PDA

View Full Version : Bereavement flight to manila

403ep3
12-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Anyone know a travel agent that I can get a reasonable price for a trip to philippines for two weeks as soon as possible?

my mom's mother passed away and she wants to be back home

please if you know anyone, message me.

lilmira
12-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I believe you can get bereavement rate from airline directly. They might ask for a letter from the doctor though. When I had to book mine, I paid full rate and got the refund at the counter when I had the letter.

Disoblige
12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't know much about this, so I thought I'd ask. Maybe it will help OP anyways.

Do all airlines have bereavement rates? If not, then maybe it would be cheaper to get an agent to find the best prices for you. Sometimes a flight from a different airline would be cheaper than another airline even after the bereavement rate accounted for.

There is a Russian lady at the Marlborough Mall Sears Travel center that I've had a very good experience with. I forgot her name, unfortunately. She tried her best, called a bunch of places even though it was Sunday, and got me the best price last minute. It was indeed a very good price too, since I tried looking for 6+ hours before seeing her.

Tik-Tok
12-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Not all airlines do bereavement, but the ones who do even say right on their website that you could find a lower rate with a seat sale (even with their own booking).

cancer man
12-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Air Canada
Flight 570
Korean Air
Flight 12 / 621 Flight Details 3:50pm
Calgary, AB Canada (YYC) 10:55am
Arrive on Tue, Dec 25
Manila, Philippines (MNL) 28hrs 5min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Change planes in Seoul, South Korea (ICN) CAD 3,756.82

spikerS
12-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by cancer man
Air Canada
Flight 570
Korean Air
Flight 12 / 621 Flight Details 3:50pm
Calgary, AB Canada (YYC) 10:55am
Arrive on Tue, Dec 25
Manila, Philippines (MNL) 28hrs 5min - 2 Stops

Change planes in Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Change planes in Seoul, South Korea (ICN) CAD 3,756.82

holy fuck that is expensive.

Last year at this time I just got back from Manila, and m round trip airfair was only $1250, and only 1/2 the travel time...

jampack
12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by spikers

holy fuck that is expensive.

Last year at this time I just got back from Manila, and m round trip airfair was only $1250, and only 1/2 the travel time...

This. It's sad but it is the time of the year. I was looking for flights as well for a co-worker of mine who had lost her grandmother a couple of days ago. For 2 passengers, almost $7k.. I will try and contact her so she can check with airlines if there are any bereavement options for her.

jampack
12-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Delete. Double post sorry!

jdmakkord
12-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Tough time of year to find a cheap airfare. FYI bereavement fares are not normally the cheapest option. They are a discounted flexible ticket. Generally flex ticket fare classes are on the higher end.

403ep3
12-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

She's going with her brother leaving the 23rd for a couple weeks. There goes 5060 bucks! Damn, it's worth it though, I'm trying to cover most of it with my brother.

Kritafo
12-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Tough time of year to find a cheap airfare. FYI bereavement fares are not normally the cheapest option. They are a discounted flexible ticket. Generally flex ticket fare classes are on the higher end.

this is exactly what I was going to check. Since not all airlines provide and some of them only offer refund. Call around and get some prices, see what you can find for best price. You might want to check out some stand-by fares.

flipstah
12-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Safe travels and condolences.

I'm here right now and in the middle of a big typhoon. :(

spikerS
12-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Safe travels and condolences.

I'm here right now and in the middle of a big typhoon. :(

I still say lucky you! Even the rain there was warm. I would love to be there any time of year. I want to go back so damn badly!