PDA

View Full Version : DSM Interior noise level

Strider
02-14-2004, 12:28 AM
My brother in law and I went to test drive a Talon Tsi today and the first thing I noticed was that it was really loud inside the cockpit when driving. The owner said there was no mods at all, and since I haven't driven or ridden in a DSM before, I'm wondering if this is typical.

Obviously I didn't happen to be carrying my noise meter with me :rolleyes: , so I can only say that it seemed too loud to carry out an ordinary conversation between the people in the front seat.

A few other things noted were that the gear shift didn't seem well defined, there was a slight buzz coming from the muffler when accelerating, and the car stalled a couple times with the clutch all the way in. Can anyone tell me which of these would be typical for a 92 DSM, and what (if any) problems these could point to?

Thanks

EK 2.0
02-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Shifter yes...very normal man welcome to the world of DSM's...although in the majority of cases, the shift quality can be greatly improved for lil or no cash...

As far as the noise, I did find my DSM to be a lil on the loud side, but not as loud as how you describe so I dont know...Muffler maybe from age, or a loose heat sheild...

Was it an AWD??...and if so can you describe the noise in a lil more detail??...oh and here is a link for you to check out man...

DSM Questions... (http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html)

Arif

Strider
02-14-2004, 01:02 AM
oh, another question...
should the timing belt be exposed??

Strider
02-14-2004, 01:12 AM
yes, it was AWD
I'm thinking that the noise may have been from an aged muffler... sounded like a car with a ricer exhaust i suppose.

EK 2.0
02-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Strider
oh, another question...
should the timing belt be exposed??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...but a lot of noise comes out from under that timing belt cover...so if its not present then yes, there will be a fair bit more noise...

2.0turbo
02-14-2004, 05:49 PM
When I got my car, a 93 tsi it was so quiet that I didn't like it. I had to get a big exhaust to feel more comfortable. Even at like 180km there was hardley any noice. Being an older car that your looking at, the exhaust might have rusty holes in it or something. 1g talons should not be loud.
About the timing belt being uncovered. That could cause a serious problem if any oil gets on it. It is not uncommon for an old valve cover to leak some oil through a small crack or the cap could have an old seal.
Anyhow, sounds like crap. How many KMS. I know someone selling a 91 in good shape with 93 motor and trany. FWD.

heavyD
02-14-2004, 08:02 PM
1G DSM's are known for poor shift linkage so a notchy shifter is common. There is a transmission fluid called "BG Synchroshift" that supposedly helps big time. What kind of tires were on the car. Did he remove the cat? I have driven some 1G DSM's and they were normal compared to any other sport compact. No the timing belt should not be exposed all it takes os a small rock to get in between the belt & gears and it's over. There is a cover for it. Check out the old 14B turbo, pull the intake tube off at the compressor inlet of the turbo and feel for shaft play. There should be a little but not alot. BWT my 2G is the most quietest sport compact I have ever owned.

Strider
02-14-2004, 11:44 PM
hmmmm.... i guess i was right to be concerned when he started poking at the timing belt and said "the timing belt is in great condition, you can see it right here"

i think that the noise was coming from the exhaust, but i'm not too sure, he said there wasn't any mods.

I suppose I'll pass, even though AWDs rarely come on sale.

Thanks