PDA

View Full Version : need help transferring music files...

03ozwhip
12-20-2012, 09:58 PM
alright, so i got my wife a new laptop for xmas, so im getting rid of the shitty ass desktop we have. however, she has itunes on that shitty desktop and i dont want to lose her songs and want them on the laptop.

there is some terrible roxio burning program on the desktop i used for some of the files that would transfer to a cd, then i imported them to itunes on the new laptop, but the mp3 files wont transfer over properly even if i make it a data disc.

i can plug the disc in the laptop and transfer the files over to itunes and they show up and play, BUT when i take the disc out, they dont play anymore because the files are gone.

what is the best easiest option to move all of these songs over? im not a computer guy, so im sure im doing it the hard way. TIA.

urrforce
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
turn on "home sharing" on both computers in itunes.

and then you can transfer the libraries over the only thing it doesnt do is transfer over any playlists.

that being said the last time i had to do this was with itunes 9 iirc so not sure if it is the same with the current versions

03ozwhip
12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
ya, see i thought that might work, but when setting up itunes for the first time on the laptop today, it says that it will transfer between other windows 7 computers and the desktop doesnt have windows 7. i might still try it though.

urrforce
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
nothing to lose in trying

otherwise an external hd might be your best bet?

rage2
12-20-2012, 11:24 PM
The Cheap (free) and Annoying methods:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27244/how-to-transfer-your-itunes-collection-from-one-computer-to-another/

The Baller ($25/year) method:

Enable iTunes match. It'll match all your songs, paid or otherwise, to the cloud. It only uploads songs that you have and not on the iTunes store library, so it doesn't take too long. On the new computer, install iTunes, turn on match, and voila, all your songs are there. If you want them on your hard drive, you can choose to download it. I personally leave everything on the cloud to reduce hard disk space usage.

On your iDevices, turn on iTunes match. Now, whenever you add a song in iTunes or add/change/delete playlists, it automatically shows up on your iDevices without having to sync music again. Same goes for changes on iDevices, it'll automatically show up in your iTunes and other devices.

rage2
12-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i can plug the disc in the laptop and transfer the files over to itunes and they show up and play, BUT when i take the disc out, they dont play anymore because the files are gone.
If you've gotten this far, pop in the disc, go to File --> Library --> Organize Library. Check off consolidate files. It'll copy all of the files on disk to your local HDD iTunes music folder. Check off Reorganize files and it'll name and folder 'em nicely there too.

03ozwhip
12-20-2012, 11:28 PM
thanks, ill try that when she isn around again, appreciate the help!