already a paid sponsor, you'll want to take that out.

zipdoa
12-20-2012, 08:45 AM
For dried fruit, I get the organic figs and pineapple from costco. No additional ingredients, and both are delicious.

Disoblige
12-20-2012, 09:13 AM
^^ :werd: Buy dried fruit with no additional ingredients.

The ones you bought with sugar are a healthier alternative to other snacks, but because of the sugar I wouldn't eat them too often.

hampstor
12-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Our dried fruit is "Good"

My wife dries our fruit. We used to have a Ronco dehydrator until the trays melted... now have one of the ones from Bass Pro. She doesn't add anything to it normally so i'd say it's Good compared to what you buy in the stores.

For the most part, we buy fresh fruit on sale, and whatever we don't finish before it goes bad, she dehydrates it. For banana chips, we buy the 'baking bananas' since they're ripe and cheaper.